Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

MrsJamin Thu 14-Feb-13 18:48:28

Yes lljkk how did you get on? I am still waiting to hear from my applications... I have a feeling neither will come to anything sad

MrsJamin Thu 14-Feb-13 18:49:18

drmummmsy, man up and put the application in will you?! :p

drmummmsy Thu 14-Feb-13 19:04:55

Thanks MrsJasmin wink first thing tomorrow, I promise!

lljkk Fri 15-Feb-13 13:15:33

Okay, DrMummmsy, time for you 2 check in to verify mission complete (wagging finger).

I've made a good start on the current target job (health researcher). <<whispers>> I think it might be a bit of a boring job. But it would suit me in many respects (pt, decent wage, nice employer).

drmummmsy Fri 15-Feb-13 16:34:20

Mission Accomplished lljkk! AAAANNNDDDD they phoned this afternoon, and I have an interview on Monday!

AAANNNNDD I passed from the assessment stage to interview stage for a local council admin roll!

all in, it was a good day grin

lljkk - are you writing an application for the health researcher job now? at the minute, i'd far rather have a job that suits me, and is good for family life, even if it is a bit boring, than do the stuff I'm really interested in and be a total stress-ball

MrsJamin Fri 15-Feb-13 17:04:45

well done drmummmsy!

drmummmsy Fri 15-Feb-13 17:38:47

^oh goodness, role, not roll (i can spell!)

thanks MrsJamin grin

biryani Sat 16-Feb-13 08:59:05

Can I join please? I''ve been looking after dd for 10 years now, and time is passing! I used to have a very full-on job in higher education which I couldn't't possibly combine with her. I''ve been doing casual work in shops, cleaning and teaching to make ends meet. I currently have a casual driving job which I love. I dread the thought of having a demanding job again! I''ve written myself off now, really, as I'm getting on and feel I have little to offer. My Cv looks ok but is 10 years out of date. Help!

lljkk Sat 16-Feb-13 18:53:40

Biryani: Casual work isn't bad, was it thru an agency, can you describe it in terms of hours/week or experience accrued? What about any regular voluntary work in last 10 yrs? Any skills or experience you can attribute to that?

2 of my applications had 12noon deadlines yesterday; since they didn't phone I think I'm out of luck (poo). Mentally that's what I need to do, work hard on application then send it off and forget all about it (I save a copy of the job descrip in case they do ring).

MrsJamin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:43

I have an interview! In a few weeks' time. It's a bit terrifying, I have to do a presentation but I am hopeful!

biryani Sun 17-Feb-13 16:03:04

Llijkk(hope that's right! ) work was all through word of mouth, apart from teaching, which was through an agency. I just seem to be so negative. Casual work actually suits me fine, but there's just not enough of it. As regards your own applications-good luck. It's a bugger when you work so hard to be rejected. This is what I dread most-being looked up and down and rejected by some pimply oik in a shiny suit.

In my experience, agencies only need you to bolster up their lists and not really interested in finding you work.

lljkk Sun 17-Feb-13 17:44:24

Good luck MrsJamin smile. How will you do presentation? Powerpoint or what other methods?

MrsJamin Sun 17-Feb-13 17:52:52

I think I am only being interviewed by one person so I think I will take a laptop with some slides with pictures / map etc but just basically talk. I hate when people have PowerPoint and just read out their slides.

Snowydrift Mon 18-Feb-13 11:12:12

Good Luck MrsJamin. Don't forget your power cable and to take a print out of your presentation just in case for some reason the computer doesn't work!

Biryani - what transferable skills can you write down, it's certainly a plus that you've been working.

lljkk hope you get some phone calls today! They're not likely to read all the applications through on a Friday afternoon are they?

My interview was a disaster (did I already say this?) and they called on Friday to wish me all the best for my future career but it wouldn't be with them! Have an interview tomorrow, 50%, 10 mins away. I really hope I can get this. Preparing now!

lljkk Mon 18-Feb-13 14:25:22

Awww Snowy, look at the disaster interview as a dress rehearsal, right? Dress rehearsals are usually disasters no matter how well opening night goes.

I've not heard anything today, other than a nice "We regret to inform you..." letter. I turned on the mobile to check for texts only to be informed by surgery I missed an appointment on Friday (must be their mistake, I had no appointments with them, I'm certain of it).

A job I applied for in mid Jan but didn't hear back until last week ("we regret to inform you..." email): it's being readvertised on the institution website, much to my consternation and minor excitement. This time with a few more specifics about the skillsets they want (I could still do the job well, I bet). "Previous applicants need not apply" at the start, though.

Would I be terribly bitter & twisted to hope and pray they don't get any suitable applicants this time, either? <<grrrrrr>>>

Snowydrift Tue 19-Feb-13 08:40:36

I'm scared! I really need to get this job. It's even on my bus line! Argh! I'm going through all the interview questions now and trying to think of answers and look up the words I need to know.

lljkk- that's a bit of a pain about the job especially when they're still advertising it. Is it a website like monster that's advertising? I've heard that sometimes companies put out adverts even if they're not intending to hire people so that it looks (to the competition) that they're doing well and expanding. Hence the repeated, word-for-word adverts. So, they say previous applicants need not apply. How about you write a "spontaneous" application? Make sure your letter is different to the previous one and tailor it to both the other advert and the new one, with the skill sets they say. Maybe even say you are willing to work on a temp contract at first with a view to going permanent? Then you're not technically applying for the same job even if you are. Do you have the name of the head of department rather than someone in HR?

lljkk Tue 19-Feb-13 10:09:06

It's the actual employer's own website, they obviously didn't get candidates they wanted, didn't even have a decent internal candidate. It's a maternity leave cover position, I think I even put in my cover letter that I would take the job for less than the advertised salary given that I would need some time to learn a few bits of software (esp. SQL, I've read a manual, it's easy enough to grasp).

The job has the same "open date" as b4, so they obviously want to treat it as same position. I am tempted to apply anyway, not sure if that will be taken badly, but with completely different CV, will mull it over.

New App Deadline is this Friday. maybe I will see if it's readvertised yet AGAIN after that and apply again then.I imagine current post-holder is off on MatLeave no later than 1 April so they don't have a lot of time to sort something out.

Snowydrift Tue 19-Feb-13 10:34:05

Ok, don't put that in your cover letter. That's bad and it makes you seem desperate and draws their attention to the fact you think you can't do the job properly. Can you read up about the software and say something like "I am experienced in the use of XX" (something you do know) and then put in brackets (similar to SQL in this way). Don't put you've never used it, that's too negative for a cover letter. You must only put positive things in it. When you get to an interview, if they ask outright, then you say you've never used it, but you know this, you are a wick learner bla bla. But not in the cover letter!

Oh, and if they changed the job description then it's not technically the same job you'd be applying for is it wink

Snowydrift Tue 19-Feb-13 10:37:00

Hmmm, wick = quick!

lljkk Tue 19-Feb-13 10:41:03

Damage already done, lol, first time i applied.

I don't get this job screening stuff at all. If I were hiring, I would rather an applicant addressed directly every job spec whether they met job spec well or not and if they were deficient how they would address that deficiency. I would respect the applicant all the more for a frank assessment of their own capacity to meet every job spec.

And then as a hirer I wouldn't have to sit there reading between the lines, searching for the things the applicant didn't say but that I needed to know nonetheless.

But I know, I know, I've got the message now (from elsewhere, too). That applicant is only supposed to talk themselves up and completely ignore any possible failings, or put the most tenuous spin on their capacity to rise to that job spec. Weird system, but I will work with it.

I didn't save full copy of first job descrip and I don't know if it is that different, just reformatted methinks.

lljkk Tue 19-Feb-13 14:57:19

Ah nuts, heard back from the temp job I thought I could do well "we regret to inform...": I have asked them for a little feedback about what did successful applicants have that I didn't. Hope that was reasonable to ask and they actually give a few details.

I am still convinced that 8 yrs away from external employment and my age are the REAL reasons I'm not getting interviews. But hey ho hum, we shall see.

stephcat Thu 21-Feb-13 23:37:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mrssmooth Fri 22-Feb-13 17:38:36

I did Avon for nearly 4 years. Think I averaged about £70 every campaign (ie every 3 weeks). A lot of wandering around in all weathers for very little financial reward IMHO! Congrats on getting your sales leadership though!

mrssmooth Fri 22-Feb-13 17:40:00

Never got trained in anything either ... Maybe my SL wasn't that great! :/

stephcat Sat 23-Feb-13 00:07:21

hi mrs smooth, sorry to hear it sounds like you lucked out with SL - same with any employment reallly if your boss lets you down its hard to succeed. I must add I am a fair weather rep ;-) (how do you get those smiley faces to work!)

It all depends on territory and support from SL - me - well I am a strong believer in giving all you can to your team to help them, after all you are only as good as his/her team. If you fancy going for it again PM me! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now