Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

lljkk Wed 06-Feb-13 11:32:17

ps: it's pretty accepted that folk like lunchtime supervisors take time off for things like electrician to visit or child at home ill, so not a problem if you need that flexibility.

Thingymajigs Wed 06-Feb-13 19:22:06

One of the biggest obstacles I have is having no one to look after the children during holidays so I felt stuck to evening work unless I can find the holy grail of the school only hours job. Those are good ideas though, I need to keep an open mind and apply for any opportunities I can find.
My brother came round and helped me with the layout of my CV today and I realised I had no one to act as a reference and 10 years experience missing. Just an Access course and blank space. I think an initial step into volunteering to gain confidence and references might help a little. Also I'm not sure how work will affect carers allowance or CTC so I really need to find out what options I have.
The idea of doing interviews fills me with dread and I used to be great at them as a teenager. I am in awe of you and everyone who has made that scary jump back into work. Guess I need to just go for it and stop thinking about it.
Thank you for your help. It's given me the boost I needed. smile

LillethTheCat Wed 06-Feb-13 19:51:38

Thingy DH gets carers allowance. Im pretty sure (though not certain) if you work over 16 hours you lose it, otherwise it just stays the same. Then again Im not sure if anything changes with that anyway due to the new benefits system coming in I know I really should look into it, but I dont know where to start

Snowydrift Wed 06-Feb-13 20:05:29

Drmummsy I'd echo lljkk also known for lack of ambition here! and although you'd feel crap if you did have to give up I think it's totally understandable that if you're in a temporary job you will still be looking for a more permanent position. Would the temp contract not also have a notice period (shows ignorance here) ?

Thingymajigs Welcome to the scary world of job hunting. Write your cv, get a couple of example ones off of google and then ask two or three people to read it through. For references, do you know someone (unrelated) who has a job with a good job title who could at least give you a personal reference?

lljkk did they call back?

bee how are the interviews going?

I had a bit of a 'discussion'with DH last night when I told him about the interview. He said if I sounded as enthusiastic as I did then noone would ever want to work with me... It then asked me some questions about what it could be and when I had no idea what he meant he told me I was just stupid hmm or more likely that I have no interest in this stuff. Anyway, he gave me some pointers about what the job could be about (trying to make purple gold for example) which whilst it sounds exciting I'm really not convinced this is a) the type of job for me, I've no engineering experience and I don't think I'm creative enough for this pure research, I've too many holes in my knowledge which will be discovered quite quickly and b) I'm pretty sure is not going to be part time. But he has twisted part of me into wondering if I should be going into this. Now I'm just totally and utterly confused. I have decided to call an old colleague from my phd times and ask what her reaction would be to me doing research as a proper job.

I got a phone call today calling me for an interview 50%, 15 mins away on the bus. I've no experience, but they have called me anyway so hopefully something good could come of this. (Ironically I suspect they manufacture parts for the company that I'll have the interview at on Friday.) I've decided I'm not going to prepare as such for the one on Friday, but be totally honest with them and see what happens...

NicknameTaken Thu 07-Feb-13 09:32:44

snowy, I think your H is verbally abusive. Anyhow, why don't your wishes count for anything when it comes to employment? To come at it from a different angle, don't talk yourself out of things (that you're interested in) for fear of failure. If you're like most women, you underestimate yourself and can do more than you think you can.

Drmummsy, it's entirely legitimate to apply for everything you can, even if it means starting one job and having to leave it soon. The employer might mutter a bit, but don't think they'd make any sacrifices out of loyalty to you!

Still no word from the job I'm interested in. The deadline was a week ago, so they could still be in the shortlisting process, but if I don't hear by early next week, it's not a contender. Ugh. Trying not to hope but it's hard.

drmummmsy Thu 07-Feb-13 11:35:41

fingers crossed still for you Nickname !

and Snowydrift if you went through the process of a PhD (even if you didn't submit) I would definitely encourage you to apply for research jobs that interest you

mrssmooth Thu 07-Feb-13 18:32:18

Hi all, am also job hunting and trying to fit something in round childcare (admin/secretarial type stuff). Had the perfect, flexible job before we moved (although could have done with a few more hours) [sigh] I have applied for 5 jobs so far, 2 in schools (which I didn't get), one was an unsuccessful, and two I'm waiting to hear about. I've also just joined a temping agency this week but I've no idea how hopeful I can be because I can only realistically work between 0930 and 1430. Like lots of others, my ideal job would be in a school because of the term-time hours but those jobs are like gold dust, and as I've no experience in a school office they're bound to choose someone with the proper skills. Am thinking about asking at my dds' school if I can volunteer in the school office (I already volunteer in the classroom) but I know another lady has also asked and don't want to step on anyone's toes! Gah!

Snowydrift Thu 07-Feb-13 19:38:58

Right, Dr. Snowy (I did submit) here, trying to get into interview mode. I have three things to do (well, interview related at least) 1) print out cv, job description 2) sort out simple answers to those evil interview questions and 3) see if I can still get into my suit hmm which has not seen the light of day since before I was pg. Will I be able to do it up? If not, then it will be jeans...

The interview will almost definitely be in French confused as according to a friend of mine they are very francophone there. At least the HR interview, the rest I can probably switch to English. I spoke to a friend of mine from uni today (she was a post-doc and helped a lot during my phd) and whilst she did laugh when I told her about the research job she did say that I could probably manage to do it, even if I didn't like it. She reckons I could wing my way through it long enough to find a job that would suit me better and that I will find it easier to get a job if I already have one. Although she is not convinced they would want a 50%-er in the R&D department. I have decided that will be my limit as it's not my dream job. She does think I would be better in a non-research field though, so I shall wait and see how the second interview goes and use the one tomorrow as training. DH reckons that I don't want to do it because it would be too much like hard work hmm Says the man who has never been alone with two children... But it was good to hear from someone who knows how much I hated my phd at the end me from when I did do research and who is still in the business. Right, I must get away from here and do something useful.

mrssmooth go for it. You can't not apply for a job because you think someone else asked first else you'll never find anything. This is your future.

lljkk Fri 08-Feb-13 08:11:46

She reckons I could wing my way through it long enough to find a job that would suit me better

Good point, it's always easier to find a job when you already have a job.

Even dinner lady work in a school is a good way to get your foot in the door, so classroom volunteering would go down well. There's too much confidential info for them to let you into the office, but prominent profile with the PTA could stand you well.

I've said it before... if you want relevant experience then find a preschool that needs officers (voluntary positions): it's exactly like running a small business and has huge cross over with school office duties.

I would also be temping only 10-2pm, if I sign up with temp agency. I met someone who does 9:30-14:30 bank admin staff for the NHS, but I think those are hard to get too.

I did get a call back from the group who I thought was only open in afternoons: thank goodness they were all on a training course! Hence why no answers to the phone & emails. Got thru in the end, and I've checked hours could work so I've sent off application. I'm also very excited about a 60 hours/3 weeks researcher job that has come up. It's the first job I've tried for that I feel genuine enthusiasm for. Only 3 weeks, but would be up-to-date ref, and I think I could do the job quite well. Flexi hours, too.

Snowydrift Fri 08-Feb-13 09:15:53

Right. Interview over. Phew. It went well apart from two things. one that my research is totally not what they want (but hr admitted that the advert was ambiguous) and the part time issue (hr annoyed I only want pt, so I pointed put she didn't specify full time on her job description which she accepted). I'll hear in two weeks...

Good luck lljkk - convey that in your letter and its yours!

Dom2 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:54:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NicknameTaken Fri 08-Feb-13 14:47:46

Glad interview went well, snowy!

I've got through to the next round with the job I applied for! They say they received lots of good candidates, so they've added a written exercise before shortlisting for the interview. It's going to be a pain to do, but it seems like a very fair way to shortlist. So here's hoping!

bee169 Fri 08-Feb-13 19:12:37

Hello !!

Guess what, I have some good news. I got the job!!smile

Hurray....I am sending positive vibes to you lljkk and snowy. I am hoping to hear good news from you both very soon xxx

MrsJamin Fri 08-Feb-13 19:16:33

Oh well done bee169! I have applied for a job today- it doesn't sound very interesting or well paid but its flexible and I think I have the unusual mix of skills its asking for so I am hopeful in getting an interview. Applying for another job this weekend then sending out 10-15 speculative CVs so who knows?! We are househunting as well - so I am doing a lot of hunting at the moment, it is exhausting!

drmummmsy Fri 08-Feb-13 19:34:45

yaaay bee! well done!

Snowydrift Fri 08-Feb-13 19:39:42

Well done bee :D

Snowydrift Fri 08-Feb-13 19:42:32

Ps can anyone tell me why this thread isn't listed in the "going back to work" section? I only found it by going previous page, previous page until I found it again confused. Now I'm scared if I navigate away to something else, I won't find you again.

MrsJamin Fri 08-Feb-13 19:49:39

This is the 4th most recent thread in "Going back to work" topic - not quite sure how you can't see it.

Snowydrift Fri 08-Feb-13 19:53:39

I've opened the section in a new window and its definitely not there = confusedconfused

bee169 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:50:50

Thank you!! I am very excited as it is part time and allows me to slowly get myself back into the world of work smile

I remember posting a thread a little while ago (in frustration blush) 'How many interviews have you had?' when lljkk said she was thinking of starting a support thread and managed to find all you lovely ladies smile

P.S. I found this job through gaapweb.com - hope it helps

www.timewise.co.uk is also a great website as it is for part time only and it has a sister website for advice called www.womenlikeus.org.uk

lljkk Mon 11-Feb-13 10:53:44

Problem with those sites is they rarely have even a single listing in my county (boohoo!!).

I still feel good, applied for 2 jobs this morning (proper applications I took time over) and I think I've got at least a 30% chance of interview for one of them (other is long shot, but you never know).

Congratulations Bee!

NicknameTaken Mon 11-Feb-13 11:32:11

Congrats, bee!

MrsJamin Mon 11-Feb-13 13:53:26

I've applied for my second job in a week. Not holding my breath but I think it's given me confidence to write more speculative CV mailshots this week.

lljkk Thu 14-Feb-13 10:45:44

Okay, just signing in here because I need a Kick Up The Bottom to get working on an application that is due 8 March, BUT next week is 1/2 term and the week after I could in theory have a temp job that takes all my time (maybe that's very wishful thinking). So I need to do most the work on this app. today. I'm giving myself 4 more minutes on MN before I grit teeth & start prepping.

drmummmsy Thu 14-Feb-13 18:42:06

<kicks lljkk up the bottom>

did you get that application finished?? hmmm lljkk??

in return, i need you to tell me to 'man up' and go into a big retail store and hand in my job application!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now