Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

lljkk Thu 24-Jan-13 09:46:38

Oooh, well done Frugal! I'm only a teeny tiny bit envy envy.
You're right, you are good encouragement for rest of us.

Housing Trust doesn't want me to volunteer (boohoo).
I have applied to do office work (voluntary) for HomeStart.
I put a (part-time Office) work wanted Ad on Gumtree this morning.
I found a shelf-stacking job I would do for min. wage BUT it doesn't even cover childcare costs in term time (would be higher in hols, so never mind). Would be fine if the hours were slightly adjusted, argh.

this morning I am going to apply for a "Stroke Data Analyst" job at hospital. Rather a long shot, but I do have lots of bits of relevant background.

bee169 Thu 24-Jan-13 13:41:10

Congrat 1stMrs! Good for you smile Great that you got a senior role

kelly14 Thu 24-Jan-13 13:52:31

It will be 2 years in July since i have worked!!!! my dd is nearly 8!

I moved back from australia after being in an abusive relationship and after being hospilatised in oz for weeks after horrendous miscarriage and then developing a blood clot! it took me a long while to get over it and still having counselling now!

I live in parents house as they live abroad so only claim the bare min of tax credits, JSA and child benefit.

My sole problem is childcare!!! only 3 childminders in my village all fully booked. i cant afford to pay a retainer in the chance i do get a job.
I have had loads of interviews (all full time) and been offered job and having to turn down solely due to childcare (and then weeks later a place becomes available but when i call the position is filled Arghhh)
There is just no school hour jobs available, i literally apply for 60 plus jobs a week.

I have a good CV, have worked all over the world in large corporate firms, i have studied 'an introduction to law' since i have been home and
I am currently volunteering for Macmillan cancer suppport, setting up fundraising events in my local area and have enrolled for more short courses.

I have also just successfully changed my daughters school to an academy rated school in the next village and which has a before and after school care facility on site (7.30-6.30) so hopefully i will now be able to get full time employment very soon! fingers crossed.

Although i do plan on moving back to australia as soon as possible.

good luck everyone else.

May I join been doing min wage agency work just to bring some pennies in however yet again like last yr Royal mail work has dried up sigh appiled for 2 jobs this week finger crossed sigh

coffeekeepsmegoing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:01:40

Can I join in. I am hopeful some luck will rub off. In a 12 hr / week min wage job. Hoping to get back to my profession of 5 years ago pre 2 kids. Had an interview before Xmas & they're letting me know this week. Fingers crossed. The job is close by and 22 hours.

Fingers crossed coffee smile

I'm trying to get back to work after 20 years out. Yes that's right it's not a mistakes twenty years since I went on maternity leave with DD1

In that time I did go back to college and I graduated in 2011 with a degree in design but I am now looking for work with animals. I am realising I should have done an animal care qualification rather than design.
I went for an unsuccessful interview a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back from my last application so that's not looking good.

My age is against me and the fact I am rather rubbish at interviews but I really want to be doing something I enjoy rather than something just for the sake of it. DD is also looking so we are comparing cover letters and application forms grin

Some of you are prpbably only just a few years older than the length of time I've been a SAHM sad
I wouldn't do it again. I won't be encouraging my DD's to be SAHM's. I consider my lack of career/jobs to be the one big disappointment in my life and it makes me feel useless and a failure.

congrats 1stMrsFrugal!

Oh i wouldnt say that youvecat im forty !! I did a degree to be off benfits when single mum graduted in 2010 sigh but i dont want to do teaching give me a filing system or a postroom and i would be a very happy unicorn

lljkk Fri 25-Jan-13 16:41:48

I'm on the wrong side of 40, too.
Homestart voluntary admin position already filled. sad
Very local manufacturer admin asst. job already filled (ad only came out 1 week ago!)
I'm applying for an admin job in a high school, today. Bet that one's filled, too [sulk]
I've somehow blundered onto Skillpages website, will paint it pretty, maybe even consider Linkedin.

I need to spray my house for pests, flog some stuff on Ebay, dozen other chores this weekend, but will get back to job hunting on Monday hopefully.

LillethTheCat Fri 25-Jan-13 16:57:59

congrats MrsFrugal hope some of your luck rubs off on some of us.

Where are you all finding jobs to apply for? Im stuck now. Looked on Job center website which I now dont like. Also Monster, Gumtree (with their lovely work from home roleshmm local paper, council websites etc.

Do you think I should hold off a while till Ive done my work experience for 6 months or so or should I keep looking? If I get this work experience sorted it will give me the recent experience, plus hopefully a reference neither of which are a bad thing. Though its not paid work and Im living on benefits which is no good for anyone. What do you think?

I use indeed website on the plus side it shows if the job as been adveristed in a few places. i find the site easy to use

lljkk Fri 25-Jan-13 19:07:55

Gumtree homework ads are foul, agreed! But I know someone who got her dream job thru Gumtree.

Mostly I just use Google. Which gets me onto

Reed, Indeed, local paper, job centre, county council, district council, LEA schools website, NHS, Monster, Trovit, Hays. I have an email saved with links to various local places I am half hopeful about, including my ex-employer, schools, some charities. So I can just click thru the links quickly once a week see if anything new has come up.

1stMrsFrugal Fri 25-Jan-13 20:56:07

Thank you all your congratulations, it's very kind of you.

Here are some websites that a friend recommended for part time jobs. I think they are a bit South East centric so might not be useful for everyone, but hopefully for some.

http://www.workingmums.co.uk/

http://tentiltwo.com/

I talked about my volunteer work a lot in my interview so I think that was very useful.

Good luck everyone!

Snowydrift Tue 29-Jan-13 12:08:27

Right, I've applied for a job that is probably utterly unsuitable for me but DH wanted me to apply so that's done. I'm today writing an application for one that sounds great, but is 80-100%. Some people (recruiters) have told me I need to be up front about only wanting to work 60% and others have told me not to mention it in the covering letter. I've had no luck being honest, so I have decided to see what happens if I just don't state in the letter what % I want to do.
The job I really wanted to get has just come back with a "your application left an excellent impression but we are sorry to inform you that you have not made the selection for interview because there were other applicants who were a better match for our criteria. We hope that your career develops to your satisfaction and wish you great success". AGAIN.

I am now putting Gladiator on the speakers in an attempt to inject some fighting spirit into the next letter so DH can correct it tonight and I can send it on.

lljkk Tue 29-Jan-13 20:25:41

lol @ Gladiator as therapy.

Snowydrift Tue 29-Jan-13 20:34:57

It sort of worked. Apparently only past of it was crap. He is furious because I made him waste his time correcting my atrocious grammar (they had a submission form for letter, cv etc then asked four question on the next page. Argh!) and has gone to bed. Well, at least my one application is submitted for today.

Snowydrift Tue 29-Jan-13 20:35:33

Clearly that should say part.

bee169 Thu 31-Jan-13 12:54:42

After a bit of an interview drought....I have 3 interviews lined up for next week! Wish me luck smile

LillethTheCat Thu 31-Jan-13 13:44:58

Hi all

Good luck bee hope a job comes your way soon.

Still no better off, though I have had a missed phone call from Mind (I applied to do some volunteering work for them) so I am going to listen to their message (when I get to a place with a good mobile signal) later and ring them back. I know its not paid, but it surely can't make my CV look any worse can it.

lljkk Thu 31-Jan-13 13:51:36

Good luck Bee, that sounds very promising indeed.

I think voluntary work experience is going to be key to me getting back in workforce, too.

Ah Nuts. I applied for 5 or 6 jobs today, but at least one of them I had a cover letter with typos in it (doofus). I was just typing the cover letter text into the relevant Box on Reed, didn't realise it didn't spell check for me at all (duh) until I copied it down to edit. Argh. Will look even worse if I reapply with corrected cover letter, won't it?!

Oh well, at least I didn't make the same typos on all the jobs applied for today. Lesson learned.

Talking to a friend last night I came to the conclusion that one way to get where I want is to first take certain types of finance assistant jobs, so those are most of what I've been applying for today. Luckily quite a few are part-time flexi hours, could be lovely.

My problem with getting any voluntary work now is that I can't regularly & reliably do that and be available for my temporary (bank staff) job. Don't feel like messing up my otherwise best-thing-going.

MrsJamin Thu 31-Jan-13 20:05:28

3 interviews in a week, Bee, that's impressive! Hope you get one that you like - you may get to choose if offered more than 1!

Voluntary work experience is a great idea. I think I may be doing some of that once DS2's 15 hours kicks in.

I'm doing a speculative CV mail-out of about 15 local companies I would like to work for- do you think there is a way of saying that I would especially like to hear if they have PT jobs or do you think this would heighten the chances of them getting back to me? I don't want to sound desperate, like saying I would take any hours they could offer!

lljkk Fri 01-Feb-13 13:38:26

Don't worry about desperate, I reckon, there are 20+ applications for most the jobs I'm looking at, so much competition, employers are used to desperate.

I think put a positive spin on it, along lines of:

I am flexible about contract duration and how many hours I work each week.

What do y'all reckon... when a job descrip says "Essential... knowledge of SORP", when SORP is just a policy & procedures document about reporting & accounting (available online, and up to individual organisations how they achieve it, anyway). How much "knowledge" do I need to meet the essential requirement? Do I apply anyway?

MrsJamin Fri 01-Feb-13 13:59:12

It sounds like you know a lot more about SORP than I do so I would go ahead! Good idea about sounding like I am the flexible one about how I could work for them - thanks.

LillethTheCat Fri 01-Feb-13 15:53:17

I think you should go for it. It sounds to me like something they might ask questions on it. If you can learn it (which you obviously can) then there is no reason why you dont have a knowledge of it.

lljkk Fri 01-Feb-13 16:07:45

okay, thanks smile.
Kids going mental at the moment, so not sure when I'll be able to concentrate, but will apply soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now