has anyone taken a job just to break even? work vs stay home, so confused...

(9 Posts)
lljkk Fri 18-Jan-13 13:02:01

I have done it before and am trying to do it again, now, at least for the next 8 months. It's a pain, but psychologically I need to. I will be quids in once I've another one off at High School, at least.

Most childcare is a patchwork situation. You will have your usual main carer most of the time, but several backup plans. Assuming you are stuck on a Nanny as main carer, You could investigate which nurseries or childminders near you can offer emergency ad hoc childcare. Often you'll find the Nanny you hire knows a few others who can do emergency cover. Or see if there's an Nanny agency. It may be at higher price or require you to juggle hours on the cover day, but the option is usually out there, will let you keep main job, provide short-notice cover.

In theory you have a legal right to take unpaid time off at short notice to look after ill young children or for emergency situations, even to take child to a medical appointment.

In theory the interview has no right to ask about your personal circumstances such as childcare duties. They should simply lay out the job demands and you say Yes or No if you can do that.

In theory the Interview panel has no right to openly discuss your personal circumstances in discussing whether you will be best candidate.

In reality, they will obliquely ask questions to determine your childcare burden and they will openly discuss among themselves if they think you can do what they want, given what they know about your personal life. Therefore, if they do offer you the job, I would not feel guilty if you do need to take time off to cover completely unexpected childcare. They will have allowed for that eventuality.

You could sweeten the pot by offering to make up lost hours by coming in at weekends to make up any hours you may lose due to "illness or for other reasons".

housesalehelp Thu 17-Jan-13 21:40:35

15 hours can reduce nursery costs I think is what pp meant -have you no mum friends - do you kids get sick alot? however small business can be tricky - if they are good they are very good, but they can be a nightmare

cheapandchic Thu 17-Jan-13 21:15:12

Its also not the kind of work I could do from home. Not at all.

cheapandchic Thu 17-Jan-13 21:13:36

The 15 hours free will not help at all as I still have to be paying for the younger one to be cared for.

The problem is that my husband cannot take off work easily and travels to Asia and Africa and Europe A LOT. So I really have no one to help me in the case of illness. I am also afraid the job will not be too keen on me taking time off frequently as its a small company and I would be in charge of quite a lot...in fact the reason they are hiring me is because the guy above me runs other businesses as well and needs me to be there when he can't.....so I am not sure how sympathetic they would be.

No friends would help either....almost all of our friends dont have children and have intense jobs...it would be impossible for them to help.

chutneypig Thu 17-Jan-13 07:08:12

I used nurseries when mine were younger, so had no issues with illness of childminder or nanny, that might be something to consider.

Obviously they did get ill, and DH and I would split that, often half a day each. We have no family around either. That will be trickier if your DH is away. I often take work home and am contactable if needed, which helps, if I have to take time. I'm very fortunate to work in a building where a lot of people have young families and understand.

Is your three year old eligible for the 15 hours nursery places? Although it might be a tight balance now the time will come when the childcare costs go down.

I'd go for it. You sound keen on the job opportunity and the reasons you give about keeping your career going formed a large part of why I worked. And I love my job too, which is a big factor when things don't go smoothly.

housesalehelp Wed 16-Jan-13 21:15:49

step up I meant

housesalehelp Wed 16-Jan-13 21:11:48

depends on the job eg hours etc but childminder or nursery might be quite bit cheaper than a nanny - agree if its a job you love worth doing and see progressing
back up - hope kids don't get ill, take time off - some companies are pretty good about it , friends maybe
and if you are working then your DH does have to step as well

Metalhead Wed 16-Jan-13 18:11:42

It seems crazy to 'work for nothing', but if it's a job you really want and can see yourself doing for a while, I'd say go for it! In another year or two your eldest will be going to school so you'll probably have to pay less for childcare.

As for when the nanny or kids get sick, we're in the same boat and either me or DH has to take time off to look after DD. (Thankfully not happened too often so far...)

I personally would go stir crazy as a SAHM, but some people love it. And it's nice to get the recognition at work that you're doing a good job!

cheapandchic Wed 16-Jan-13 17:30:09

There is a job offer which would be fulfilling and exactly what I would like to do...however my young kids are 3 and 1.5.

The money is ok but I would just break even, well slightly more, but still not enough to have independence from my husband, nor pay down any of our debt.

I also worry about childcare, because he works long hours and travels a lot for work. Also we have NO family to help (neither of us are from the UK).
What happens if the nanny is sick, how do you organise 'possible back up'?

I feel I should stay home....but I am so scared of turning down this opportunity and not being able to find something later. I am so worried about having a huge gap in my career. I am so worried about not having my own independence/money/job... WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now