references - can I put down a friend?

(3 Posts)
RillaBlythe Wed 09-Jan-13 19:55:14

(am SAHM)

So the form says "Please give names, addresses, work telephone numbers and occupations of the two people who can be contacted for information relating to your work, one of whom should be your present (or most recent) employer or educational institution. Please do not give relatives as a referee."

I have contacted my supervisor on my most recent volunteer job (which was, um, about 2 years ago) & he has said he is happy to be a referee. I have emailed my university tutor from my MA which preceded that, but I hold out little hope of hearing from her - she has previously very embarrassingly failed to supply a reference. There isn't anyone else from my MA who would remember me (I made little impact!) - can I put down a friend??

redskyatnight Wed 09-Jan-13 20:54:55

I put down a friend as a referee for the job I now do smile

I was a little bit careful to pick one who both knew me well and could be trusted to write a suitable professional reference.

RillaBlythe Thu 10-Jan-13 21:55:09

amazingly I actually heard back from my MA tutor! So with her & my volunteer job I have references.

Now to work out whether to make it explicit as to why I have such a weird gappy CV (two kids)....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now