Want to work in an office environment but never have. Positions I could apply for and qualifications to get first?

(8 Posts)
BlackandGold Mon 21-Jan-13 10:14:34

Maybe look at doing an evening class in MS Office and possibly touch typing.

After that sign on with an Agency for some experience, although I've no idea if there are many jobs going via agencies. When we needed extra help in the office the other year we were only sent a choice of 2 or 3 people and we didn't think they had amazing CVs.

BetteDavis01 Sun 20-Jan-13 21:13:15

You need a good knowledge of Word, Excel and Access. Need to know how to take minutes at meeting, type them up etc. Admin covers a broad spectrum of work tbh.

Apologies if I'm being negative but having worked as an admin assistant for 10 yrs, I do not recommend it. You get given all the crap no one else wants to do. It's hard work but undervalued. Poor pay as well, generally.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 19-Jan-13 22:15:44

Do you need qualifications to be a receptionist?

You must have strong customer service experience having been in cabin crew. Able to learn quickly and follow procedures? Maybe do a CV which highlights those transferable skills rather than the lack of office experience.

IT skills will be very useful and yes, you could get qualifications in that.

How comfortable are you on things like Word and Excel?

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 19-Jan-13 22:09:16

Can you type (audio/copy) and use MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) to a reasonable standard? If not, learn!

I would start with reception work and when you get it, hope things will be quiet and then you can ask to help with office admin and build up from there.

artyflarty Sat 19-Jan-13 21:45:45

How about a bit of volunteering first? Might just be enveloping stuffing to start with but if you're interested and keen I am sure a charity would be willing to show you the ropes.

Maybe then you could register with an agency for some temp work. It's a very good way of gaining experience in a short timeframe.

Shybairns Sat 19-Jan-13 19:43:34

As an addition to this. What quals do I need to be an office temp? Am thinking of signing up with temp agency.

lljkk Tue 08-Jan-13 17:33:22

I'm Interested in replies, too. The jobs I'm looking at ask for NVQs in Admin and Customer service (cost of NVQs may be subsidised if you don't already have a Uni degree), or experience with SAGEPay or MySQL (I've heard that training in that can cost £1000).

Shybairns Tue 08-Jan-13 14:32:45

Hi, Subject heading says it all really. I worked as cabin crew before having the kids and haven't worked for past 6 years.

I think I'm suitable for either a receptionists job or and admin assistant. But which qualification should I try and get first before applying for such positions?

Haven't got any office experience to put on my CV.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now