F/T or not

(4 Posts)
Megan74 Fri 04-Jan-13 17:58:26

I work PT - 30 hours a week with 3 normal days followed by leaving early enough for the school run on a Thursday and make the hours up on Friday at home (normally 2-3 hours). DH works FT and does the school drop off once a week at normal time and all 4 drop offs to breakfast club. I pick up from after school club 3 times a week and at normal times twice a week. All works well for DCs in Yr 1 and Yr 3.

I have been at the company for a few years and to be honest it is an admin role which could either be dead end or lead to something more career based. I want a career rather than a job. For various reasons I don't believe I would be able to do this so easily working the current hours.

Just as a background, I was not in this industry before children so I don't have the proven history that many of my friends have who manage careers working part time.

I don't know. Maybe I am over thinking this. I know my boss would welcome me working full time and I know it would better my career. I suppose I fear I will lose my work-life balance?

Samnella Fri 04-Jan-13 21:23:33

Ooh tricky. I am envy at your hours I must say. I work on a full time or nothing type of job so have always worked full time. I know what you mean about the career suicide side of working part time. If it were me I would go for it as you are not that far off it. I suspect you are doing more hours than you are contracted for anyway aren't you?! Tends to happen with 4 days I think. It sound like they would be flexible so maybe request to collect the children from school twice a week but log back on once home. Is that possible?

MadWinter Fri 11-Jan-13 09:15:53

Its not forever. Why not give it a try? Give it a year of f/t work Get yourself a personal coach to make sure you make the absolute most of it, and can really kick-start. See where it is heading, and then decide again.

It might very well be you try it, and your career-options don't go anywhere after all. Well, then at least you will not sit there in a few years time, look back and think: if only I had tried. Give it your all!

BackforGood Fri 11-Jan-13 09:27:40

I wouldn't. That sounds like a great work life balance at the moment.
Would the opportunity to move to the better role still be there in a few years time ? It's difficult when you are never able to go to the school, say hello to your childrens friends, and their parents, etc. Obviously do-able as so many do, but nicer to have the balance you do. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now