A week of training unpaid

(11 Posts)
SleighbellsRingInYourLife Mon 31-Dec-12 21:17:34

Yeah, it's not a real job.

I'm sorry sad

NotmylastRolo Mon 31-Dec-12 20:51:35

I have had a closer look at the contract. I am a bit annoyed that it was glossed over at the interview but it looks like I have a "zero hours contract".

I was not expecting that at all. I had never heard of that.

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 30-Dec-12 17:29:06

It sounds to me like you haven't actually been offered a job yet, but that they intend to put you through a week-long selection process.

Are you up for it?

financialwizard Sun 30-Dec-12 17:11:10

not that does not sound too good does it.

It seems to me employers want blood from a stone these days.

financialwizard Sun 30-Dec-12 17:09:25

You might be right sleigh I only mentioned it because it was what BT said to a friend of mine. Btw I don't like the word 'dross' but my brain didn't come up with a better alternative.

NotmylastRolo Sun 30-Dec-12 17:09:13

I have looked at the paperwork again and it says that I passed the interview with flying colours and am just the sort of person they wish to employ as I was outstanding (ok so probably everyone gets the same hype I think!) I have been offered a position and given a contract to sign and return on the first day of "training" next week. The contract does not give a start date and this part is blank.

The paperwork says that next week is my "selection week" when I would "receive a week of training" and at the end would be given my "start date for employment". It seems that in order to get a "start date" for being employed I am to undertake a week of unpaid training. It was sort of alluded to (about a week of training before the start date for emplyment) but I thought I misheard as I have never come across this practice before.

It just seems a bit cheap to me. I have not even started and I feel less than valued as my time obviously means nothing to them!

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 30-Dec-12 17:05:39

I think the dross are more likely to be prepared to work for free for a large company.

If you're competing for the best staff, you will be out of the race when you start asking them to work for free.

financialwizard Sun 30-Dec-12 16:53:12

BT do this (although they do actually pay the employee for it they just don't tell them-something to do with weeding out the dross)

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 30-Dec-12 13:32:49

I'd be surprised if it was legal.

Do you really want to work for these people?

GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 13:31:35

. wondering same. I think so, actually.

NotmylastRolo Thu 27-Dec-12 19:53:37

I have taken on an additional part time paye job after some years being self-employed. My new employers pay my tax and NI so I am an employee.
I have been given a start date and my first week is a 5 day training course to learn the job etc. However, I have been told that the first week of training is UNPAID.

Is this normal these days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now