Help! I feel like the only working mother in the village.....

(37 Posts)
WellTravelledPrawn Mon 03-Dec-12 11:05:16

Sorry in advance for the whingey tone.....

I live in rural Essex with 2 DCs (15 months and 3.5), most 'husbands' commute to the city. On the whole, it's a wealthy place and a bit of a bubble. I went to (yet another) dinner party this weekend where I was the only working mother. Literally none of my 'mummy friends' work. I know of a couple (literally, 2) other mums who work, but rarely see them (as they are at work!)

It took me seven years to train in my profession. I run I thriving practice and I love my job. I know that I need to keep working as I go a bit nuts when I'm not. And it will pay the school fees. My children are (on the whole) bright and well balanced. Me and my husband are often knackered but like our lives as they are.... But I'm finding it a bit hard as the one who always has to turn down invitations and (I suspect) the other mums feel a bit sorry for me. It also sometimes makes me doubt my choices, like I'm not a 'proper' mum and my children are losing out.

Am I just an insecure individual, inhabiting a totally anomolous community of people or has anyone else experienced this?

Snoopy99 Mon 10-Dec-12 13:38:01

I feel I owe it to my daughter to work. And I owe it to my son for him to see that both mummy and daddy contribute towards the home in terms of money and care. The family is a unit and the wellbeing of each member of that unit is important. The children's needs are obviously key but they don't trump everyone else's. And anyway, why would a child want to spend every spare minute outside school with their mother??! I think it's good for them to mix around. Mine are 2 and 4 by the way.

Lomaamina Sat 15-Dec-12 10:16:00

I too have experienced this. We're in a little commuter village within reach if the City and most of my DS's friends used to look in astonishment when a real, live daddy appeared in daylight to collect him (DH works locally, I'm full time in London. I've had lots of weird diuble-edged comments about how amazing I am to manage a commute every day hmm and bloody annoying, if not upsetting ones from his teachers when I've (very rarely) not been able to make it for an assembly (like they're not working mums themselves). Now he's in secondary, at a much more mixed I take comprehensive, it's easier. And I certainly don't regret enjoying (I admit it) my stimulating job. Sadly though I don't have a big circle of mummy friends, but my small and select circle, mostly like me too knackered to do dinner parties grin suits me fine.

Hang in there. It's worth it!

morleylass Mon 17-Dec-12 17:09:39

I found exactly the same when I moved to rural Norfolk several years ago, even though I worked part time I felt like the odd one out. Now my children are a bit older 12 and 9 I find that more parents are returning to work although I still think that those working any more than a couple of days are in the minority (at Primary). My main problem like others have mentioned is attending all the events that occur during the school day, my work are very flexible but there is only so much that you can do! For ages I wanted to quit work as like you I felt I wasn't doing things like the other Mums. I think the fact that childcare is expensive and there aren't many jobs in rural areas makes it more likely that Mums stay at home, if you are earning a low wage but have to pay out childcare costs, including time you are travelling, then it probably doesn't seem worth the hassle.

My eldest is now in his second year at secondary school and more of his friends parents are back at work. I didn't have to attend any events during school hours last year so I think it definitely getting easier and now I am glad that I didn't give up work as in 18 months time both my dc will be at secondary school. Their school trips are getting more expensive as well as all the additional kit they need, if I hadn't stayed at work we would struggle to provide these things.

If you and your family are happy then you are doing the right thing and try not to feel guilty...I've not quite mastered it yet though!

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 17-Dec-12 17:41:43

I've found that most mothers work at my son's school. Although a lot do hours to fit round DC's.

However, in my close circle of friends from school 5 of us have DC's. At one point I was the only one who didn't work. 3 worked FT and one PT.

I am now a Childminder and work approx 32 hours a Week plus paperwork/ prep and shopping.

I felt the odd one out amongst my friends and must admit I questioned myself a lot!
In an ideal world I'd have kept my job. However, circumstances at work were less than ideal and the company went into liquidation Last week. And I'd have endured 3.5 years of uncertainty.

Just carry on what you are doing OP .
All families are different.

brettgirl2 Fri 21-Dec-12 14:23:00

Its interesting because I dont know any SAHMs who dont at times go out of their minds.

In the main they dont work because they cant find something the right hours that is well paid enough to cover childcare.

I think a lot of men are very sexist even now tbh and think its the woman's job to do breakfast, get kids ready, take kids to school, pick kids up, cook dinner etc. If your partner is of that ilk it makes it very tricky.

I do a job share not full time but I couldnt be a SAHM.

badguider Fri 21-Dec-12 14:35:15

IME there's a belt around london about 1hr on the train into a main station where it is common for the 'dad's to commute into london but it can be tricky for both parents to do so. Hence a disproportionate number of SAHM families in those areas.
In London itself, or in the country away from London or in a smaller town or city this effect is not nearly as pronounced.

Personally I left London for a different (much smaller) city entirely because i didn't want to live that 'commuter belt' life.

motherinferior Fri 21-Dec-12 14:38:03

This is one of the million and one reasons I live in south east London grin.

DewDr0p Fri 21-Dec-12 22:58:46

Oh don't tell me that badguider I'm hoping if we move that way I'll have more job opportunities, not less!

We have a real mix of working and sahm where I live. I'm actually one of the sahm atm, apart from the odd bit of freelance work. As pps said, in rural areas, the combo of long commuting times (to nearest cities), limited and expensive childcare options and sheer lack of opportunities can make returning to work very difficult. We have no family nearby and dh travels a lot with work so it's even more tricky.

I think where I live we all respect each other's choices though. I do sometimes look at friends who work full time and wonder how on earth they keep on top of everything as there are times when I struggle and I'm not working! That's only ever thought with respect though, not a shred of pity.

CultureMix Tue 25-Dec-12 12:03:42

I work FT and have done so after both my maternity leaves. Boys are now 3 and 5 and seems I'm one of the very few FT mums, there are some more PT and lots SAHM (I'd say over well 50% but tbh have no accurate stats). Interestingly I do see a number of dads at school dropoff - don't know about afternoon as never done it, DS1 goes to afterschool club while DS2 at nursery.

I get on ok with the other mums but don't know them really as I'm always rushing off. I don't feel snubbed and they are friendly enough but I'm well aware there's a whole coffee/playdate circuit that I'm cut out of. DS1 goes to a separate afterschool group so cannot do any afterschool activities, I do feel bad about this but there's no perfect solution and yes it's a juggle. I enjoy my job, don't feel cut out to be a SAHM and fully accept it's a personal decision for everyone.

I work in a very technical field so there are few women to start, even less mothers - in my experience the ones that go PT are sidelined and drop out entirely within 2-3 years. I enjoy my job and fully intend to keep at it, and would never have the flexibility I now have if I tried to find a new job after a long break. My colleagues are supportive in that many have children too but they mainly have SAHM partners so rather seem to assume I have one as well grin.

As for social life, dinner parties, what's that? The only ones with the social life are my sons who get invited to endless birthday parties - which are great btw as let you actually chat with the other parents for an hour or two.

jellybeans Tue 25-Dec-12 12:16:14

I am a SAHM, fairly affluent area. Most of the mums in DC's primary SAH. A couple of dads are SAHD also. This applies all through primary and older. I love SAH but have friends who work (vast majority 2-3 days a week or term time hours) and I used to work full time. I think it is great that you are happy doing as you are doing and wouldn't make comments etc. I don't expect all Mums to SAH.

'Also whilst even in the first couple of years of school it is lovely to have your mum helping out at school, etc this becomes less palatable as the children become older. '

I disagree with this though, even in year 6 my kids have loved me helping in their school.

LookingForwardToMarch Tue 25-Dec-12 12:27:36

Good was starting to feel like a freak!

I'm currently at uni and my DH is working full time.

But as soon as I qualify for a training contract my DH will be a SAHD

Just annoyed by some comments I get that seem to suggest this means I am a selfish uncaring mother.

'Oh how will you stand it, I couldn't stand to be away from my DC's'

or my new favourite

'Don't you feel they will be missing out on a mother figure'

It's not like I will never see them ffs! How come its ok for the dad to be at work all day but not the mum? Do people really believe children can't be raised by a father just as well as if it was the mother.

Lol sorry rant over

ItsaTIARA Tue 25-Dec-12 12:33:52

This is also why I'm not budging out of Zone 2 mother. Life is really tough for a 2 WOH family in the commuter belt. I think this is an interesting corollary to the "Don't give up your career unless you are independently wealthy" thread - "Think very hard about moving to commuter land before you have DC"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now