Five working days into four

(29 Posts)
IceBergJam Tue 27-Nov-12 13:31:36

My reduced hours request was refused but they offered condensing my hours into four days rather than five.

Anyone do this? Does it work?

LibrarianByDay Mon 03-Dec-12 21:58:30

I've been doing this for 5/6 years. I've shortened my lunch hour and lenghthened my working day. It has it good points and its bad. I get an extra day at home with the children and childcare costs are less. On the down side I'm permanently exhausted. 3 days of being a SAHM and a full time job feels quite a lot like working an 8 day week most of the time! That said it is preferable to doing 5 days at work with all the extra costs that would come with.

IndigoCat Tue 04-Dec-12 22:47:36

I do 5 into 4 days and agree with what Librarian by Day has already said.

SarahG41 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:33:49

I went back to do 30hrs working hrs rather than 37hrs. Tues and Thurs I work 8.15-5.45pm at home. I find it a real struggle as full on all day (no chat at home) its mum mode at 5.45, tea, play, bath, bed, talk with Dad, wash pots, washing in & up. It's 9pm and knackered, then up again at 1am and sometimes 3am and fully up at 5ish with LO. Looking to reduce hrs now to 24 working 4 days a week in the office rather than condensing when working from home. Alas may not be able to afford it!! I want to give more time to LO who's 9mnths now, coming home at 4pm would suit to = a less stressed mummy. Feel lazy though reading other comments...

confusedperson Thu 06-Dec-12 09:48:56

My friend used to do that, i.e. fitting 40 hours into 4 days, she said it was bloody hard.
If you need childcare, this adds to the pressure to find a childcare for long days.
By the way, I notice that childcare providers often charge full-day's rate x 4 days, but when it comes to full-time (5 days) they are able to offer a discount. When I calculated this option for myself, it appeared that I would be paying for 4 days childcare almost the same as full week.

My employer would not have agreed to condense working hours anyway, but as I now work 9:00 - 4:30, I find my days and taking care of my DC stressless and enjoyable, rather than tired and rushing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now