Does this look dodgy?

(17 Posts)
Yogagirl17 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:19:55

Thanks for the suggestion Natasha, I have reported it to Gumtree (turns out just click 'report' and 'suspected scam/fraudulent activity' is one of the options).

Yogagirl17 Tue 13-Nov-12 20:38:14

Yes, i realise that now and I didn't send them anything.

Natasha I was actually wondering that - will look into it.

Shenanagins Tue 13-Nov-12 20:19:37

Dodgy as hell. just for future reference, don't send documents like passport or driving licence to an unknown source as could lead to identity theft.

companies can ask for you to bring this at interview stage to prove who you are and are eligible to work in the UK. bank details should only be given once you have been sent an offer in writing.

good luck with the job search.

NatashaBee Tue 13-Nov-12 20:15:58

Dodgy. I wonder if there's any way you can report the ad to Gumtree?

Yogagirl17 Tue 13-Nov-12 20:08:51

Well obviously I thought it might be or I wouldn't have asked.

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 13-Nov-12 20:06:42

God, surely you didn't think that was genuine?! Sorry. That kind of stuff really scares me as people are preying on vulnerable, desperate people.... Someone else may not have been as "switched on" as you..... sad,

Yogagirl17 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:40:55

Wow, I had no idea.

WoweeZowee Sun 11-Nov-12 22:37:17

V dodgy and most probably money laundering.

Western Union and Moneygram are often used for this purpose.

Yogagirl17 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:32:19

Thank you all very much! Have crossed it off my list. Giving up on Gumtree - every single time I've tried to use it I've come across something dodgy sounding. Last one was someone wanting me to email them all my personal details but when I asked what company they were with they disappeared!

Classic Money laundering.

Do not get involved.

Viviennemary Sun 11-Nov-12 22:29:17

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Sounds like a huge scam.

Yogagirl17 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:28:52

So not just me being paranoid then...?

MrsWembley Sun 11-Nov-12 22:28:45

I would be very hmm about any job which required me to use my own bank account for any company financial matters, never mind if it was one set up purely for the job and not for my own personal use.

I have alarm bells and the words 'money laundering' going through my head.

Musomathsci Sun 11-Nov-12 22:27:50

Yes, looks very dodgy to me!

What kind of legitimate work could this possibly be?

Theas18 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:26:36

Sounds hugely suspect. Step away!

chickydoo Sun 11-Nov-12 22:26:31

Sounds very odd.
Don't get involved, try to find something else

Yogagirl17 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:25:01

Have been looking for work now for nearly 6 months with no luck despite loads of experience, good cv etc. Main problem is i'm looking for part time work. So I applied for an "Administrative Assistant" position on Gumtree and got a text telling me to continue the application process here:

APPLY

To continue the application I need to email them driver's license or passport. If I take the job I need to open a bank account for making Western Union and Money Gram transfers.

I really need work but does this all seem a bit suspect? Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now