is it really worth it???!!!

(10 Posts)
SammiArmani Fri 26-Oct-12 22:39:56

At the risk of being bashed to hell, is it really worth getting back into work and coming off benefits?!? Because...me and my partner R on jobseekers, child benefit, child tax credits, housing benefit and council tax benefit. Were both looking at going back to work asap (possibly within the next two weeks!) but would we actually be better off financially? Coz if not, were in the s**t as we already struggle to get by (my mum pays for my foodshopping as once I've paid my monthly rent my money is gone!)im private rent but on the council house as "adequately housed" I have twp kids (one is 4 & he goes to school 9-1, and I have a 9 month old who is in my care constantly) I dont have the option of grandparents looking after my kids whilst I work so I will have to fork out for childcare. Me n my partner have sat down and tried to work it out but it seems wed be better off continuing to sit on our bums sad we really want to work though. I hold an SIA security license and im taking my personal licence certificate on Tuesday so I don't think id struggle to get a job, just want to make sure its going to be worth it ! Any help, advice would b great

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:48:49

yes its worth it,might not be financially to begin with
but once in work it gets easier to get established
its good for your self esteem, good for the children,and good for you

SammiArmani Fri 26-Oct-12 22:56:05

I think that's one of the main reasons for us wanting to do it, self esteem, self worth etc. Just so we can say we work for a living instead of the whole "dole bum" stereotyping we always get. Plus im sick of seeing these four walls. I suffer from depression but I genuinely think its from being a recluse. I just do not want serious money worries. At the moment we struggle, but we manage. I just dont ever wanna not manage n get into debt. Would it be better to work part-time or full time?? Xx

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 23:00:52

best wishes,it is hard to get established in work and it is a leap of faith
its really uplifting you're motivated.
not knowing your circumstances ive no idea whats best for you ft or pt but i do wish you well

SammiArmani Fri 26-Oct-12 23:07:12

Ive only recently become motivated. I hit rock bottom a few weeks back and thought "well I can't get any lower then this..so I might aswell pick myself up" n that's exactly what I've done. I want my kids to be in a stable house hold, which, at the moment is what we've got, but ideally id like to improve that smile childcare is an issue for me as I don't have family to look after my kids, the only child minded in the village is full all the time and I don't drive :-/ so im going to have to learn to drive me thinks. Is there some sort of funding/discount/deal for childcare you get? Xzx

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 23:25:46

ask jobcentre about benefits check your entitlements
youve clearly got lot on your plate.work will help with self esteem and in time lift mood
purposeful activity will help your mood,and social contact will boost your confidence

janey68 Sat 27-Oct-12 09:07:07

Definitely worth it for the reasons described above. I Imagine it must be soul destroying as 2 adults to not have any financial independence or structure to your days. The outcomes for children of parents in employment are far better.

From a practical point of view, you also need to remember that we've probably only just seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of cuts, so all the benefits you receive provide no long term security- you are basically living at the whim of governments rather than having control over your lives

Best of luck to you. Btw you can access a list of childcare providers from your local council so try that... There may be other registered childminders you're not aware of, or someone only recently registered looking for children. We found our cm through this- she lives fairly nearby but I would have had no idea she existed without checking the council list- now several years on she's a great family friend.

Rockchick1984 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:33:49

Regarding paying for childcare, depending on your wages you will get up to 70% of it paid for by tax credits, so won't cost a massive amount. If you both get low paid jobs you will probably still get some housing benefit, council tax benefit is being scrapped anyway and even if you're not working you will be expected to contribute towards that anyway within the next year or so. Although you may not be better off straight away (although chances are you will be) it will be long term where you will really notice the difference - you will feel better in yourself, and you can both work your way up in your jobs, and end up getting good wages and having spare cash for treats/holidays etc smile

Tax credits give you an extra payment for working over 30 hours a week (each) but obviously you would need more childcare unless one of you worked nights. Go on www.entitledto.co.uk and type in different situations to see how much you would get in different situations smile

SammiArmani Tue 06-Nov-12 14:22:07

Thanks so much for your advice ladies, im going to go into the job centre and find out what/if were entitled to. Its really confusing coz in this booklet my partner was given it says "if you have been claiming jobseekers allowance as part of a joint claim and you start work of 24 hours a week or more, your partner may still be able to claim" ...surely the more hours you do, the less your entitled to? Its absolutely mind boggling to me.

scottishmummy Tue 06-Nov-12 19:29:31

best wishes sammi,yes get face to face assessment and its utterly baffling
hope luck smiles upon you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now