What hours do you work?

(47 Posts)
Goldchilled7up Fri 26-Oct-12 21:54:07

Currently I work part time, but I'm retraining and will have to get a full graduate position in order to get a professional certification. Although I want to do this career move I'm worried how it will work out.

What time do you start and finish work and what are your childcare arrangements for school aged children?

Goldchilled7up Fri 26-Oct-12 22:35:22

It would work for me too grin

But because I'm crazy, I've decided to break in into a new career on my mid 30s biscuit for me

Goldchilled7up Fri 26-Oct-12 22:36:03

What are you studying crazy?

crazynanna Fri 26-Oct-12 22:51:15

Health and Social Policy.

But I am in a different position being 49(!!!!!!) and just one dc at home now (aged 14) who doesn't really NEED ME ANYMORE (violins).....

Still...it's frigging hard and \I am half dead...but I will see it through.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:53:46

they took probably a month to get used to it but the wrap around is really good, really comfortable environment and they have a substantial snack at about 4.30 which keeps them going, we tend to eat around 7 now they are a bit older, we used to eat either slow cooker food or something quick like veggie omlettes and beans when they were younger so I could have them in bed at a reasonable time

one has a shower at night while I'm making tea, the other has a shower in the morning -it's just what they are used to now, plus I'm providing for them and teaching them a good work ethic

ceeveebee Fri 26-Oct-12 22:59:10

I am supposed to work 930-530 3 days a week. We have a nanny for our twins (11mo) who works 8am-7pm.
DH is out 7am to 8pm most days and it takes me just over an hour to commute.

However my boss is extremely flexible and told me he doesn't care whether I am there or not as long as the work gets done and that any important meetings are attended. So I get in around 9, 915 and leave anytime between 4 and 5, so I can get home in time for twins bath-time. I then finish any work I need to in the evenings (after cooking, eating and doing laundry etc).

Goldchilled7up Fri 26-Oct-12 23:06:10

Crazy, I know what you mean, it's hard. I've got 3 essays to hand in but really struggle to get any work done

Goldchilled7up Fri 26-Oct-12 23:09:41

sausage that's reassuring, thank you smile

cee that looks like a good arrangement. It's positive to see more bosses being flexible about working patterns

crazynanna Fri 26-Oct-12 23:10:31

I am allocating tomorrow for catch up on assignments..as dd is out for the day.

Sometimes I feel what have I done?

But sometimes I feel I can do this!!

ChristmasKate Fri 26-Oct-12 23:18:05

I work 5 days a week 9.30 - 2.30.

I'm fed up today so my answer will be that I spend my life doing school runs and after school friends and 5 hours during the day dong a job that should be full time, rushing around and everyone at work commenting on how nice my life is working part time.

hmm

Busy week, I love working and being able to do the school runs (3 children) but it has been a very long week smile

Sabriel Sat 27-Oct-12 16:19:55

On paper I work 5 days 9-3. In practice that doesn't allow for the journey from school to work and back, so I usually end up doing 4 days 9.20 to 2.55 and trying to do a full day on the other day. This has been made a bit easier now DD is in Y1 as one night a week they have a club after school until 4.15.

During the school hols I try to work extra hours so I've got some in hand for term time. Luckily the summer club I put her in for a couple of weeks ran from 8am to 6pm without extra charge so I made up a lot of time that I'm only now running out of.

tourdefrance Sun 28-Oct-12 20:37:36

I have one school aged DC and one at nursery. I work 4 days per week: 2 days 9-2.30, 2 days 9 - 4. DC1 goes to before school club (opens at 7.45) 3 days per week (DP works from home 1 day per week) and after school club (runs until 5.30) 2 days per week. When they are both at school I expect to increase to 5 days with after school 2 or 3 days per week.

narmada Sun 28-Oct-12 23:36:24

i have two kids,2 and 4 yr old in reception. I do 3 days, 830-430. DP does late shift, 10-6. He does drop off, i do pick up. we both have an hour commute each way but i quite enjoy it as it's me-time (if i can avoid smelly armpit blokes on train ;) ) .

we have a childminder who is ace.

fluffygal Sun 28-Oct-12 23:48:20

Crazy I feel ya! My routine with 5 under 6 and a helpful husband:
Mon uni 9-4.30 work 5-8pm
Tues placement for uni 9-4.30 work 10pm-7am
Weds same as tues
Thurs same as tues
Fri off!
Sat 7pm-7am every other
Sun 4.30-8.30

We manage with 2 childminders after school as can't get one to have all of them. OH does school run in the morning but we use breakfast club for 2 children as they go to two different schools that start at the same time, just to make life really difficult (moved house, 2 kids still on local school waiting list!).

Only 8 months of this then I graduate, yay! Then will hopefully get 9-5pm job like normal regular people!

fluffygal Sun 28-Oct-12 23:48:34

Crazy I feel ya! My routine with 5 under 6 and a helpful husband:
Mon uni 9-4.30 work 5-8pm
Tues placement for uni 9-4.30 work 10pm-7am
Weds same as tues
Thurs same as tues
Fri off!
Sat 7pm-7am every other
Sun 4.30-8.30

We manage with 2 childminders after school as can't get one to have all of them. OH does school run in the morning but we use breakfast club for 2 children as they go to two different schools that start at the same time, just to make life really difficult (moved house, 2 kids still on local school waiting list!).

Only 8 months of this then I graduate, yay! Then will hopefully get 9-5pm job like normal regular people.

ceeveebee Mon 29-Oct-12 09:14:35

fluffy when do you sleep???

Goldchilled7up Mon 29-Oct-12 20:30:13

Fluffy I'm shocked, you're a super woman! I will never complain about being tiered again. How do you cope? You must not sleep for 3 days. And when do you manage to write essays and other course work?

crazynanna Mon 29-Oct-12 22:47:32

shock fluffy

ChicMama25 Sat 03-Nov-12 17:56:53

I work 6am to 5pm two days and 7am to 6pm the other three. DD is at a school that provides wraparound child care from 7.30am to 6.30pm. My OH does the mornings and I do the pm pick up. It works well for couple both working full time but I'm knackered cos of my hours I must admit however need the money.

BackforGood Sat 03-Nov-12 18:08:50

When my youngest started school, I started arriving at work at 7.15 - dh would drop them at Breakfast club for when it opened at 7.45, and is able to be at work by 8 from that.
I would then leave at about 5 to 5, and get the rest of my work done in evenings
I was teaching then.
Now they are teens it's less crucial as they have their own keys and can come and go witout me.

bunjies Sat 03-Nov-12 18:34:15

I have 3 dc, 2 of which need dropping off, picking up from school.

I currently work 4 compressed days 8am-5pm, but in London so I leave the house at 6.45am and return at 6.30pm. Dh does pick up and drop off as he is self employed on those days and I do it on my day off.

When dh had a salaried job I did 5 days a week 8.30 - 2.30 and dh did drop off and I did pick up. We did live & work close to school/nursery then though.

confusedperson Fri 16-Nov-12 09:35:11

My DC are 5 and 2. Both DH and I work full-time. I work 9-4:30, DH works 9-5:30. DC2 goes to a nursery 8-6, so that is easy. DC1 goes to CM from 8:00, CM takes him to school, I collect from afterschool club about 5:10. Works fine and it is stress-free for me, but it buggers me that as a parent I am never seen at school. If I chose to work 9:30-5 instead of 9-4:30, I could do morning school run myself, which I would love to, but that would mean running afterwards to work to be in time, and running after work for collection to be in time.. And then we wouldn’t be in touch with our CM who is lovely and ready to help out in emergencies.. So dilemma, dilemma.

kaz1119 Sat 17-Nov-12 07:55:46

I work 9:30- 2:30 for 4 days.

I am doing the nursery run for dc2 and the school run for dc1.dc1 is severely autistic, no approbriate childcare available so i can only work school hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now