teachers?any info/advice about going bk part time?

(6 Posts)
reastie Thu 11-Oct-12 10:04:46

Are you in a union? They are great about going through all that stuff with you I ring mine all the time . I work pt, I'm head of dept but only me and a technician in my subject area so no TLR or dept head time or pay for it. I find working pt hard personally as it's very hard to do the proportion of your hours you should do, I find I do more equivalently for my pay than FT teachers, and I avoid everything extra work wise I can! I go in on my days off for parents evenings (although I'm private so state sector may be different) etc etc. I just get paid the equivalent of FT pay based on how many lessons I'm in for.

I work about 2 days a week and get around £11000 for that, although I do work alot more than 2 days in practical terms of course.

FWIW a little gem - BIL is a HT. He told DH that he loves employing PT workers when compared for FT as he gets more from them for the money he pays them <sigh> . I feel in my job like this is definitely right.

Giggle78 Mon 08-Oct-12 21:47:03

Its really good being a part time teacher. My life has changed completely. I was working ft from when my son was 5 months and I have just dropped to pt since September and it is much better. I really enjoy being at school and I really enjoy being at home. Its been like night and day with how much more I like it.

I work 0.6 and my salary went down by the same proportion. But because I dropped a tax band it wasn't so bad. And in fact my daily rate for the three days is more than before. Its just I do less days.

To supplement my income easily I do a paid duty for the three days I am in school and do exam marking for three weeks. So that adds an extra £4500 per year.

montymum Sun 23-Sep-12 19:19:28

Yes agree with two kids google tes, take home pay calculator it will work it all out for you. I was on roughly £1900 too for 5 days and take home around £1300 for 3 days

2kidsintow Sat 22-Sep-12 18:17:01

TES website has good advice. There is someone on there called Tafkam who gives good advice about pay.

When I went from f/t to 0.7, I also went down in the tax I paid, so I didn't lose too much, but that was a while ago.

I am ups3 and work 0.7 (4 mornings, 3 afternoons) and bring home approx 1500 if that's any help.

Rockchick1984 Mon 17-Sep-12 10:16:43

Not a teacher, but you would be better off than simply knocking your bet pay by the no of days you work as less of your income would be taxed. smile

allchik Sun 16-Sep-12 22:31:15

Hi,I know I will need to contact HR about this,but thought id ask u too!
Im a sec school teacher on mps 5 with a tlr (which was stripped last yr but pay protected for 2 more thats why Im counting it for now!) my net monthly is approx 2000... I am hoping to go bk either 3 or 4 days a wk n wondered how it would wrk with pay,is it as simple as taking off 1 or 2 5ths or would it be more because of paying less tax???
Also,do u think I would be likey to lose my tlr?

Also if anyone has any advice on anything to do with this topic thatd be fab!

Not due till Jan,but want to have a good think! Thankyou x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now