Any nurses out there? Can I have a quick word?

(164 Posts)
Kellamity Mon 25-Jun-12 16:40:47

I am about to do my return to practice course (Sept 2012) and between now and then I would like to get a bit of reading in as I have been out of practice for 9 year shock.

Can you recommend me a good all round journal? It always used to be either the Nursing Times or the Professional nurse and maybe a good text book for a bit of bedtime reading? I still have my Watsons!!! Any good pocket books that might come in handy for when I start work?

brittany1 Wed 11-Sep-13 12:46:09

Hi. Came across this thread as I have just started the process of searching for a course for next year. Having trouble contacting course leaders by phone at the moment and no replies via email although all the admin. staff have been great. I would appreciate any advice on placements. Looking around the Birmingham area but have no contacts there or knowledge of the area. I am currently abroad.

mandamoot Thu 12-Sep-13 10:47:57

hi there , new here but have just finished rtp course.
started in Jan. Had to self fund and sorted my own placement although uni did sort all other girls placements. I did 150 hrs on CCU and loved it.
It was terrifying at first as had been out for 9 years and had not nursed an adult for over 20 yrs. My previous speciality had been neonates but as I was adult trained I had to do my hours with adults !!!
am happy to answer any questions.

brittany1 Mon 16-Sep-13 09:40:34

Hi
I am not in the country so would appreciate any actual names of universities and names of placement contacts preferably in the Birmingham or London area as I can probably find accommodation there with friends. I have found this thread very reassuring but no one actually says where their placements were found. Contacts would be great. Many thanks.

Embo83 Tue 01-Oct-13 20:54:39

I live in Cornwall, and am trying to find an RTP course. Plymouth uni do one, but they can't guarantee it goes ahead next year due to funding. I know Bristol uni do one, but does anyone know if I could get a placement nearer to home and travel to Bristol for study days?
I am desperate to return to nursing after 5years. It's not gonna be easy!

PennySillin Tue 01-Oct-13 20:57:25

Embo I did mine in Swindon (I am the OP btw have namechanged!). 3 people on our course were from Cornwall and were really well supported locally and just came to Swindon for the study days. Mary Hopper at Oxford Brookes is the course contact and she will help you find a placement.

PennySillin Tue 01-Oct-13 20:58:09

Mary's last few courses have all been fully funded too!

Embo83 Wed 02-Oct-13 18:10:10

Thanks penny. I might email her to find out. How many days did u have to attend for study? Swindon seems far if it's a weekly thing lol

PennySillin Wed 02-Oct-13 18:12:37

I think initially it was 3 days and then it was about 3 or 4 compulsory study days - that's it! Everything else was local to them and she even visited them in placement (she likes it when she gets Devon and Cornwall students for this reason grin)

brummie2 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:56:11

Royal Bournemouth hospital offering placement opportunities for Bournemouth uni RtP students on nhs jobs website.

Leighgull Mon 17-Feb-14 17:21:09

I started RTCN via the University of Hertfordshire with a placement at Basildon A and E. it's tough as I have to knock off 375 hours as well as studying but, all being well, I'll finish in May. My advice is to keep plugging away to find a placement. Hospitals are very short of good Nurses. My main problem is getting to grips with what I can and can't do.

Good luck all.

Saro14 Tue 18-Feb-14 00:33:14

Hi All, Please I need placement badly in Mental Health. I have already secured a University place for September, 2014. Any ideas and help. Funded or non-funded. Am prepared to travel any where as all my children are grown up and independent.

Cheers.

tiptop1985 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:51:24

Hi, I was interviewed for rtp about 5 years ago at uea but told I would need to work as a hcsw and then to apply again as I'd been out since 1998 although my registration expired in 2005 whilst in the middle of bringing up 3 kids under 5 ( bit of paeds for a change!) I'm on my own now and have done some private terminal care work and am currently working in school as a teaching assistant. I would like to come back not only for me and the camaraderie of a team but also to give my kids a decent life. They will all be at high school this September.
I have a degree in English from 1999 and am currently studying a teaching and learning support diploma level 3...I'm worried I may not be up to the level required nowadays as I was RGN in 1988. As a single parent, I also need to study in Norfolk for childcare reasons. Has anyone undertaken a Uea course recently? I would be grateful for some advice. I asked a recent bsc graduate while my parent was in hospital last week and he said there were no courses running at present. Also, can you do distance learning with this? Thanks anyone!

stillkicking Sun 09-Mar-14 00:27:08

Hi i have been out of nursing 25yrs and am currently working in acute services as a HCA in NI. I love it and am wondering if all the stress of doing the RtNP is really worth it as I have always loved doing basic nursing care and the staff nurses of today are so bogged down in paperwork etc. Would value an opinion. Thanks

motsntoots14 Thu 21-Aug-14 14:13:14

Hi, i wonder if this thread is still active?.
I am starting a gateway to study module at Stirling university next month, with a view to doing RTNP in Feb 2015. Has anyone done the corse in Scotland?, and also i am dual trained in both adults and sick children..after the course, and doing placement on say an adult ward, would i still be able to apply for paediatric posts??
Many thanks,
Catrina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now