School Business Manager

(11 Posts)
MummaSquared Sat 30-Oct-10 15:20:10

Hi All,

I have been invited for interview for a part time SBM post. The selection process includes a series of practical tasks and a formal interview. Can anyone give me some advice on what to expect?

Also, if any current SBMs have any advice on the role it would be good to hear from you. I've been a SAHM for the past 2 years and am really excited to hav an interview, but am also very nervous.

Many thanks.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 30-Oct-10 15:32:22

Is it in a secondary or primary school? Does the invole involve just finance or other school office roles; pupil data management that sort of thing?

You might find looking at the [[http://www.fmsis.info/ fmsis] website helpful from a finance POV. All schools should be working within this framework.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 30-Oct-10 15:33:12
MummaSquared Sat 30-Oct-10 15:39:26

It's for a primary school and will also include management of the admin staff/data manager and caretaking staff.

Thanks for the link - I have printed off some information from there and will look into it further.

I'm thinking that the practical tasks may involve looking financial data and preparing a report?

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 30-Oct-10 15:46:08

Yes - I would expect a budget related task. Are you also expected to bring in funds from other sources, grants etc. Might be worth thinking sbout if you are faced with a task which predicts a deficit. Also have a look at the Ofsted report - are there any areas earmarking for improvement? Does the budget planning address these areas?

Good luck BTW smile

MummaSquared Sat 30-Oct-10 16:01:46

Ah yes, have just looked at the job description again and it states investigating and maintaining information on possible funding opportunities as an outcome, so thank you for that pointer.

The school was only recently formed as a primary following the closure of an infants and junior school so there are no Ofsted reports on the website. I'm, therefore, guessing that the main focus of the job at first will be to align policies and processes.

Thanks for your help. I feel a little calmer now that I think I am on the right track with my research.

Looby4 Sat 30-Oct-10 16:48:27

Look at the NCSL website under the SBM arena forum
Think about:
FMSIS,
Fundraising,
new models of schooling e.g. academies, federations, clusters
Extended Schools
School workforce issues
Use of ICT in schools
Budgeting
Facilities Management
Child Protection/ Confidentiality
Managing and leading a team.
Customer relations e.g. handling debt management etc.
Project Management

Job Interview is likely to have an in-tray task punctuated by.... a scenario of kids coming into the office with a problem..... staff sickness absence .... urgent call for the headteacher, but headteacher is not there necesitating a decision from you or at least you have to do something.... urgent request from Chair of Governing Body, and a Child Protection issue.

Practical tasks include letter writing, counting money - I was given a TESCO bag full of coppers, cash and cheques and asked to add it up, and put into Excel... Aaagh - and I got it wrong, but got the job!

I have a great document someone gave me with questions and answers and scenarios for an SBM interview. You're welcome to CAT me for it.

Good luck - I had 9 years as a SAHM before I became an SBM, and it's a great and varied role.

Looby4 Sat 30-Oct-10 16:49:08

Oh and ask for the School Improvement or School Development Plan so you can see where they're heading before Interview.

MummaSquared Sat 30-Oct-10 17:12:44

Thanks Looby. I have sent you a CAT.

Godsgift Tue 05-Mar-13 12:30:05

Hello Looby4

You said that you have a great document someone gave me with questions and answers and scenarios for an SBM interview.

Please can i have a copy?

How do I CAT you for it?

AnnieB2 Wed 02-Oct-13 17:27:12

I understand that this thread is now quite old but I too have been shortlisted for assessment and interview for the role of a School Business Manager in a primary school. Any advice welcomed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now