Talking at 6 months - is this even possible?

(77 Posts)
alandimi Mon 26-Jan-09 08:46:03

My exP's mother swears exP was talking (actual words not dada, mama etc) at 6 months old and that by 1 year he was managing sentences and having conversations. Is this even possible? I don't think I've ever come across a baby that could hold a conversation at 1. And so now when we go round to see her she asks if my dd will be talking soon - she's 4 and a half months!!

sarah293 Mon 26-Jan-09 08:48:51

Message withdrawn

Paperchase Mon 26-Jan-09 08:49:56

It is very common for the older generation to have lost their marbles a poor recollection of when their child did what.

6 months?

I very much doubt it. 3 word sentences not uncommon at 12 months.

Soon, she will tell you your exP was potty trained at 14months and could read and write at 2.

Smile and nod.

XH's grandma swears that her 4 were potty trained at 6 months!

They seem to lose their recolections of time when they get past a certain age I think.

I am not being mean BTW - his grandma was the only nice member of the family!

LIZS Mon 26-Jan-09 08:53:03

Simple sounds maybe but tbh it sounds more like a selective memory lapse to me ! She'll swear he was potty trained by a year too , you wait.

Paperchase Mon 26-Jan-09 08:58:12

Oh - when I say 'uncommon', I actually mean 'not unheard of.'

Not very common to be putting words together at 12 months, really.

You may like to start responding with a cheery laugh and say "Oh, they're all the same at five" whenever she starts on the 'hasn't she done x yet?"

alandimi Mon 26-Jan-09 08:59:51

Hmm, my mother doubts it too! ExP is very clever but I didn't talk until I was 3 so I doubt my little dd will be holding a debate any time soon!

Bonkers!

lindenlass Mon 26-Jan-09 09:05:51

I doubt it! I can't see how on earth a baby of that age can have enough control over his muscles in his mouth to make them say words!

Some older people do have rather a skewed memory sometimes...

seeker Mon 26-Jan-09 09:41:35

My dd was saying proper words at 9 months - and putting them together in at 10 months. Nobody believed me - then she pointed at a Christmas tree and said "LOOK! Pitty lights!" in the presence of 10 witnesses when she was 11 months (on her dad's birthday so I know exactly when it was) She went on to be a very articulate, fluent talker - but has never been more than averagely bright, so it doesn't actually mean anything except that this was a particular hoop she jumped through very early. It was huge fun, though!

SIL claims my dneice said first words at about 6mo (all gone, ta etc.) she probably did as she was very advanced with language.

ds could definitely say cat at 9mo and had quite a few words and animal sounds by a year.

dd1 was 18mo before any words passed her lips!

kittybrown Mon 26-Jan-09 11:07:50

My ds said words at 6 mths we dismissed it at first but he would point to pictures of balls in books and say "boll" as well as a few others. He was a very fluent sentence talker by around 16mths. He was unsual but we thought nothing of it as our friends dd was just as fluent at the same age.
So I know it's possible just a bit unusual.

lijaco Mon 26-Jan-09 12:08:40

smile and wave boys !

RockinSockBunnies Mon 26-Jan-09 12:10:34

I did once know a child progidy that could read The Times fluently at around 15 months. Both his parents were total brainiacs and obviously their son was gifted in the extreme!

But other than that one child, I've never come across any others like that.

lijaco Mon 26-Jan-09 12:11:27

I dont think that 16 months is unusual my ds is that age now and talking really well.
he can ask for what he wants, chat on the telephone to others. He speaks to people outside by starting conversation with hello. He is really funny.

PurlyQueen Mon 26-Jan-09 12:38:02

My son said 'cat' and 'miaow' in front of my mother and I when he was 9 months old.

I told this to my MIL. She humoured me - until he said 'baby' in front of her at 10 months.

MissusLindt Mon 26-Jan-09 12:42:32

I went to Germany as an Aupair and the little boy that I looked after was VERY advanced. He was speaking in sentences when I arrived, just a month before his first birthday at the end of September.

I clearly remember him looking out at the snow and asking "Wo ist die Urlaub?" (Where is the holiday?). They had recently been on a skiing holiday, he did not realise that he could see snow at home too.

He was walking too, and riding a 3-wheeler. In fact, I thought for ages that he had just turned 2yo.

It is possible, but very unusual.

seeker Mon 26-Jan-09 14:33:53

But as I said, it's just a "performing monkey" trick - it doesn't say anything about their intelligence or development in other areas.

Marne Mon 26-Jan-09 14:36:05

Dd1 (AS) spoke from around 7 months, her first word was 'triangle' shock, she hasn't shut up since grin.

MissusLindt Mon 26-Jan-09 16:18:37

True, Seeker. A friend's uncle spoke extremely early and everyone thought he was a genius.

It was the first and last time that he excelled his peers in anything.

seeker Mon 26-Jan-09 17:24:22

I suspect they all do it - but most of them haven't got the muscular control to form the words comprehensibly. My dd still has a very clear voice and she sings - I wonder whether there is something about the muscles of the mouth and tongue that makes these early talkers different from their equally articulate but incomprehensible peers!

ladycornyofsilke Mon 26-Jan-09 17:27:04

In contrast Einstein spoke very late!

coppertop Mon 26-Jan-09 20:29:44

Dd was able to talk at around 6-7mths old and it freaked me out a fair bit, mainly because ds2 had started as an early talker and then regressed before later being diagnosed with autism.

By 7 months she was saying things like "Hello Daddy" and "Bye bye, Mummy". still has good language skills.

Before anyone accuses me of smuggery though, ds1 was a late talker (3'ish when he said his first real word) and ds2 has language difficulties.

lljkk Tue 27-Jan-09 10:30:24

Friend claimed that her DD was saying 'light' and 'ball' at 6-7 months, I believe her because the mother talked about it at the time and could be very specific about when and where (though I didn't notice the child's words). What I actually observed for myself was that this little girl was talking in lengthly complex sentences by 18 months.

givethedogAhomebirth Tue 27-Jan-09 10:33:36

Message withdrawn

spinspinsugar Tue 27-Jan-09 10:45:28

Amazing lljkk, my ds also said light and ball at around 6mo . At 7-8 mo he was saying things like moon, 'pider (spider) and 'ircle (circle), and had a good handful of words. Sentences at a year, has always been very communicative, observant and expressive (and funny). My dd was a month or so behind... I thought they were both pretty normal. As another poster pointed out, at 5yo ds is a very normal boy!

newpup Tue 27-Jan-09 10:59:30

My DD2 had quite a reasonable vocabulary at 7 months and she was talking in sentences by a year old. She is very bright and articulate. Now at age 7, she is several years ahead of her peers in terms of spoken and written language.

However, I do remember people looking doubtful when I told them things she had said! Even now I do not think people believe she talked that early unless they heard her. wink

AMumInScotlandsAMumForAThat Tue 27-Jan-09 11:16:56

As I understand it, up till 6 months at least, their wind-pipe is just not shaped right to be able to make the full range of sounds. I think it has to do with making it harder for them to choke / easier to drink and breathe at the same time. In tiny babies it sort of "sticks up" from their gullet (think of a short snorkle!), but that restricts the sounds they can make. Most animals are also more like that, making choking less of a risk. We only have a "risky" windpipe design to allow us to talk.

Sycamoretree Tue 27-Jan-09 11:22:44

I thought my DD was EXCEPTIONAL (smug emoticon) when she said her first word at 9 months (I have it written down, so it must be true!). I remember it very clearly and it wasn't mama or dada. She then very swiftly moved on to two word "sentences" like "in there" when putting her toys in her toy box. She learned to say "ta" at the same time, when she was given a big of fruit or whatever. I'd say by 1 yr old I could "talk" to her. By 18 months, we could have a conversation of some sorts.

Now I am getting my swift slap back to earth with DS (17 months) who basically has Dadda, Star and NO! (a la George Pig) and that is IT!

ZipadiSoozi Tue 27-Jan-09 11:35:22

My ds1 was 6months for 'mama' & 'dada' and at 9months 'tea' but - he was a slow talker putting sentences together, he was 5yo by the time he spoke ok, whereas my twins could talk sentences when they were 2yo, I take the general fact though that they all learn at different times and that like somebody else said, by the time they start school, children can speak well.

cbtrue Tue 27-Jan-09 12:02:25

My ds started talking at 7-8 months and could join two or three words together by 1 year. I wrote down all the words she could say when she was about 15 months, after about 3o mins I gave up as there were so many. She has continued in the same way. She is a non-stop talker, has a huge vocabulary and soaks words up like a sponge. At 5y6m she is learning spannish (at school) and picking up french from somewhere. She also has her own "language" which is highly amusing. The downside is that she has become very pedantic (i.e. you have to be very precise about time and asking her to do something as she tend to take everything literally) and does not always know when to stop speaking.

lljkk Tue 27-Jan-09 18:00:53

About what muminScotland said, I thought the throat changes occurred at 4 months old (but I don't know for sure). Before then they can drink and breathe at same time. This is why the vocalisations start to change around 4 months old, because of the thingamabob moving down the throat.

Don't know where I read that, somewhere that seemed authoritative.

keevamum Tue 27-Jan-09 18:13:29

I honestly can not say when my DD1's first word was. She seemed like she was born talking....at 4months she was making the mumum dadad sounds but I thought she can't be speaking it's too early at 6 months there were much more sounds like bubu for baby and push and doll. At 10 months she was putting 2 words together. We went on holiday to France and I have such vivid memories of her saying 'shoes on' 'that's enough!', 'more milk' as well as clearly saying 'bonjour' to the french people. She was speaking in short 3 word sentences at a year and almost fluently with a wide vocabulary by 18 months. I think she is still bright but not noticeably so at age 8. It was such a shock when DD2 did everything at a much more normal pace and didn't start speaking in sentences until nearly 2!!

mumsobusy Wed 28-Jan-09 09:09:16

my ds could say mama dada at around 6 months also at 5-6 months we would say oh dear have you got a cough and he would cough around 11 months he started to say just single words 15-16 two or three words together and now at 3 he is a chatterbox he is able to have a conversation in two languages even translate the words he knows

nickschick Wed 28-Jan-09 09:12:46

ds1 did notspeak til he was 4 shock
ds2 had a dreadful lisp and you had to listen hard at what he said.
ds3 was definitely talking at 6 months and full convos at a year--- and hes never stopped talking since!!!!

troutpout Wed 28-Jan-09 09:18:25

ds said his first words at 6 months...he was speaking in full sentences by a year. He spoke as if he had learned it from a manual.
He also has special needs

Miggsie Fri 30-Jan-09 11:53:36

My MIL says all her childreen were reading before they went to school, which is patent nonsense as DH was sent to a special unit when he was 7 becuase his reading was so poor and he distinctly remembers being labelled "stupid"

ninedragons Fri 30-Jan-09 12:06:34

DD (12 months) very distinctly said "oh bugger" the other day in front of my mother and me, so we are all resolutely pretending that she still hasn't started talking yet.

keevamum Fri 30-Jan-09 17:16:35

Nine dragons my dd used to say that too at about 10-12 months. It was so embarrasing as we obviously hadn't expected her to be talking so early and so we weren't watching our p's and q's. She particularly loved shouting it at the top of her voice in the supermarket we always used to cover it up by saying yes you are in your buggy you clever girl!!! Don't think we fooled anyone!

TiggyR Sun 15-Feb-09 14:09:17

Hi, my son who is 16 said a lots of words other than just mama and dada at barely more than 6 months and he managed simple sentences at a year. No more that two or three words really, things like 'more pear' and 'no bed!' 'Dada go work' etc, but sentences all the same. We have video of him doing it, and I used to write down all his vocab until he was about 9-10 months and I couldn't keep up any more so I stopped, but i still have it in his baby book, so I know it's not a selective memory/over-imagination thing! He could also identify all the letters of the alphabet by the time of his second birthday, because back then he was the first child and I had the time and inclination to teach him. He also used to memorise word for word all his story books and would 'read' them out loud to himself prompted by the pictures. (around 24 months) He knew all the Thomas, Pingu, and Noddy books off by heart with 100% accuracy. That was some party trick, I can tell you. I thought I had the new Einstein on my hands. Unfortunately he peaked early with his impressive alphabet and memory 'reading' tricks, and then, refusing to show any other signs of giftedness, retired gracefully aged 2 and a half, to become lovely but average.

My second son (nearly 14) on the other hand didn't say much at all until two and a half, and then babbled unintelligable nonsense until he was nearly 4. In fact I still don't understand most of what he says because he mumbles and gabbles and his speech is very lazy, yet he's actually turned out to be the really clever one, and is top in his whole year at English in an independent school where the standards are generally very high. Go figure!

hellymelly Sun 22-Feb-09 20:54:22

My dd1 said her first words at 6m,and dd2 was five months.they both could string words together by 12m.DD2 is now 21m and says things like "this lunch is delicious,thank you Mama".Very funny.Much less noticable in DD1 now she is 4 as her friends have caught up with her,so her speech is sophisticated but not freakishly so.

Hulababy Sun 22-Feb-09 21:09:07

DD said her first words at 6 months - only mummy/daddy, but very clean and aimed at correct people. She could say many words at a year old and put the odd couple together, and by 18m was saying longer sentences. At her 1 year and 2 year checks the HV commented on her speech and it is recorded in her baby books.

DD isn't gifted and talented, but early talking just runs in the female side of my family from what we can gather.

hellymelly Tue 24-Feb-09 21:52:12

yes I remember reading somewhere that it is an inherited trait.Certainly my brother and I both talked at 6m too.I do think my daughters are bright,they both seem pretty clever,but I would not say that either of them is in the gifted+talented bracket.

scrooged Tue 24-Feb-09 21:59:08

ds's first word was 'dirty' grin, he was 7 months, by his first birthday he used to walk around saying 'numbers and letters', carrying a bus with numbers and letters on it. A few weeks later he could name all the numbers, letters and shapes by sight and out of sequence. I could have six word conversations with him by 14 months, he was an early reader (three and a half) and has always had excellent english skills. I remember taking him on the bus when he was 2 and he was asking questions, the bloke behind was earwigging and asked when ds started at Eton. He was assessed at just over 9 as having the skills of a 16 year old, he was higher, the scale only goes up to 16 so it is possible for children to talk early.
He was laughing at three weeks, I didn't think it was odd, I do now!

NannyNightmare Thu 16-Apr-09 04:40:54

DS's first word was 'duck' at age 7 months. Followed by ball, book, mama, dada, ya-ya (what we call dummies), at age 8 months. True.

Hulababy Tue 21-Apr-09 21:40:02

Yes it is possible. My DD began to talk from 6 months, starting with muma and dada (whlilst aimed at the right person), but quickly adding more and more words and then sentences, etc. It was commented on at her 1y and 2y assessments at the HV. Both my sister and myself were also early talkers. My nana says my mum was too.

kentmumtj Tue 09-Jun-09 00:16:32

im not sure i entirely agree that babies as young as this form words as such it is more sounds that adults intepret as words.

i work with lots of babies and am yet to see a 6 month old who can speak words

even smiling at 3 weeks old again hmm wind i would say if im honest

coppertop Tue 09-Jun-09 13:14:51

Until dd came along I wouldn't have believed it either tbh. My 2 other children have/had speech & language therapy so I personally would have been thrilled if dd had been able to say anything by the age of 2yrs.

Dd was monitored closely by the people working with her brothers in case she had any similar issues. "Did she just say what I thought she just said?" was something I was asked fairly regularly when dd was a baby - so it wasn't just me trying to convince myself that she could talk.

Ehamlin Sat 29-Sep-12 23:23:44

I was talking at 6 months and could say full sentences when I was 1 so it is possible. Even a speech therapist thought I was older but then again I could also eat apple before I had teeth.

bruffin Sat 29-Sep-12 23:33:22

zombie thread

Aspiemum2 Sat 29-Sep-12 23:38:27

DDT is 4 months and saying Boob!
She's just trying sounds really but does look rather proud of herself, it goes like this "boobooboo boob" daddy laughs so she giggles!

jojane Tue 02-Oct-12 20:27:27

My ds1 was 2 yrs 3 moths before he uttered a single word, before that it was just pointing and "uh", he is very very intelligent ad advanced for his age at 5 yrs old
On the other had dd was talking very well by 1 year old (abd hasnt hut up since, shes 4 now and talks from the moment she gets up til the moment she goes to sleep!) and although isn't stupid is probably just normal for her age do not sure that early speech is conducive to high intelligence in the same way that mine were all early walkers (confident walkers at 9-10 months but as older children aren't any more physically able than their peers who didn't walk til 18 months

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ledkr Wed 03-Oct-12 11:02:11

Have you noticed it changes too? Often I feel in the interests of awkwardness.
If dd isnt sleeping mil will either say that "mine slept 14 hrs from birth" or describe nights from hell. I often wonder if she just cant remember it.

I am in the slightly unusual situation of having a grand child then a year later my won baby hmm I used to dish out advice to dil recalling my experiences with the other dc. Lets just say I have had to eat a fair bit of humble pie in the last year blush

ledkr Wed 03-Oct-12 11:03:03

own not won obv grin

Babyrabbits Wed 03-Oct-12 21:06:36

I recorded all milestones exactly. Roll on two years and what i thought i remembered was way off the mark.

However my first born had three word sentances at ten months. ( fact) Now at four she speaks like an adult. ( an articulate adult) She NEVER shuts up. She astonishes every health professional.

Mother in law still claims that dh was way more advanced. Womens an idiot!

NatashaBee Wed 03-Oct-12 21:22:29

For those of you who have early-talking babies... do you find they were less focused/interested in moving? DS (13mo) is not much of a talker, he seems to spend all his energy climbing things and running away. But during the periods of days/weeks that he's less active, he does seem to get more articulate and focuses on talking more (although still only says a few words regularly - mumma, dadda, cat, [sister's name], bubba/bottle) and will surprise me by repeating 2 or 3 word sentences perfectly back at me. Including 'Bugger off cat' the other day. Ooops.

learnandsay Thu 04-Oct-12 12:58:18

Are you sure she's not simply asking to wind you up, knowing that since it's impossible you'll just get a complex about it?

Aspiemum2 Sun 07-Oct-12 00:12:11

Natasha, I have 4 dc's - 2 of each. From my own little ones the boys have been faster at physical development and the girls faster at social development. Whether this is true for all babies I don't know (am guessing not) but definitely applies to mine.

Aspiemum2 Sun 07-Oct-12 00:15:11

That maybe wasn't clear - for example ds1 was tearing round the place by his first birthday but only saying one word. Dd1 was chatting non stop and even counting to 10 by her first birthday but only bum shuffling.

Dd1 is the more intellectual but not sure her early speech is that related as ds1 is probably equally smart but lazier!

I don't think ealry talking is a sign of G&Tness, as in all honesty, they learn as they go and where they excel in one area they don't in another. Plus, by the time you are 22, who honestly will care? Noone asks in a job interview when you started talking/walking/sleeping through the night. And I say this as the mother of an early talker.

At 6mo DD could say Mama, Daddy and Car. Now, at ten months she also says Gone, Hiya, "Hiya Mama/Daddy", tries to say Good Girl by saying "g girl" and also "who's that?" when someone walks in.

I think she is amazing, but that is because she is mine. She isn't gifted and talented. She's perfectly average in every way. She is perfect to me and dh though grin

NatashaBee Sun 07-Oct-12 02:02:36

Wow - counting by 1yo! I think you're right about boys being more physical - DS's nursery room is 8 boys and 1 girl at the moment. The girl is very articulate, greets me at the door saying 'hi, X's mummy!' and 'x, your mummy is here!' and regularly tells me things like 'I drew a picture today'. She is 14 mo. meanwhile, the boys just say 'hi' and 'bye' and spend most of their time trying to climb out the window grin

Aspiemum2 Sun 07-Oct-12 02:11:42

Sounds about right! Dd1 had no idea what it meant, ds1 was learning it at nursery so she was just copying. She is stupidly clever though, no idea where she gets it from confused. mind you she is beyond crap at sports

MadameCupcake Tue 09-Oct-12 15:52:25

DS1 could say proper words at 7/8 months and was speaking properly (complex sentences) by about 16/17 months so I am guessing it is quite possible for a 1 year old to speak well. DS2 was quite a bit later so not being smug or anything - its just how it was.

MadameCupcake Tue 09-Oct-12 15:57:04

I am not sure how intellegence matches to early talking/walking etc. DS1 was walking at 9 months and from the age of 3 has always had a reading age double his own age - he is now 6. He is working quite a bit ahead in all school stuff.

One of the other children who is also well ahead at school was a really early talker but the other one was really behind in all those things as a baby but is really ahead at school - her social skills are still poor though. I think it is maybe more the social skills that go hand in hand with the early talking/walking not actual intellegence.

MadameCreeper Fri 12-Oct-12 00:29:41

Around the one year mark my eldest son could string words together and we could engage in some sort of two way conversation, along with a very good vocab. He was also very active and physical. He's now in secondary school and has always been not very great at literacy and sport.

Posterofapombear Fri 12-Oct-12 00:33:29

My DD could say two sentences at 9 months and use the words individually in correct context. i.e. Ducks go quack quack, I have no idea why this was what she chose to say blush

Couldn't bloody walk until she was 16 months though grin

EmBOOsa Fri 12-Oct-12 00:36:45

DS talks eloquently at 6 months, that is as long as you want to talk about "da" "ra" or "pfft".

Idratherbemuckingout Fri 02-Nov-12 19:28:24

Hi, I am not that old and my memory is not clouded but my daughter spoke her first word at just under 8 months and by 15 months was talking like a child literally twice her age. She went on to skip Year 6 and go straight from year 5 to year 7 at secondary school and is still superbright. Her brothers seemed slow in comparison to her, as they didn't talk until about 10 to 12 months old but all were early and clear talkers.
One of her brothers has aspergers and an IQ of 145, another has just been classed as gifted. No doubt she was too which would explain the early talking.

richmal Sat 03-Nov-12 09:35:24

Dd did not start talking until about 18 months, but at around 7 months I started doing signs with her. By about 12 months she knew around 20 different signs. It made things lots easier, as when she cried she could "tell" me what was wrong.

Nuttyprofessor Mon 05-Nov-12 21:34:06

On her first birthday I took my DD to the clinic and someone asked if she was walking. DD replied "how do you think I got here?"

DS didn't say a word until 2 years, but he has a far higher IQ than DD.

noisytoys Tue 06-Nov-12 10:36:10

DD1 could talk at 7 months. She is ridiculously bright (sent for ed psych assessment by health visitor paid for by NHS because she was so bright)

DD2 is 2 and half now and can only say a few words. Can't put sentences together. Can't point at a picture and tell me what it is. All children are different

yorks05 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:06:06

I would say it's quite rare.
I think gp's have a habit of doing this.
My ds who is 5 still had poo accidents. MIL very kindly announced in front of him that dh and dsil were both toiled trained by 18 months!!
Drives me crazy. Just ignore.

ISeeThreadPeople Tue 13-Nov-12 11:13:43

This thread just refuses to die doesn't it?

PiedWagtail Wed 14-Nov-12 21:23:34

I was speaking in sentences at 12 months, reading at 3 (I couldn't wal till 18 months though...) My mum thought it was normal till she realised that nobody else's child was doing the same. I have remained a 'word' person and always precocious with English and everything verbal - was put upa year in primary school, etc. - and now work in a word-related industry. So it can happen!

inadreamworld Thu 29-Nov-12 20:06:11

My Mum says I was potty trained at 10 months and talking in sentences at a year old. I am inclined to think she is really stretching the truth. Possibly actually a bit deluded.

anice Tue 04-Dec-12 21:31:43

I was potty trained by 10 months. I found out when I got my medical records (long story) and I found a letter in there when I was 10 months old from my GP to the hospital which mentioned it. It didn't make me a genius though (more's the pity!).

happily3 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:55:36

My ds startled me completely by clearly saying 'oh baby' at 4 months as I was trying to soothe him. It was on a nightmare day at a horribly formal lunch after weeks of stress moving countries with 3 children in tow. He yelled all the time and I was constantly patting his back and saying 'oh baby' to him ... He never said it again and I can't remember when he started talking. I will always believe he said it though. it was clear as a bell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now