Should I try and push the school...

(7 Posts)
WhattodoSue Mon 10-Oct-16 09:08:10

...to offer more extension work in Maths? My DD in Y3 is an advanced reader, but it seems that what she really loves is maths. However, although she loves maths, she finds it boring at school. They do mixed ability teaching, and she recently got a certificate for doing really good explaining of concepts to other children in her group who don't understand. But although I know this is a good skill, it is not an inspiring activity for a child who really wants to learn more complex concepts.

We are going to try khans Academy at home - based on recommendations on here - but I wondered what your schools do for extension work and how successful you have been with asking your school to provide something that stimulates your children!

i was thinking of using the push to get women into STEM subjects as a justification for not boring a 7 year old girl whose favourite subject is maths (with the caveat that it isn't challenging enough) grin

Just to add, I really don't think she is gifted in the realms of many of your children. But she is bright and loves to be challenged.

2014newme Mon 10-Oct-16 09:13:04

Of course! What are you waiting for? If you don't push for your child's interests, who will??!!

irvineoneohone Mon 10-Oct-16 10:54:34

Yes, definitely.
Though I completely lost hope at my ds's school. But you never know, some posters' school seems to be great.

Addition to khan, I recommend nrich and wildmaths and aops

JustRichmal Mon 10-Oct-16 12:31:48

You only have to look at a few of the previous threads in this section to see what difficulties others have had with this problem. It seems to be a bit of a lottery whether or not a school deals with this well.
The extension work its self can sometimes be a problem as this can mean just placing a sheet of more difficult sums in front of a child, with no other teaching.
Sometimes people on this thread write that their ds has been put up into a higher year or has had someone from secondary school come in specially to teach him. Interestingly, I have not read about this happing to dds, so would like to know if this has also happened for anyone's daughter.
In primary school teachers went our of their way not to teach dd to her level, including blocking any attempts on our part for school to give her tests to find her level. They preferred instead to try and convince us we were delusional about her abilities.
Things got better in secondary.
So yes, do keep pushing, but mainly keep educating her at home also. Dd still loves maths and science, partly because we did not leave her education entirely to the school.

RueDeWakening Wed 12-Oct-16 22:19:38

My DD (year 5) is in a small extension maths group. A high school teacher comes in once a week to take them - the group has about 5 kids in, and at least 3 of them are girls. It's a female maths teacher too. Not sure what she's teaching, but DD is enjoying it.

I hadn't thought about it being access-to-STEM-for-girls driven, but it might be.

greathat Wed 16-Nov-16 22:21:40

mathswhizz is good

MaisyPops Thu 17-Nov-16 14:44:37

Definitely ask about putting them into an extension group. My secondary sends our teachers into our feeders primaries to help stretch the more able children. It's often saved from y6 but no harm in asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now