Non fiction books for 7 year old DS

(16 Posts)
DingbatsFur Sat 20-Feb-16 09:44:02

I don't think DS2 is particularly gifted and talented but this board is fabulous for suggestions and book lists.
DS2 is a bright kid but fiction books leave him cold. I feel I have tried everything. The only books that have really kept him up at night are the Usborne 'see inside' books which loves. What else might he like other than the see inside books?

Mistigri Sat 20-Feb-16 10:28:33

Usborne have a lot of non-fiction books. What is he particularly interested in?

My DS used to love a general science/nature/history magazine published by the French publisher Bayard - the English version is called Discovery Box and I would highly recommend it (it's nothing like British children's magazines - high quality, glossy production, and interesting articles that are not too dumbed down). It's marketed for 8-12 year olds, but perfect for good readers below this age group.

DingbatsFur Sat 20-Feb-16 11:10:43

Thanks! He likes science, dogs, technology and under the sea.
I have the Usborne space and under the sea basic books.

I'll have a look for Discovery Box. We had Acquila but I think they found it a bit dry. I cancelled the subscription and there was no great sadness.

irvine101 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:39:36

My ds loves this series.

www.basherbooks.com/uk/aboutbooks.html

BrieAndChilli Sat 20-Feb-16 11:49:53

Ds1 is g&t in literacy and he is 9 and has never really liked fiction books (apart from hobbit and Lord of the rings)
He likes
All the marvellous maths, horrible science, horrible history books
He loves the usbourne lifthw flap books
He likes the Lego books, Star Wars Lego etc
Build your own adventure books
He loves goegraphy so loves his lonely planets not feeling grown ups book and his maps book
He likes guiness books of records and other books about gruesome facts/100 facts about .....

BrieAndChilli Sat 20-Feb-16 11:52:41

We also subscribe to readily.
It's £10 a month as you can have up to 5 people on it. You can then access loads of magazines through the app on your tablet. Kids love the kids national geographic, kids magazines, Xbox magazines, etc and it has lots for me and DH too.

Creatureofthenight Sat 20-Feb-16 11:56:19

My friend's DD gets a science mag called Whizz Pop Bang (I think!), you have to order online, she loves it.

Mistigri Sat 20-Feb-16 13:47:08

You probably won't find Discovery Box on the magazine racks but you can order here. I highly recommend getting a subscription - it's excellent for children with broad non-fiction interests. Not dry at all.

www.bayard-magazines.co.uk/discovery-box/

(French kids' literature tends to be a bit try-hard but their magazine publishing is excellent!)

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 22-Feb-16 13:16:06

We get Whizz Pop Bang and my children love it, DD is 8 and it seems really well pitched and interesting. (DD didn't like Aquila - had previously loved Okido but grew out of it)

We like the Usborne see inside books too. I like the computing one - found that very interesting myself!

iseenodust Tue 23-Feb-16 09:03:38

The Deadly 60 books
Maths quest series (mix a short story with puzzles)

greenbloom Thu 24-Mar-16 16:40:32

I use treetops non-fiction, which cover all kinds of topics. They tend to generate a lot of discussion when I use them in group reading

sunnydayinmay Thu 24-Mar-16 16:43:18

DS1adored Horrible Histories l, and the equivalent science/geography/maths books. You can often find the in charity shops. We have dozens around the house, and were by far his favourites.

DingbatsFur Thu 24-Mar-16 16:46:56

Thanks so much folks! These have been great suggestions!

Cuttheraisins Thu 24-Mar-16 19:06:32

Ds doesn't really like fiction either but he absolutely loved the series 'The Boy Who Biked The World'. It's basically written by a guy who cycled around the world and writes his adventures as a 10 year old boy. It's funny, with lots of facts, geography, cultural references, words in different languages, etc. It's really the only fiction books he has enjoyed.

TheWanderingUterus Thu 24-Mar-16 23:31:17

Has he seen the Stephen Biesty cross section books? www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Biestys-Incredible-Cross-Sections-Cross-sections/dp/0679814116

mrsmortis Wed 06-Apr-16 10:52:52

A bit late to the party, but my DD gets this magazine which she loves: www.whizzpopbang.com/

I'd also second the Horrible Science and Murderous Maths books. Also there is a brilliant book called The Usborne Official Astronaut's Handbook with a foreward by Tim Peake. My DD reads some of it at least once a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now