Summer born assumptions

(9 Posts)
pamplem0usse Thu 18-Feb-16 21:51:59

So not necessarily g&t but would appreciate any advice.
DD is an end of August child. All through Reception it was implied she was struggling and while she met or exceeded all state sector expectations (she's in an independent school) I had a feeling all was not going to turn out well when they started streaming in yr1.
Anyway worst fears were confirmed and she ended up in a remedial phonics group (w/ 6 of 60 children and taught by a ta rather than a teacher) and I was told she needed keeping on ort stage 2 books because of her confidence. Come
January I decided to take things into my own hands, took her to a bookshop and let her choose whatever she wanted: came home with the Chapter book version of "The owl who was afraid of the dark". With gentle support and v little other input she is reading this fluently and by sight along with early Roald Dahl/ ort level 9+ (I haven't pushed this any further) without error and with good comprehension. Her teacher has realised something is "up" and asked what private tuition I've put in place (none!) and I'm a little bemused as to quite how this has happened. Have a parents evening coming up and wondering how to tackle her still being in bottom set for literacy activities. Does this just seem like a "normal" leap? She's 5yrs5 months....

irvine101 Thu 18-Feb-16 22:33:43

If she exceeded all state sector expectations, she must be advanced.
As for clicked for reading at age5+, I don't know it's normal or extraordinary, it really depend on each child, I think. A lot of children start to fly during YR1/2 for reading.

RedOnHerHedd Fri 19-Feb-16 00:03:23

Some children just don't get reading and then all of a sudden it just clicks into place and they get it. DS1 was struggling with reading at that age and just wasn't interested in it at all. He was assigned extra tuition in school with a 1to1 for reading. Now he's 11 and he's well above average for literacy, so much so he's been chosen to go on master classes for "more able" children. And his maths is outstanding!

I would question her being in the bottom set and see if they can reevaluate where she should be. I was an August baby too and "slower" to catch on than other children in my class, but by about 6 or 7 It didn't make any difference.

var123 Fri 19-Feb-16 05:39:24

I don't know if there is any research but I suspect something happens to their brains around 5 1/2. I witnessed it with my two - they just both suddenly started to fly.

Also, the way reading it taught in school can be a bit laborious. It works for most, but your approach is what worked for my sons and I think the ultra slow and steady school approach would have turned them off.

Asking the teacher to assess her ahead of your parent meeting so that you can have a discussion at the meeting about where she is now and what she needs going forward.

Mistigri Fri 19-Feb-16 08:23:52

I think for a lot of children there is a moment when all the developmental prerequisites are in place and reading just "clicks". Children are often developmentally ready between 5 and 6, which is why most continental education systems don't teach reading formally until this age ...

Anyway the upshot is that yes I do think that a bright August born child could appear "behind" a group of similarly bright, but older kids, and then suddenly catch up in year 1. I would be concerned about an education professional who was not open to this possibility. In fact any experienced teacher should have seen this happen many times!

It's also worth saying that although I firmly believe that phonics is best for most children, it's not necessarily best for all children, and intensive, repetitive phonics with a TA (which will necessarily have taken time away from broader literary teaching) may actually have held your daughter back. If I were paying, not sure I'd be happy about this ...

Mistigri Fri 19-Feb-16 08:25:34

*Should say "literacy teaching"

HeadDreamer Fri 19-Feb-16 08:52:01

I won't be happy if I'm paying for that education.

Atenco Thu 25-Feb-16 04:52:07

If I were paying, not sure I'd be happy about this

Just because a school is private, that does not mean it is good.

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 27-Feb-16 14:41:50

Both my children are summer born and both suddenly "got" reading at about the same stage of year 1. In your shoes I'd definitely be asking how often they review the reading groups and when she will be put in a more appropriate group. Given that her teacher has clearly noticed the leap in ability, you have the perfect opportunity to ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now