My son

(6 Posts)
Lucsy Mon 18-Jan-16 17:36:08

Is 11, year 7 selective state grammar school. Top of his year and he isn't being challenged at all.
He gets some extension work at school, but finishes this quickly
Eg. In sept he got given a booklet for maths extension work, he finished it within lesson time within 2 lessons. He does his homework in lessons as he finished his work quickly

He has an amazing brain. And yet he isn't even close to working at capacity.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want him pushed and working 4 hours a night, but he is doing nothing.
He's only been at his school a few months.
He especially good at maths and science but is luckily enough to be very good at anything academic he tackles.

He's very very bored.
Should I leave it and do nothing? Wait for school to do something? I'm not even sure that giving him more work to get even further ahead is a good idea, as won't this make the problem worse as he goes on?

He has always been obviously very bright, could talk in full sentences before he could even walk and was reading cereal boxes at 3 without being taught to read.
It's just recently when I spoke to school that I've realised how bright he is. I did think that when he got to selective school he would be more in the middle academically, but that's not the case at all.
Never considered him gifted - not even sure I like the word but now I feel like I'm failing him and not sure what I should be doing, if anything

Apologies for the long ramble. Help anyone please?

Mistigri Mon 18-Jan-16 18:11:44

What activities does he do outside school?

My DD is extremely able. She attended a normal junior high, and is now in a highly selective senior high programme where she is top of her class despite being a year ahead.TBH being in a selective class has made little difference (except that the lessons are quieter and somewhat more productive) - if anything boredom has been more of an issue this year than previously. However she has a lot of outside interests (music, writing, recording - mostly done under her own steam) and this seems to provide the stimulation she needs.

Jw35 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:25:47

That's fantastic.

Outside activities and something else challenging like sports.
Boredom may help creativity!

irvine101 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:50:33

My ds was bored before, but now quite content after finding Khan Academy. Maths, coding, science, history.

Lucsy Mon 18-Jan-16 20:15:55

Physical persuits are not possible for a number of reasons.
Music is something I have tried many times but he just isn't interested.
Coding may work.
I'm going to google khan academy as I've never heard of it.
We do a lot of science and history museums, books historical dramas and documentaries. His knowledge is incredible.

To be honest. I find it all a bit of a curse. I'm loathe to teach him more maths or science as he can already do so much. The problem is that he learns very quickly. So it doesn't matter what I teach him, he masters it fast and then we are back to square one. I haven't found anything that he struggles to understand the concept of. I suspect I'm probably going to hit the limits of what I can teach him very fast anyway.

irvine101 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:47:14

With Khan, you don't need to teach. It has tutorial videos so my ds do it all by himself. It does go beyond high school level, so I'm sure there's a lot more new things for him.

www.khanacademy.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now