Development

(40 Posts)
jellybeans001 Tue 03-Dec-13 13:34:14

Hi just wondering if my daughter is above average and how many of your children were doing it at this age. She's my second child and she's going to be two this month. Basically she can count 1 to 10 and recognise them all, she knows her abcs and knows some phonics as well. She has known this for a while. She knows her colours as well but doesn't recognise them yet. Is she above average?

Acinonyx Tue 03-Dec-13 14:40:51

Definitely above average for 2. I've found development to be very spotty and uneven myself however. My own dd could do the same and I got a bit excited wondering how advanced she would be starting school - but she wasn't really. I remember people stopping to watch her write messages in the snow when she was 3 and that was when it struck me that this was quite unusual. Although she started reading and writing before 3 though it stalled and didn't really take off until she was 6. Now at 8, she tests in the top 1% but I can't say that I am blown away by the startling evidence of this on a daily basis fwink.

So she did turn out to be way above average - but it's been in phases and I'm still not at all clear where it is going or what her primary talent is.

ReallyTired Tue 03-Dec-13 14:44:23

I think your daughter sounds very normal. Academic stuff like abc or counting is not a sign of a more able child. Quality of speech or fine motor skills like drawing are a better indicator how able a child is.

Development is a journey rather than race. Dd could speak in sentences at 16 months, but at four years old her speech is no different to her classmates.

Acinonyx Tue 03-Dec-13 15:15:26

Don't be such a kill joy ReallyTired - it can be a sign of ability. It's hardly 'very normal' for 2 - why insist that it is?

jellybeans001 Tue 03-Dec-13 16:01:57

Thanks. She can hold a pencil and pen properly as well and loves drawing. She doesn't hold the pen properly all the time but she can do it and I have been shocked that she could do it. She talks in three word sentences as well but when it comes to songs can sing abc song very well. Thanks to all that have answered keep them coming smile

NorthernShores Tue 03-Dec-13 16:21:41

It often depends what a child is exposed to. I suspect given the genes both children should do well academically. However child 1 I emphasised counting, sounds, colours etc. No 2 child iam much more relaxed and enjoying the journey more. There's no real point to starting early as a bright child will pick it up very quickly later on.

jellybeans001 Tue 03-Dec-13 16:33:26

I have not started anything with her she learnt this all from my older child that is in reception, reading to them and songs I put on for them both and her playing on the ipad

kitchendiner Tue 03-Dec-13 20:35:38

From my experience, these early signs are definite indicators - my DS was reciting large passages from books before he was two, he couldn't do shape sorters or jigsaws and had no interest in holding a pencil. His verbal IQ is top 1% and he has dyslexia. So yes, the signs were there from a very early age.

richmal Tue 03-Dec-13 22:46:43

Dd could read about 30 to 40 CVC words by 2. This was certainly above average of what most children are taught by that age. I do not know, however, if it above average of what most children could be taught.

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 00:00:44

Thanks a lot for the information. Richmal she knows more then what I have written down in my post she also knows all the basic shapes and knows some colours and can identify some colours as well. As I have two children thought she would have been above average because I have hardly seen any just turned two years olds doing that. Thanks to all of you that have answered me and has really helped me to see that she is above her age group and it has been confirmed by others similarly stories. Thanks

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 00:02:08

She can also identify shapes

iclaudius Wed 04-Dec-13 00:10:31

I'm in the camp that it means very little at this age

richmal Wed 04-Dec-13 07:05:51

Where as I think the more you teach children, the more they will learn and the further ahead their ability will be.

Jellybean, I do think your daughter is above average in what she has learnt.

ReallyTired Wed 04-Dec-13 10:46:52

I agree that jellybeans001 dd is above average in academic knowledge, but other children learn other useful skills at two years old. I believe that intelligence is far more than just the ablity to do academic work. Some children develop other talents at the same age.

Development is so varied in the early years and I believe that indentification of gifted children is impossible at the age of two. Einstein didn't speak until he was three years old!

I believe that high ablity can be cultivated by good parenting.

Floggingmolly Wed 04-Dec-13 10:53:10

All quite normal; not gifted and talented, I'm afraid.

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 13:09:53

Did not say anything about my child being gifted or talented floggingmolly she is only just turned two abit too early to say that I asked if you read what I said whether she was above average or not and people experiences of their children doing it at that age and don't agree that it's normal

Floggingmolly Wed 04-Dec-13 13:13:33

This is the gifted and talented board...

Acinonyx Wed 04-Dec-13 13:29:39

Utter humbug Floggingmolly. There are a lot of posters on this board who are not fans of the g & t label but are more comfortable posting here than looking even more pretentious by posting on the general boards.

jellybean - you will be realising by now that being told everything your child does is utterly average is a rite of passage on here.

ReallyTired Wed 04-Dec-13 13:37:19

I think that jellybean's dd is lovely. She sounds like a happy little girl who is learning about her world. Prehaps the little girl is gifted or prehaps other children will catch up. Only time will tell.

My son had a friend in primary who was very ahead in nursery and was given the "gifted" label at the age of 3. It proved a bit of curse as the boy become lazy and did not work at things that didn't come easily.

Acinonyx Wed 04-Dec-13 13:45:37

Of course that's true ReallyTired. But there is a general attitude here that the op (and other's like her) are misguided and wrong to try to place their child's skills with regard to the average development of a child that age.

That cannot be right. If the child was well below average op might well be advised to seek professional advice and they might suggest useful intervention. It wouldn't just be a case of -' oh - don't concern yourself as they all even out in the end' (even though the child might well catch up in the end - many don't).

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 16:37:54

Thanks reallytired and acinonyx do agree have sensed abit of negativity from some parents on this board. Thanks for that comment on my dd she is really lovely and sweet.

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 16:42:59

First time I'm posting on this board as well smile

Acinonyx Wed 04-Dec-13 17:12:44

Consider yourself initiated fwink

jellybeans001 Wed 04-Dec-13 17:22:24

Thanks acinonyx think I've learnt something new today and that's not to go on about what my child can do as some don't like itsmile even if its a two year old sad sad really

Worriedandlost Wed 04-Dec-13 18:07:53

Jellybeans001, I did not read all the answers but can definitely say your dd is above average, mine was similar at that age, she is at school now and it proved that she is above average. You will probably hear a lot of-let her be a child, blah-blah-blah- my advice will be-help her to develop her talents, bright children are different and they need a lot of mental input to keep them out of trouble smile. They are hard but rewarding job! Good luck to both of you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now