Would I be mad to ask them to remove DD from G&T list?

(9 Posts)
numbum Wed 25-Sep-13 21:49:14

I was told last week that DD (y2) is on the school G&T list for maths and literacy. The literacy I agree
with but I disagree with the maths.

I would normally leave it but this year they've decided finally to pull the G&T children out for extra activities.

DS (y4) is amazing at maths (L5 already). DD is nowhere near at the level DS was at this age and actually panics when she has too many numbers thrown at her.

Literacy wise I'm more than happy for her to go for
extra lessons but I'm worried the maths will knock her confidence. Her teacher has hinted at the fact that DD is ahead of the rest of the class in maths as well as literacy but I'm just not convinced!

Would you tell them not to give her the extra numeracy or trust their judgement?

MumOfTheMoos Wed 25-Sep-13 21:59:54

I'd go with their advice for the time being and stop if it turns out that your DD is not enjoying it.

After all whilst your DS was further ahead than your DD at this point that doesn't preclude her from being further ahead than her peers.

Smartiepants79 Wed 25-Sep-13 22:02:51

I agree I would go with it until you feel it having a negative impact. She may surprise you and herself.
Just out of curiosity is she going to be doing this extra during her normal literacy and numeracy lessons? Or does it mean she misses out on something else?

PrincessRomy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:05:20

At I school I worked at I was told by one of the teachers that they had to pick an allotted number of pupils from their class to be on the g and t list, I think it was 6 for each subject. I'm wondering if this is correct or if I misheard/got the wrong end of the stick? It doesn't seem to me that you would get a certain amount of gifted children in each class, more like none in most years and then sometimes one would pop up. If this is true then maybe it's just that as one if the top x members of that class your dd is going to get some extra support to reach her potential, does that sound better/more appropriate than calling it g and t?

PrincessRomy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:07:07

Sorry about lack of paragraphs there.

Can repost with them in if needed.

How do schools 'allott' g and t places, is it x number per class, or just those that really stand out?

numbum Wed 25-Sep-13 22:23:38

No it makes sense princessromy and I think school have done what you have said. DD is obviously one of the top however many in a not very high ability class. I guess I will leave them to it for now and make sure DD is happy and not losing confidence. Do you think I should warn them about her panic about too many numbers?? It is during literacy/numeracy lessons.

PiqueABoo Wed 25-Sep-13 23:26:18

PrincessRomy: "How do schools 'allott' g and t places"
--

There is no consistency between schools. DD's primary clearly tried to appease the maximum number of demanding parents and you don't have to be on it for say maths, to do 'additional maths' in place of some of the class Numeracy lessons.

wearingatinhat Wed 25-Sep-13 23:59:24

Well, I have to say, I would bite their hands off! Like your DD, DS is nothing special in maths, but does much better than average. He also goes into a panic from time to time. He is however, quite gifted in literacy.

I do think though, that it does lead to confidence problems if you are a lot stronger verbally than numerically, or vice versa, and it is therefore worth trying to strengthen the weaker (relatively weaker) area.

chauffeurmummy Thu 26-Sep-13 21:11:30

The G&T lists in schools were originally set up as being the top 10% in each cohort. So in a school with a lot of children leaving/starting then someone could be on and off the list like a yo-yo.....which is why a lot of school were/are very quiet about who was on the list. Obviously schools interpret things slightly differently and as the register is no longer in existence schools are pretty much free to select however they like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now