moved up a year in primary school

(8 Posts)
Cbmummy23 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:18:13

hi to all My 8 year old son was moved from year 3 to year 4 in primary school school and goes up to year five in September. Does anyone know what will happen,or what my options are as a mother, when he gets to year as six? As I do not want him to have to repeat year six.

steppemum Tue 02-Jul-13 23:21:25

it is entirely at the discretion of the secondary school and the LEA. They are more likely to support it if the secondary school is the same LEA and not an academy etc.

bico Tue 02-Jul-13 23:23:17

Have you asked the school? They should have consulted you on what the available options were. Was it not possible to keep him in his year and provide additional work? From what I understand it is virtually impossible to move to a state secondary school out of year group so he may end up having to repeat year 6. I think the options may be different in the private sector but again I wouldn't want a child to move up a year early to secondary unless he was emotionally mature enough to integrate with his older classmates.

Start talking to potential secondary schools now. Also, think about what you want - is he emotionally mature enough to move up early?

My DS is in the same situation but a year later and in independent school. Although academically more than able to cope and physically a perfect fit in the year above, he would not be emotionally ready for puberty + new school at 12 when everyone else is 13, so he will do Y8 in current school twice, and I will make damned sure that school deal with it.

steppemum Tue 02-Jul-13 23:34:30

both my brothers were moved up, one by 1 year and one by 2 years.
it was really not good socially for them as teenagers.
I would think very hard about it at secondary level

Similar experience with my contemporaries, Steppemum. I only wasn't because my parents vetoed it. Boys in particular were moved up 2 years and then berated for being immature hmm angry

It can work in primary, OP, but needs a lot more thought in secondary.

steppemum Wed 03-Jul-13 14:46:29

one of my brothers was 13 in a class of 15 year olds. When some of them were sexually active, he saw no reason why he shouldn't be too (my parents didn't know)

Not what I would want for my ds really

Cbmummy23 Fri 05-Jul-13 12:32:22

Thank you all for your advice and experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now