Mazes and maps - what next?

(17 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Thu 16-May-13 15:02:58

Thanks - some interesting ideas I will explore

UniS Wed 15-May-13 21:39:09

Rush hour is a good game.
Has he tried a maze ball?

lim1bd Wed 15-May-13 21:36:12

Print free mazes off the internet? Playing about with Junior Meccano/lego? My DS went through a mad-crazy jigsaw phase at about 3/4 which ended with 150 piece jigsaws giving me 2 hours rest every afternoon (highly recommended!).
There's a game called Rush Hour where you have to move cars about to get a little red car out (hard to explain, but a harder version of those annoying sliding tile games which make a picture).
Usbourne have a series of books called Puzzle Something (school, castle etc.). There's a story and each page has a puzzle and where's wally-esque things to find.
On the citv website there used to be a hamster tunnel maze type game with an around the world theme. Can't remember exactly, but DS was very into it for a while during his preschool year.

WarmAndFuzzy Wed 15-May-13 20:10:11

Another app that my kids love is Wake The Cat - it's a kids game but teaches them the very first basics of Physics. I would definitely second Where's Wally books too!

Llareggub Tue 14-May-13 21:51:09

My 3 year old loves playing with Numicon and will play with it for hours. They use it in Nursery and reception I think and my 6 year old loves playing schools with it. I have learned a lot about how maths is taught at school, but mainly they just enjoy it.

sittinginthesun Tue 14-May-13 21:47:13

He sounds like my ds2 (now aged 6(.

He loves mazes, marble runs, word searches, suduko.

Also, Where's Wally books, and all the spin off books. He has found a whole section in the library with Sword Quest etc.

He's now really mad about the Beano. Also does his older brother's non verbal reasoning tests.

And, I have just discovered that his way of mental processing is great for reading music. He picked up his brother's piano book a few weeks ago, and taught himself the entire book in less than a week. I spoke to the piano teacher who agreed to try him out, even though he's only year 1, and 4 lessons later, he's half way through book 2.

chillikate Mon 13-May-13 13:40:21

Marble run??

iseenodust Mon 13-May-13 10:34:26

Picture Suduko for children. We had sticker books for mickey mouse & scooby doo and then a game of farmhouse animals suduko.

HarveyPotter Sun 12-May-13 23:14:13

Jenga?

MortifiedAdams Sun 12-May-13 09:49:00

Domino Rally?

Or playing the memory game (turning two cards over at a time and matching them) with picture cards.

You can get books of picture puzzles, like very early non-verbal reasoning, but there might be reading involved in the instructions for each question.

Usually when people ask for suggestions in this section of the forum, I think back to what we did with DS2. However, he had taught himself to read by that age (unavoidable as his older brother was in Reception and learning phonics) so we didn't have the restriction of avoiding letters.

DS2 is now 11 and still enjoys making mazes from Lego and creating elaborate marble runs. smile He also likes the computer game Antichamber (based on non-Euclidian geometry) and solving virtual Rubik's cubes in more than 3 dimensions.

Could you start some simple chess? Maybe start with some pawns and then introduce games with one other type of piece too?

Draughts is another good strategy game that doesn't require reading.

Elizabeth22 Sun 12-May-13 08:19:38

Mortified - he does recognise his numbers even though I haven't actively shown him - I guess nursery have. My thinking was I don't want him to get to school and be bored. I don't like the idea of hot housing small kids. But I know what you mean there must be games and activities that are fun that do naturally include numbers - I just don't have any ideas.

I quite like the idea of activities which absorb him in the same way mazes do. However, I've also built Lego mazes with him and run a marble though - he really loved that. We've also gone through OS maps too. I've just run out of ideas now.

The app sounds good. I will certainly check it out - thanks!smile

I need to get to the library too smile

worried90 Sat 11-May-13 15:36:36

This might be a stupid answer (I have no dc) so bear with me grin
But on the iPad/iPhone there's a game called Take it Easy and you basically have to match up tubes to form a maze of different colours? Lots of different levels

MortifiedAdams Sat 11-May-13 15:34:03

Dont see why you should avoid numbers and letters? It wouldnt harm.him to recognise numbers at least before school, if not letters too.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 15:32:35

public library is your friend.

Elizabeth22 Fri 10-May-13 15:28:25

My DS loves maps and also doing mazes. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of activities or interests that he might enjoy next or linked to this.

He's not G&T, bright maybe, but I thought people on here might have some good ideas.

I don't want to show him letters or numbers as I think that's what school is for.

He is nearly three and just devoured a 60 page book of mazes aimed at 4 to 6 years to give you an idea of level. I was going to pace it but he did it in one sitting. I can't really afford to keep buying them if he goes through it so quickly!

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now