Documentaries for young children

(15 Posts)
Pearlington Sat 15-Jun-13 22:36:30

You can identify g&t that early. My DD was identified by a SEN and another two teachers at her school who are skilled at assessing kids. She was put on a course of year 2 extension work to help challenge her and keep her motivated, so I don't think we should be dismissing what this parent has been told! At three she should certainly be able to watch regular adult nature documentaries.

triballeader Fri 31-May-13 12:40:37

I guess it depends on her areas of interest. Play back options allow a curious child access to more indepth documentries at a sensible hour provided you have screen them for age approbraite content first. winces at the memory of having to explain why penicillan was of interest to the army to treat something called VD during his find anything anywhere on microbes phase at 5

The horrible history and matching horrible science, geography and similar resources have always made Ben smile.

mollysmum82 Mon 27-May-13 11:40:44

Wow thanks ever so much everyone. I bought that map youmaycallmeSSP and I've started recording octonauts and andy's wild adventures for when baby DS is being put down for his nap!

BlackSwan Mon 25-Feb-13 21:29:50

If you're looking for something animated - Oscar and the Frog is a book/dvd about how different animals grow. Explains frog life cycle... there are other books in the series, but only this one has a DVD. The books are lovely and explain science very simply.

SavoirFaire Fri 22-Feb-13 21:04:55

G&T at three is a bit bonkers in my opinion, but I'm sure the HV was trying to be helpful and that is not to say at all that your DD isn't bright, inquisitive and - like most children - I'm sure she'd benefit from some books that stretch her interests. DS has always been obsessed with animal facts, and has an amazing memory for detail which means that people always say he's very clever. I'm less sure about this - I just think he's at an age where his memory is like a spone and we will have to see what that means in the long term. Anyway, he has adored every David Attenborough -type programme he's been able to watch, since he was 2. I haven't shied away from letting him watch animals being beastly to each other - it's life and he might as well see it (although I felt a little guilty when he started asking me about the frozen baby penguin on the spy in huddle programme earlier this week! There are some Attenborough dinosaur programmes too. Also, Usborne do some wonderful books that my DS read with me from 3.The 'Beginners' series are very good, as are the 'See Inside' series. Ladybird 'Mad About' series also very good. All of these do a nice mix of interesting, detailed pictures which will engage a non/early reader and real facts, which you as a parent probably won't know and which will interest the DC. My DS was gobsmacked about the sizes of whales and dinosaurs for example (the Mad About books give comparisons with number of buses, or height of a house etc). I'm a massive fan of Usborne search books as well - really good for concentration and looking at detail, but might not be your DDs thing.

DeWe Fri 22-Feb-13 20:53:38

Ds started watching History Channel documentaries from about that age. They're ideal for small children, repeats everything a few times in an excited tone of voice with big illustrations.
Blue/Frozen planet DVDs type have gone down well with all of my dc from about age 3.

DS (6) got the Blue Planet DVDs for Christmas and he and his younger sister love them. They also enjoy Octonauts & Andys Wild Adventures and are constantly surprising me with 'did you know' about various animals.

RedHelenB Thu 21-Feb-13 19:16:40

My ds learned loads about the sea through watching octonauts when he was 3/4 & has retained all that information at age 6.

RedHelenB Thu 21-Feb-13 19:16:27

My ds learned loads about the sea through watching octonauts when he was 3/4 & has retained all that information at age 6.

iseenodust Tue 19-Feb-13 10:22:06

Deadly 60 on CBBC and you get to drool over Steve.

AmericanExpress Fri 15-Feb-13 21:37:24

That is a wonderful map, youmaycallmeSSP. I might have to Add to Basket. smile

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 15-Feb-13 21:35:25

It's not a DVD but DS has this map on his bedroom wall and I really recommend it. It has sparked lots of discussions and he loves to find his favourite animals. We bought him this encyclopaedia to go with it; another big hit.

Regardless of who said what, if you think of your child as G&T and that helps you to enhance their learning opportunities, it can only be a good thing.

Hoaz Fri 15-Feb-13 18:35:57

IMO almost any BBC nature programme is suitable for young children today - they seem to treat us all like children. My DCs enjoyed things like Life on Earth and Coast from around your DC's age.

They're not gifted or talented though.

piprabbit Fri 15-Feb-13 18:20:34

I didn't think HVs were trained to identify gifted and talented children so I'd may be take what she says with a pinch of salt - children all develop at such different rates.

My 4yo has just really enjoyed watching BBCs Penguin programme (Spy in the huddle?) and the Africa series. He really likes some of the excellent animal programmes on CBBC too. CBeebies have some good stuff as well - like Andy's Wild Adventures.

mollysmum82 Fri 15-Feb-13 09:59:38

We've been told dd is gifted and talented by the health visitor but I'm not sure if its too early to tell?

Anyway regardless, like any parent I'd like to encourage any interests she has and at the moment it's nature. She wants to know every single fact about everything to do with animals in particular. I've bought her some nature books which she loves but I thought it might be nice to watch some short documentaries together. Are there any programmes anyone can recommend or any sets of DVDs? She is 3. Thanks so much for any help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now