Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sorting out varicose veins

(22 Posts)
themanwhocantbemoved Fri 25-Jun-10 13:34:08

Wonder if anyone can offer any thoughts.

I have 2 DC, and in my first pregnancy had one awful swollen leg (was bad, saw consultant about it, ended up all OK and enver knew why only one and why was quite so bad) - the result was one very large and bumpy varicose vein from about midway down my shin all the way onto halfway up my foot (horrid). With second preg I didnt have any swelling at all, vein stayed as bad, but no others popped up. Had DC2 18 months ago. Have sen the GP twice about it who has said NHS dont treat unless causing major problems - which aparpt from the obv psychological ones, it isnt.

So about a year or 18 months ago I resigned myself to the fact I would just never wear anything but long trousers in the summer, and I have actually worn dresses/skirts in the winter - but with thick-ish support style tights, but would enver ever wear skirts or shorts in summer. Dont feel I am a partic vain (no pun intended) and thought would just have to accept that.

Bu then last week was talking to a friend about whether she would ever have cosmetic surgery and I mentioned this (havtn really told anyone about it as so grossed out by it) and ended up getting very upset, which has triggered me obssessing about maybe getting them sorted privately, esp with the heat of the last week or so.

So this morning I have been looking into it. We have private health insurance from DH work - spoke to them who said would only pay for it if there was a medical need. Spoke to a locla private hospital, and for the laser treatment it would be about £2,500. A huge amount of money. We could afford it, in that we have that in long-term savings (and not masses more than that - but we do add to it so it would build up again over time). But I am right now trying to figure out whether it is worth it?

Has anyone paid for it to be done privately? do you feel it was worth it? has anyone managed to get it covered by their insurance in any way? and finally, I dont know whether we might have another DC - and though lots of thing say 'wait until you have finished your family' I sort of feel at breaking point with it. (which is silly as a couple of weeks ago I was still in denial and determined to live iwht it for the next 50/60 years!). When I asked the hospital about it, they said that there was no need to wait as this one problematic vien would basically be treated and closed off so no risk that it would flare up again (ie lasrer is as good as removing) . I guess others may pop up, but that didnt happen second time round, and it does just feel I ahve this one problmatic one (that in fact that had always shown warning signs! even in my ealry twneties i remember there was a very small - maybe 1cm - stretch that was a little bit bumpy.)

This is a very long and boring post - sorry. but if anyone did have any thoughts or experience or advice I would really appreciate hearing it.

Thanks

themanwhocantbemoved Fri 25-Jun-10 19:35:59

bumping my boring post just in case?!

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Jun-10 20:50:40

My mum and sister both had the full removal op and both regret it 'cos the other veins have to take the blood and they are always in low key pain.

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Jun-10 20:54:59

So I didn't have the op. I put my feet up vertically for 10mins before putting on support tights (you can get glam ones from M&S) and eat buckwheat a lot plus witchhazelon the veins. So not ideal but what is?

Lilymaid Sat 26-Jun-10 21:07:37

I have a very lumpy ankle with ugly blue veins resulting from an accident whilst pregnant where my ankle was twisted. As it doesn't hurt me I would never get treatment on the NHS so have had to live with it - which I've managed even though my ankles no longer match and one calf is thicker than the other. I would tend to say that if it doesn't hurt and there is no medical reason for treatment that you should live with it. I wonder if one can hide it cosmetically?

Limpopo Sat 26-Jun-10 21:41:26

My mum had an operation to remove her varicose veins on the NHS but this was in the 80s when they did this sort of thing.

Her legs were ok for a few years but then they came back in other veins and became worse than ever. Remember that when they close off the affected veins other veins then have to take over their work - and these veins may eventually become varicose too.

I think this is the reason they don't do it on the NHS for cosmetic reasons any more - because it basically doesn't work long term and would therefore require repeated operations.

themanwhocantbemoved Sun 27-Jun-10 19:39:44

Hmm, thank you very much ladies, lots of food for thought...would be completely gutted to spend that sort of money only to have them reappear elsewhere and still be in the same situation not being able to wear skirts etc.

joskins Sun 27-Jun-10 21:36:17

I had laser treatment privately last year on both legs. It was much more serious procedure than I had anticipated. Had a general anesthetic and as well as lasering large veins in both thighs, the surgeon made over 30 tiny incisions and pulled sections of vein out with a "crochet hook". Had thick bandaging for 1 week and when that came off the pain was really bad for about 2 weeks. Also very extensive bruising which took a long time to fade. Also it was more expensive than I thought as I got an unexpected bill from anesthetist which they forgot to mention wasn't included.
Still feel self conscious baring legs though due to broken veins and bulging foot veins!
Not meaning to put you off - on balance I guess I am glad I had it done.

MaamRuby Sun 27-Jun-10 21:43:45

My parents both had bad varicose veins which did not respond well to ops. I have one dreadful one which makes one leg bigger than the other but I honestly don't think op would be worth it.

Often related to hypermobile joints too btw. Don't know if that makes op less likely to be successful long term.

Bummer isn't it?

I fake tan and brazen it out.
I don't think other people notice or care

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 27-Jun-10 21:49:11

this is going to sound rather odd but I've had some very noticeable and occasionally uncomfortable veins for about 10 years. Yesterday I noticed that they are gone hmm and grin the only thing different I've been doing is cycling a fair bit over the past few weeks.

BeehiveBaby Sun 27-Jun-10 21:57:33

I had painful, swollen varicose veins treated on the NHS. My GP was quite concerned that the skin over the veins would suffer over the next 20/30 years, in terms of untreatable ulceration!? Op was fine (traditional bilateral stripping and litergation (sp?)) but not much of a cosmetic improvement at all. I have wormy, raised pink scars and still have the navy and red thread veins covering large areas but I am a lot more comfortable.

Rolf Sun 27-Jun-10 21:59:11

I had varicose veins removed about 13 years ago, pre-children. I saw my GP about it, more to get advice about how to manage them and prevent them getting worse, and was referred to a consultant who recommended removing them. I got new ones over the next 13 years and went to the GP as one area of them was always very itchy and uncomfortable. I had them removed a few months ago.

The op was ok, but although the most obvious veins have gone, the one that was actually causing me the most discomfort is still itchy. And he removed a little bulgy bit on my ankle, only for another bulgy bit to appear just above the scar. So I'm not hugely thrilled with it. The surgeon said that I'd probably need to have surgery again in 10 years, but unless they cause me a lot more trouble, I don't think I'll bother.

I know other people who have been thrilled with their results, though.

ppeatfruit Mon 28-Jun-10 12:33:20

Rolf you won't have any veins left!grin

Rolf Mon 28-Jun-10 20:50:52

grin

Lenka53 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:43:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

johnturner344 Sun 28-Feb-16 16:25:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gloriamatt Sat 01-Oct-16 20:56:27

Venorid is the only cream to cure the spider vein and varicose vein. I searched lot of reviews online and finally select the venorid. Excellent in result. sounds good! starstarstarstarstar

BossWitch Sat 01-Oct-16 21:17:49

I had mine done on the NHS a few years ago- probably 6 years ago ish? I had already had one leg done privately (full surgical strip under general anaesthetic) when I was 18 on my dad's company medical insurance, the other came up a couple of years later and I was no longer covered.

I was a bit grumpy about it for a couple of years, went to the gp and was honest that it ached and was uncomfortable, and was there anything that they could do. GP told me that what I'd actually said to him was that I was in daily pain, it was impacting on my life, I'd tried compression stockings and they'd done nothing. I nodded solemnly and he referred my immediately!

Got onto a trial running at local hospital, randomly allocated either laser, gluey-foam, or something else I've forgotten. I ended up with laser, which was dead easy, small incision at knee I think, insert laser up to groin, fire laser and pull down, pushing on the leg to stick the vein together.

Went back for a check a few months later, and there were some bits that hadn't stuck, so they injected some of the gluey foam in those bits, pressed down, ta dah! All sorted.

Basically, the procedure worked wonders for me, try the sob story on your doctor?!

user1476520835 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:20:20

Well i am using Dermalmd Varicose Vein Treatment Serum about 3 weeks ago. On some of my smaller veins I saw some minimizing. On the larger clusters of visible veins I definitely saw a difference. The clusters are not visible. I am going to order this again.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 15-Oct-16 17:23:58

I'm in the same boat and am resigned to it for the next 10 years at least. Won't get treatment on the NHS and can't afford private. Is a bit shit but I mostly accept it.

user1480140574 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:10:02

My spider veins turned to green after sometime. I consulted the Dr he said like to take treatement 3 months but it didn't workout to me. My veins spread over the leg to feet. I got venorid medecine and applied for 4 weeks. After that I could see the visible changes pn my legs. Osam osm..

Malermalergoni Mon 28-Nov-16 12:26:28

I had both legs done, (laser) At a really reputable, highly rated private clinic. As a previous poster suggested, it's a far more serious 'event' than they make out. The bruising was extensive and lasts months. The laser treatment usually has to be followed by foam sclerotherapy injections, which are 250 ish a pop. The effects of mine lasted a year, but then returned in another vein, worse than before. I also have disfiguring water retention when I travel now (planes, hot weather). I don't regret having it done, and I'll have it done again (for another 2000quid), because you do have wonderful legs for at least a short time! Its simply not the quick painless operation it's often marketed as. I also had dreadful aftercare. Private vascular surgeons seem to operate out of several different clinics, up and down the country, and they have long waiting lists. Trying to get a follow up appointment is a nightmare if they're in your city one day a week, and every ultrasound to check the condition of the veins costs upwards of £200.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now