Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contact lenses - anyone wear them over 40?

(36 Posts)
EscapetothePorch Sun 20-Jun-10 09:50:03

...Because, I haven't worn them for a while and am considering getting some new ones. Am seriously short-sighted but now also do that, having-to-take-peer-over-my-glasses-or-hold-things-at-arms-length-to-read-the-small-print thang. I remember reading somewhere that the solution they come up with is to put a near-sighted lens in one eye and a long-sighted lens in the other. I can't imagine what this is like. Does anyone else have any experience/advice?

Footle Thu 11-Apr-13 22:12:55

Different prescription for each eye = monovision. For me it's no longer working as well as it has done for years, but it's still OK.

Orangerevel Thu 11-Apr-13 21:26:17

I've different prescriptions in each eye, works brilliantly. I am 48 and been wearing daily contacts for a year. No need for reading glasses. Took a while for optician to get it right.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 04-Apr-13 17:53:12

my mum has different ones in each eye so that she doesn't also have to have reading glasses.

She had contact lenses for short sight for years (at least 20+) and when her nar sight started to go they switched her lenses to the "different one for each eye" (not bifocal).

She is 66 and has had these ones for at least 5 years and says they are brilliant.

Footle Thu 04-Apr-13 17:48:13

I'm 65 and wear monovision gas permeables, have done for many years. I need prescription specs over them for driving and for reading, but it's still worth it not to need specs all the time.

sashh Thu 04-Apr-13 06:00:14

I only wear them occasionally and carry some £1 shop reading glasses around.

I have tried bifocals. Yes you can now get bifocal lenses.

I have a good friend in her 40s who wears two different lenses (mono vision) and it works very well for her.

A while ago I tore one of my last lenses and couldn't find my backup glasses. I had to wait for my prescription to arrive which took almost two weeks. During that time I wore my one lense in my dominant eye. I was shocked to discover that after three days I barely noticed it anymore. My brain had almost completely compensated for the non-corrected eye and unless I was actually thinking about it I saw no blurriness. Both eyes are -7, although right is marginally better.

Try mono vision, you might be amazed.

Theas18 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:49:54

Tried multifocal lenses. Too dry by a looong way.

Tried the mono ocular thing, but the having to close one eye at the theatre and halos round lights when night driving was really not good so went back to my usual lenses and use pound shop reading glasses at the moment. Just starting having odd pronghorns with the pc though-not reading or distance iyswim!

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 00:30:16

just watching

I've used disposables, am very short-sighted with astigmatism, couldn't cope when working in an office (too difficult to read) but really good outdoors especially in the rain.

I've met a few overseas consultants on assignments to Moorfields, and noticed they all wear specs. No contacts or lasers for them

MrsShrek3 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:24:10

I have worn contact lenses for 25yrs and have no plans to stop grin Today I discovered that my dominant eye has become more dominant and my other eye slightly less short sighted.... so feel like one eye doesn't work properly confused My short sight is still very good either with or without lenses or glasses, and distamnce is pretty much as crap as it's always been. I'm 42btw. Interesting posts here though, thanks for all the info!

optometrist1 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:11:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

optometrist1 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:57:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

eltham Tue 24-Aug-10 17:55:20

I've been wearing cls for over 20 years and am shortsighted (-7.5). About six months ago, I noticed it getting harder to see books at close range. Optician tried going down .5 in left eye but my mind couldn't seem to accommodate this. I found this interesting as there's people with different prescriptions in different eyes but phaps it was cause I'd been used to same prescription in both for so long. Now I'm back to original and just have to work harder to see close up. I'm 46 btw

tb Mon 23-Aug-10 16:24:29

Over 50 with soft extended-wear lenses, +4.25/+1.5 ie mono-vision lenses. The only problem I ever had was the first time I tried to run while wearing them - I nearly fell flat on my face 'cos 1 second the pavement looked in the normal place and the next it was in my face.

Apparently they are better then the dual focus ones as the distance/reading zones interfere with each other.

I am 51 and have worn hard gas permeable lenses since I was 18- I also use reading glasses for close up work/reading,though my near sight without contacts is perfect. They have been great I have to say, I rest my eyes and wear specs for 1 maybe 2 days a week and have been advised to take trhem out early some evenings as my eyes are a bit dry from taking tamoxifen. Would hate to be without them !

chipmonkey Wed 23-Jun-10 00:30:40

After a while, that will settle down, MrsJD. And GP multifocals are the best of all. More often that not, my GP multi wearers sit in the chair, say "Oh yes, I can read the bottom line, and yes, indeed I can read the tiny print, can I go now as I am double-parked" and run out the door while I am still trying to put the fluorescein in. Bliss!

TheNextMrsDepp Tue 22-Jun-10 23:21:59

I'm one of the old-school types still using Gas Permeables. I'm 43 and have worn them since I was 15. After years and years of un-changing prescriptions I have started to go a little more long-sighted. Obviously if you go for monthly disposables this in't a problem, but I keep having to change my GPs and they're £100 a pair!!

chipmonkey Tue 22-Jun-10 23:18:18

Actually, Vicar, I am currently having a lot of success with Air Optix multifocals, having practically given up on all the others! I am actually finding the majority of patients who try them DO get on with them.shock

Escape, the best thing to do is book a consultation to find out what is available to you but being over 40 is not a contraindication at all.

ByTheSea Tue 22-Jun-10 22:28:53

I'm 46 and wear daily disposables which correct my short-sightedness but not my astigmatism. I struggle to switch between looking at things like the telly and a newspaper in my lenses, but am putting off the inevitable reading glasses as long as possible. When I have my glasses on, I need to remove them to read. Computer work is best with my contacts, telly is best with my glasses, and close reading is now best with nothing, although my contact lenses do the job for just daily living, driving etc.

MrsDinky Tue 22-Jun-10 22:18:30

Any reputable optician should let you have a trial run. I have mine slightly under corrected in the right eye to stave off this problem and it is fine, I can see the difference slightly when I am looking far away, but it is not a problem at all. I have used Dollond and Aitchison for years and always found the service and the lenses to be excellent.

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 22-Jun-10 22:01:08

I'm almost 50 and wear daily disposable soft lenses. Both eyes are -10.5, but I wear -9.5 in left eye to help with reading and it works. If I have to do alot of night driving I might wear -10.5 in both eyes as it is easier. I used to use reading glasses but this is much more convenient. Also I was told if I have a lens implant to correct my sight permanently it would be best to do it adjusted for reading so I needed to make sure I was comfortable with that. However I have not ahd the courage to go for it.

I'm almost 51, and am still wearing soft, monthly disposable lenses.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't noticed any changes in my vision, but so far, it's OK. I don't have to do the holding things about three feet away from my face to read them!

Biggest difference for me is being able (or not being able) to read small print in poor light.

mintyneb Tue 22-Jun-10 20:41:47

escape, I am short sighted but am starting to struggle to read some things close up so when I last saw my optician he suggested reducing the prescription in one eye (the one that was less short sighted) by just .25

It made a marginal difference to close up reading but to be honest I noticed the reduction in long distance vision to be more of a pain so i will be going back to my usual prescription and accept that I will have to get myself some reading glasses at some point. can't say I'm looking forward to it but I guess its yet another sign of aging we cant avoid!

watercress Tue 22-Jun-10 15:08:54

Mankymummymoo, I wear soft lenses and my prescription is far worse than yours (minus 16 in lenses, minus 18 in glasses). You can get softs as long as you don't have astigmatism, otherwise it's pricey torics you need.

I'd go with distance contact lenses and readers over the top - you won't be popping them on and off all the time IMO.

EscapetothePorch Tue 22-Jun-10 15:01:15

Thanks for your replies. I too cannot see how the different lens in each eye works but it obviously does for some people. I keep thinking that you would end up with one eye bulging Marty Feldman-style whilst the other sinks into its socket - attractive! Bifocal lenses too sound bizarre. The idea of having normal short-sight-correcting lenses and then reading glasses seems problematic - wouldn't I be popping them on and off constantly - I'd need one of those old-lady chains around my neck - I'm dooooomed!

Yes, I should go to an optician but it's been useful hearing other people's experiences and thoughts. I hope the optician allows a trialling of lenses before committing to buy because I sense that I need to explore a few options before making a big financial commitment.

bindweed Sun 20-Jun-10 22:36:25

I am over 45 and have the monovision contact lenses. I've had them for a couple of years and it has worked pretty well, though my optician says it won't work so well if my reading prescription worsens. Apparently it works for some people and not others, so I was one of the lucky ones.

Before that I had cheap reading glasses over the distance contact lenses and that worked OK too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now