Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contact lenses - anyone wear them over 40?

(36 Posts)
EscapetothePorch Sun 20-Jun-10 09:50:03

...Because, I haven't worn them for a while and am considering getting some new ones. Am seriously short-sighted but now also do that, having-to-take-peer-over-my-glasses-or-hold-things-at-arms-length-to-read-the-small-print thang. I remember reading somewhere that the solution they come up with is to put a near-sighted lens in one eye and a long-sighted lens in the other. I can't imagine what this is like. Does anyone else have any experience/advice?

optometrist1 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:57:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

optometrist1 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:11:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrsShrek3 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:24:10

I have worn contact lenses for 25yrs and have no plans to stop grin Today I discovered that my dominant eye has become more dominant and my other eye slightly less short sighted.... so feel like one eye doesn't work properly confused My short sight is still very good either with or without lenses or glasses, and distamnce is pretty much as crap as it's always been. I'm 42btw. Interesting posts here though, thanks for all the info!

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 00:30:16

just watching

I've used disposables, am very short-sighted with astigmatism, couldn't cope when working in an office (too difficult to read) but really good outdoors especially in the rain.

I've met a few overseas consultants on assignments to Moorfields, and noticed they all wear specs. No contacts or lasers for them

Theas18 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:49:54

Tried multifocal lenses. Too dry by a looong way.

Tried the mono ocular thing, but the having to close one eye at the theatre and halos round lights when night driving was really not good so went back to my usual lenses and use pound shop reading glasses at the moment. Just starting having odd pronghorns with the pc though-not reading or distance iyswim!

I have a good friend in her 40s who wears two different lenses (mono vision) and it works very well for her.

A while ago I tore one of my last lenses and couldn't find my backup glasses. I had to wait for my prescription to arrive which took almost two weeks. During that time I wore my one lense in my dominant eye. I was shocked to discover that after three days I barely noticed it anymore. My brain had almost completely compensated for the non-corrected eye and unless I was actually thinking about it I saw no blurriness. Both eyes are -7, although right is marginally better.

Try mono vision, you might be amazed.

sashh Thu 04-Apr-13 06:00:14

I only wear them occasionally and carry some £1 shop reading glasses around.

I have tried bifocals. Yes you can now get bifocal lenses.

Footle Thu 04-Apr-13 17:48:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 04-Apr-13 17:53:12

my mum has different ones in each eye so that she doesn't also have to have reading glasses.

She had contact lenses for short sight for years (at least 20+) and when her nar sight started to go they switched her lenses to the "different one for each eye" (not bifocal).

She is 66 and has had these ones for at least 5 years and says they are brilliant.

Orangerevel Thu 11-Apr-13 21:26:17

I've different prescriptions in each eye, works brilliantly. I am 48 and been wearing daily contacts for a year. No need for reading glasses. Took a while for optician to get it right.

Footle Thu 11-Apr-13 22:12:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now