Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is thtere a gourmet alternative to Picolax and Klean-Prep please please please?

(24 Posts)
jodiPicolax Sun 30-May-10 14:17:23

I have a colonoscopy coming up sad and last time the Picolax revolted me so much that I brought it up; this time they have sent me Klean-Prep.

I would be happy to pay whatever it takes to get my hands on a more palatable laxative. Any ideas what the posh people take when they have to clear out their plumbing? wink

belgo Sun 30-May-10 14:21:14

I think you can just drink lots and lots of water , and not have any laxative, the weight of the water itself acts as the laxative? Don't quote me on that. Ask the nurses in the endoscopy department.

I don't envy you though!

belgo Sun 30-May-10 14:26:10

apparently Klean prep tastes of vanilla and it helps to have it dissolved in really cold water.

fruitymum Sun 30-May-10 14:31:02

Try the Klean Prep because the alternative may be a bowel wash out so they can get your bowel clear for the scope. Lots of water - good luck,

CMOTdibbler Sun 30-May-10 15:14:35

The posh people take picolax like the rest of us - unfortunatly, there is no other way of getting a really clean bowel. You can add some squash/cordial of your choice to make it more palatable though

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 30-May-10 15:18:12

You can mix it with cordial, blackcurrent helps.

Stay close to the toilet and rub some vaseline on your behind though.

jodiPicolax Sun 30-May-10 16:38:48

Thanks for all that advice. I am dreading it. I'll try the really cold water idea, and the cordial. Maybe I should just sip it continuously this time - I think I'd tried to "get it down" too fast before.

It's not till the end of June, so I have a month to dread it!

Do you think it would help to fast beforehand? I am fairly used to fasting/semi-fasting for short periods.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 30-May-10 16:53:49

Don't fast, you'll be on the floor. You have to have a restricted diet anyway though IIRC.

jodiPicolax Sun 30-May-10 17:08:28

Yeah, no fibre. Am so not looking forward to it.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 30-May-10 17:20:11

Once it's done then that's it though. If it helps to find out what's causing your problems then it's worth it.

belgo Sun 30-May-10 18:48:53

you can ask the doctor if you can take an anti sickness tablet

mole1 Sun 30-May-10 18:57:50

Sorry, but I found Klean-Prep gross. It tasted better to me mixed with tonic water, and I just couldn't drink it as fast as it said on the packet. It still worked perfectly well even though I didn't quite drink it all. Sympathy to you.

Macforme Sun 30-May-10 22:09:23

I had a drop of red wine with mine.....
(well it is a clear fluid..almost!)

There really isn't an alternative to either picolax or Klean Prep.. hope it goes ok for you.

If you haven't read this before..and need a smile.. Dave Barrys account of his clean out is brilliant....

<Dave Barry's colonoscopy journal:>

<I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to goall over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then
Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear
anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep', which comes in a box large enough to hold
a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America's
enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.
Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, and then you fill it with lukewarm
water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour,
because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel
movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the
MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much
confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink
another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried
about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you
apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already
lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I
pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the
17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side,
and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to
be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for
more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking
'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal
organ >>

jodiPicolax Sun 30-May-10 22:59:03

Thanks, Macforme, I did see that on the MN threads when searching colonoscopy. Thanks for all your support, all. It is routine for me, just my two parents both died of bowel cancer sad, no symptoms as such myself, although of course digestion is always variable.

I would welcome other suggestions about things to add to Klean Prep to make it more palatable. Tonic water sounds good.

The reason I thought fasting - even just for the day before - might work is that there would be little to flush through? So less awful?

The anti sickness pill is a good thought, thanks, Belgo.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 30-May-10 23:16:27

It's not really bad to be honest, just remember to stop drinking it when there's clear fluid being pooped out. Your bum can get really sore from the wiping so do rub some vaseline there as it will help, pat with the tissue don't wipe.

Ask them to sedate you for the procedure though.

These things always seem worse then they are. If you fast then it won't make any difference, you'll just be hungry and feel faint.

jodiPicolax Mon 31-May-10 07:18:36

OK, thanks. I didn't know you could stop drinking it when only clear fluid was being "produced". Are you kidding, I will certainly be sedated for the procedure. grin

Smash09 Mon 31-May-10 10:49:09

Hello Jodi - not much advice other than what's been offered really but wanted to wish you luck! It is NEVER as bad as you imagine it will be and the sedation avoids any memories of the procedure.
Unfortunately the laxatives are designed for function over fancy and they aren't brilliant tasting at all as you know...
I would get the Klean-prep as it is much milder tasting. Also I am quite sure that you could actually do 2 litres of movicol which is equivalent to the KP but in smaller sachets - both contain the active ingredient polyethene glycol and electrolytes. The Movicol has a very mild lemoney taste rather than the TERRIBLE idea of vanilla lol. Why on earth they thought vanilla would be a good flavour for such a drink I don't know. The movicol is MUCH easier to mask, therefor, by adding squash to it. I regularly take it (in smaller quantities!) for management purposes and like to dilute it as instructed then add a dash of whatever squash or cordial I have around. A friend of mine mixes the drink with lemonade/sugarfree pop, which you might also find much more palatable.
Anyway good luck again and hope it's pver soon! x

jodiPicolax Mon 31-May-10 12:15:26

Thanks for this, Smash. I think I might see my GP to talk about using Movicol instead. Although, having googled colonoscopy prep, some people talk about taking a lot of large tablets with tons of water, which I might also ask about - I would certainly prefer it. I imagine docotrs usually prescribe soluble sachets because they don't trust people to drink enough fluid; but I would.

belgo Mon 31-May-10 18:08:00

yes but drinking lots of water can be dangerous so you should only do what the doctor tells you to do.

The goal is clear fluids coming out of the other end.

I can sympathize.

Nutrients1 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:43:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tb Sat 18-Jun-16 21:58:28

I'm having my second in about 6 weeks, and went to see the surgeon a couple of weeks ago. They've changed the procedure. You now have to spend the afternoon between the 2 drinks, taking Movicol. What on earth for I have absolutely no idea.

At least they've stopped the half-pint of laxative shoved up the rear end at 6am on the morning before leaving home. It's a 20 mile journey by motorway, with variable traffic jams, and no toilets on route.

I have already got a large reserve pot of Conotrane to soothe my bottom during the afternoon.

BluePitchFork Sat 18-Jun-16 22:07:18

the fasting is for 2 reasons: to not imjure you in the violent clearout and to not leave any colour behind that could obscure the view.

vikingorigins Sat 18-Jun-16 22:17:23

The OP posted 5 years ago. Don't think she needs to know now.

ZOMBIE

TheSpottedZebra Sat 18-Jun-16 22:20:15

Nah, not zombie, but SPAM zombie. Reported.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now