Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

could it norovirus without the vomiting?

(23 Posts)
coffeeinbed Fri 26-Mar-10 13:33:58

probably purely academical quiestion because I feel horrid anyway, all other symptoms but no vomiting.

Iklboo Fri 26-Mar-10 13:36:19

Last couple of days I had terrible diarrhoea, nausea, stomach cramps, headache & general aches & pains but no vomiting. I wondered if it was abug of some kind

coffeeinbed Fri 26-Mar-10 13:40:13

Sounds like what I have. Some temperature but not too high.
DH had it earlier, so I presumed it was some kind of virus.

Granny23 Fri 26-Mar-10 13:40:29

Half the extended family had D & V last week and the other half had D only. NHS24 and DRs said Norovirus to both types.

Elibean Fri 26-Mar-10 13:40:35

I had diarrhoea and felt exhausted and unwell, dh had a bad headache and slightly upset tummy, dd2 vomited all over the place (and me) once, then had a headache, then was exhausted for 2 days and is still off her food. dd1 is fine, but then she has the constitution of an ox, in spite of being the one on the frontline (ie primary school).

I think there are many unpleasant gastric bugs around, Noro or not!

Elibean Fri 26-Mar-10 13:41:40

No temps with any of ours, btw.

coffeeinbed Fri 26-Mar-10 13:43:10

Lovely!
was supposed to have lots of people for dinner on saturday.
Might want to reconsider now.

Iklboo Fri 26-Mar-10 13:43:57

Yes - I only had a slight temperature raise too

bellissima Fri 26-Mar-10 15:40:11

I had the vomiting/feeling dizzy only for 24 hours. That was last thursday/Friday. Since then I've had diarrhea and basic stomach churning every time I eat something - only today is it slightly better. And yes slightly throbby headaches and twinges too. So yes, I would say that the er, 'howking' (as we Geordies would say) is only a small part of the, er, full experience.

aznerak Fri 26-Mar-10 19:17:55

I have been really poorly all week, with horrendous diarrhoea, stomach cramps, headache and worst of all, the most terrible unbelievably painful aching legs.
I was feeling hot and cold constantly, but no actual fever.
DH had exactly the same thing, without the specifically painful legs, just ached all over, though he got it 24 hours ahead of me.
It lasted 4-5 days and only today have I felt normal again.
Neither of us had vomiting at all, though both felt nauseous from time to time. It was the diarrhoea, cramps and aches that were the worst. And feeling totally shattered all the time.
Glad its a bug doing the rounds, always worry it was something I cooked! DC have both been fine thank goodness (and touch wood!)

SaintGeoff Fri 26-Mar-10 19:23:50

I have noro. Although I vomitted once, it's been diarrhoea, horrendous leg cramps and a churning stomach accompanied by a general malaise/fatigue for me.

DH has vomitted a lot with it, dd only twice. Both still off food 6 days in.

Horrid bloody bug.

brimfull Fri 26-Mar-10 19:26:22

ward i work on is closed because of norovirus atm
loads of patients had diarrhoea only

SoupDragon Fri 26-Mar-10 19:29:19

We can share symptoms - I had the vomiting and nothing else. Lasted less than 12 hours hmm DS2 had the same a few days ago.

SaintGeoff Fri 26-Mar-10 19:34:07

Our local hospital shut down with it. DN had to be admitted with febrile convulsions caused by noro (confirmed noro and diarrhoea only) and db and sil weren't allowed in with her as they were symptomatic.

coffeeinbed Fri 26-Mar-10 19:51:41

I did feel very very nauseous all night but nothing happened. Was feeling better - even did some ironing - but getting very shivery now.
cancelled everything, of course!

coffeeinbed Fri 26-Mar-10 19:53:21

Don't know about the legs, they do feel off, but it could because of the fitness DVD and the running.

Ripeberry Fri 26-Mar-10 20:01:51

Well last Sunday my stomach was tight as a drum and I had really bad wind from both ends.
Just could not sleep all night thought I was going to explode. Then all through the morning I lived on the toilet and once it was all out it was such a relief.
Felt really good rest of the week, UNTIL this afternoon when I felt a bit hungry, had a Mars bar and half an hour later, threw it all back up.
Came on very suddenly and then I just could not stay awake and had a nap for 2hrs.
Now I feel fine. Really strange.

Ripeberry Fri 26-Mar-10 20:03:46

Come to think of it, my legs were a bit crampy this morning. I hate this winter, I've never been so Ill in my life! sad

MrsRigby Fri 26-Mar-10 20:12:26

I had the norovirus a couple of weeks ago and the fact that your able to use the computer/laptop tells me that you've definately not got it.

Trust me, it's the closest thing to dying you can experience. You wouldn't be able to do anything other than lie on your back in pain. You wouldn't be able to eat or drink. Your temprature would be sky high.

On the plus side it only lasts 2 days.

Though that said, it caused me to have a pulmonary embolism 2 weeks later.

I hope for your sake you don't have the norovirus.

Oh and you can catch the norovirus again after 14 days.

Yes, I just had it with no vomiting. One day of flu-like symptoms, nausea and shivering. It really depends on your immune system.

SaintGeoff Fri 26-Mar-10 22:51:15

MrsRigby, it depends on the person how severe and how long you suffer with it. Your description is fairly extreme and inaccurate. We've had tested for and confirmed noro in the family this last few weeks. As per NHS description, some of us were ill for a couple of hours, mild vomitting, upset tummy, others more poorly and for longer. It's the same as a lot of viruses, depends on your age, health, immune system etc but usually over within 2-3 days. DB, who was tested for it and had it confirmed, had no temp, was up and about though very nauseous. Nobody in the family has been on their back in pain for the duration. If you had noro, it was very extreme.

The key problem with it is if you become dehydrated which is a secondary problem to the virus itself.

NHS info here.

evette77 Thu 09-May-13 14:01:22

I am so ill, both my kids were off school with vomiting and diarreah last week
Iv not been sick but was up all night with stomach pains and diarreah last night, my belly feels like its bloated and full of wind, I'm off my food and anything I do eat or drink gives me that awful sicky burning feeling in stomach
Also body aching and shivers like flu

Elibean Thu 09-May-13 18:30:42

I've just had it, or something very like. Acidy tum and nausea, then temp started, then violent (and I mean violent) vomiting, then high temp for a day, bad headache, horrid body aches etc.

I seem to have escaped the diarrhoea part, at least. Still feel sore inside (food hurts going down, and am very windy!) but starting to feel less wiped out, three days later.

dh on the other hand has had sore stomach, nausea, no diarrhoea, no vomiting, temperature for 24 hours and backache.

dds have had nothing at all (touch wood).

It can and does vary from person to person depending on viral load, and strain.

So yes, you poor love, you might well do. Get well soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now