Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

had horrendous D&V Virus since monday, dropped 2 dress sizes...Sympathy please!

(79 Posts)
queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 11:25:14

and STILL feel like shite. Ive barely even been able to sip water without retching. Ive lost a shocking amount of weight (pj's falling down etc) and all i can do is drink rehydration sachets etc
<boak>

even had a fecking stye last night. Im falling apart!

psychomum5 Fri 12-Feb-10 11:32:02

shock at how much weight you have lost!

lots of sympathy from me.....how horrid

VinegarTits Fri 12-Feb-10 11:34:55

are you sure it was just d&v? doesnt normally last that long does it? sounds more like gastic flu, you poor thing

flossie64 Fri 12-Feb-10 11:36:40

Oh no Lissie, do you think you have maybe just got it worse because of all the recent change. Sometimes big change seems to make people more likely to get more poorly with bugs.
Hope you feel better very soon- and your Dh is able to help you out . Take care x

queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 11:40:25

vinegartits, i agree that its more likely to be gastric flu, but ds and dh show no sign of getting ill confused

psychomum, i look dreadful. i cant afford to lose any weight anyway and now look all skeletal sad

flossie, i think that perhaps it has been made worse with all the upheaval. ive not even been able to get out of bed, good job dh was here really!

VinegarTits Fri 12-Feb-10 11:45:15

my ds1 had gastic flu when he was 16 and lost 2 stone, its horendous you have my utter sympathy

queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 11:52:00

im so drained too. dh ended up ringing nhs direct tuesday morning because id been ill every 5 mins all monday night and i was literally the same colour as an olive.
<self pity> how long was ds ill for?

psychomum5 Fri 12-Feb-10 11:57:58

I do feel for you, sounds utterly horrendous.

are you managing to keep anything down......if you have lost that much weight, some of that is going to be water, you need to ensure you are not getting dehydrated.

queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 11:59:59

ive managed small sips, am feeling a bit better today but am very VERY dehydrated.

VinegarTits Fri 12-Feb-10 12:08:57

he was ill for about a week, but took him a few weeks to get his strentgh back,

flossie64 Fri 12-Feb-10 12:12:07

I usually make my own re hydration drink, its a bit more palatable IMO.
300ml boiled water, pinch of salt, tbsp sugar. Dilute with fruit juice and sip constantly. HTH
If you still feel bad this afternoon, maybe you should get some advice from your GP.
as NHS direct are not very good at quick help- as I found out a few of weeks ago.
Hope you continue to improve though.

Alex1981 Fri 12-Feb-10 15:10:40

Sorry to double up on posts but I've just posted this message on another thread. Thought it might help here too though:

If you want reduce the risk of reinfection, or infecting anyone else (sounds like you've got Norovirus or Rotavirus to me) then clean the surfaces you come into contact with with Tristel products (see www.tristelathome.co.uk).

They kill all germs and are safe to use. Hospitals use them for killing superbugs! And they don't stink like bleach.

Take care. x

queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 18:33:57

thank you all. have managed to eat today: 1/2 a tin of soup, 1 slice of toast and 4 chips woo hoo! even drunk a whole cup of boiled water!

herbietea Fri 12-Feb-10 18:42:22

Poor you Lissie, it sounds awful.

I hope you feel better soon.

queenoftheslatterns Fri 12-Feb-10 18:44:55

and you, good news about the vouchers though wink where are you going?

RubysReturn Fri 12-Feb-10 18:49:28

I am sorry you feel poorly - but could you breath on me?

herbietea Fri 12-Feb-10 21:22:33

We're not sure Lissie. I fancy Turkey so we are looking at resorts over there. I never win anything and was very surprised.

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 07:42:39

lol ruby's tis a rubbish price to pay to lose a few pounds. dh has it now sad

herbie, that sounds fab! you deserve it sweet x

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 07:53:39

Message withdrawn

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 07:56:30

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 07:58:12

lol i know what you meant. am considering one myself. drank nowt but boiled water and diorolyte since monday

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 08:12:15

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 08:17:25

oh god, the wind!!!! will you take me with you? wink

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 08:22:05

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 08:24:26

oooh, me too, tis quite fetching. think its the dehydration!

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 17:02:17

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 18:23:37

oh you poor thing! hope dh is looking after you.

i am much better now thanks, but ds's tummy is very iffy, dh (thankfully) doesnt seem too bad at all, maybe the worst was mine!

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 18:36:58

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sat 13-Feb-10 18:45:05

ooo dear. have you got any rehydration drinks etc?

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 19:33:26

Message withdrawn

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sat 13-Feb-10 19:33:47

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 02:56:54

I think I have this too. It came on early this evening and I have had seven episodes of vomitting/retching

I want it to stop [sas] how long did the sickness phase last

Should I stop sipping water as I just heave it back up?

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 08:50:36

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 10:02:06

thanks
i have nver had anything like this
I was vomittin for about 8 hours and the D has set in, which is awful
but relieved i have stopped being sick
what a miserable half term

what is it, a bug going round?

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 10:03:55

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 10:09:07

dd had a bug on Friday but it last 24 hours, sick twice, D once
thanks for the symathy, returned to you, DH is looking after dc's but sympathy not there and tbh I think he is struggling to hide his revulsion,

queenoftheslatterns Sun 14-Feb-10 10:17:46

<hairstrokes all round> dh and ds have hardly had it at all (lucky buggers) but i seem to be fine now (thank god)

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 10:22:55

Thanks queen

[there there you are all going to be fine, everything is going to be alright]

they have all mercifully gone out to rugby, screaming and wailing as they went, wish dh could have calmed them down, but to be fair i think mummy being in bed and v sick makes them feel very anxious that their source of nourishment and love is under threat...

queenoftheslatterns Sun 14-Feb-10 10:27:48

lol egg, ds was uber-loving while i was ill and obsessed with kissing me on the lips "i want to kiss you though mummy, i need a kiss from you"

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 12:19:23

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Sun 14-Feb-10 15:14:57

lol, there are worse things...

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 16:19:45

I have slept most of the day.

I feel hungry but dare not eat as I know it will start it all up. All is quiet on the southern front at the moment grin

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 16:42:42

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 17:14:24

brandy might be ok, but I do not want to risk anything.
On ribena and diorayte, hot, which is so far not causing my guts to be outraged.

What an awful start to half term sad

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 17:22:35

Message withdrawn

mrschigur Sun 14-Feb-10 17:29:45

flat coke is the best rehydrator ever.
just stir in a bit of sugar to get it flat.

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 17:56:19

Christiana, will your dh take the day off to look after the dc's?

I am supposed to be working tomorrow, only day I am working this week.

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 17:57:10

Mrsc not got any coke, having ribena and dioralyte

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 18:03:17

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 18:21:13

I just do not see how I can go in, but it will go down so badly. So much to do and no one at work can really do it.

I am looking after the dc's from Tuesday so I do not try and get over this bug tomorrow then I just will not be able to manage

feel sick and bruised inside, if that makes sense

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 19:43:03

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 21:13:32

I am going to, just hate being fallible! Thanks for the NHS tip i will check out the UK one

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 21:17:48

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 21:25:54

Oh Chrisiana take good care of yourself. When you are better eat well, rest when you can and get some fresh air. I have a history of depression and these types of illnesses invariably tend to knock me down.
Fish oils help me, as do the above.

It will be ok smile you will feel like your old self soon.

I can#t find the D and V thing on the scottish website.

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 21:29:07

Message withdrawn

pregnantpeppa Sun 14-Feb-10 21:38:37

Hello pooey ladies - can I join you? Had what I thought was mild D&V Tuesday morning, it then was OK during the day until after dinner Tuesday, more D, then back again Weds night again after dinner (reckon my body was fighting off the bug & winning at that point) but since last night (24 hours) have been constantly throwing up & going to the toilet (also about 50 times) & can't keep anything down at all, really sucks. Am 32 weeks pregnant & worried about dehydration - am drinking lots of water but it all squirts out again !! (sorry TMI but you all know what its like on this thread!) The worst bit of it is horrendously painful stomach cramps, consoling myself its good practice of my yoga breathing for contractions because they are that painful. DH was threatening to take me to hospital if I didn't stop moaning through them at one point, and at one point I thought this must be labour, but think it is just the bug, maybe made worse as baby is also squashing everything??

Does anyone think I should phone my MW if not better tomorrow, feel a bit better now so might see how I am in the morning - just tried some dry bread & will see how that goes down!

Just please pray for me I am not stuck on the loo tomorrow as we have decorators in all day doing the hallway outside the only loo in the house - arrrgh.
Sympathy to all fellow sufferers.

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 21:47:23

Message withdrawn

pregnantpeppa Sun 14-Feb-10 21:58:58

Hi Christina thanks for the sympathy! Are you starting to feel any better? I have a DD aged nearly 3, DH was threatening to go to work today (he needed to do some coursework for a course he's doing) but thank god he stayed home, as at one point I nearly let him go! How old are your children you will be looking after tomorrow? DD was very sweet to me today, kissing my tummy better and stroking my hair, although I wasn't so chuffed with "mummy open my banana" repeatedly while I was projectile vomiting bile. I just hope DD & DH don't get it now!
Have just had some watered down fruit juice and had marmite on my dry bread which is still staying down 30 minutes later (fingers crossed!) so hopefully that is good for the sugar/salt replacement, will make up a drink as suggested though too. Have lost 9 lbs overnight though so I must be rehydrated shock.

pregnantpeppa Sun 14-Feb-10 22:00:19

dehydrated not rehydrated!

eggandsoldiers Sun 14-Feb-10 22:00:35

also be careful about eating, it can excite the old guts and it all starts up again

I am just sticking to squash, marmite and hot water and dioralyte

poor you, it is sooo horrid

ChristianaTheTwelfth Sun 14-Feb-10 22:29:39

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Mon 15-Feb-10 10:57:41

<hairstroke for peppa> that sounds dreaful! have you called the mw? best to get yourself checked out.

ChristianaTheTwelfth Mon 15-Feb-10 11:00:27

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Mon 15-Feb-10 12:11:52

i have D again. sad although i am on my period (5 days early angry)

eggandsoldiers Mon 15-Feb-10 12:45:55

in bed with hottie, feel washed out, dare not eat, short episode of D,

queenoftheslatterns Mon 15-Feb-10 12:49:12

thats crap (excuse the pun) is dh with you?

GochaGocha Mon 15-Feb-10 13:07:53

DS2 has D&V too today so bored and lurking ... would not have bothered to post but Christina are you still really yellow? If so pls call your GP, 'cause it sounds like you might need a liver screen ...

GochaGocha Mon 15-Feb-10 13:10:22

PS much sympathy, tinged with envy at your weight loss ... now I am leaving because it's putting me off my lunch!

ChristianaTheTwelfth Mon 15-Feb-10 13:19:57

Message withdrawn

ChristianaTheTwelfth Mon 15-Feb-10 13:20:21

Message withdrawn

GochaGocha Mon 15-Feb-10 13:52:17

As was I. Glad to hear those causes have been ruled out smile.

Have you got any rice? Steamed sticky, fragrant Thai or Basmati are all nice.

pregnantpeppa Mon 15-Feb-10 15:45:37

Hello ladies,
I am not keen on hearing that the episodes of D can restart! Queenofslatterns - more D, after a week for you? shock. Please no for me, as D finally, finally stopped after night from hell on the loo - just in time for the decorators to turn up - phew. I feel much better and am STARVING but eggandsoldiers trying to take your advice and nibble on dry toast rather than stuff myself which is my heavily pregnant inclination! Pleased for you Christiana that your D has stopped, but sorry that you still feel so crap, hope that you start to perk up soon.

Haven't rung MW as my community one is on hols this week and thought feel OK enough not to bother the hospital. My fingers were like shrivelled up prunes this morning with dehydration but thank god keeping fluids in now so think am rehydrating, and think baby is fine as it is kicking me like mad (in my poor, sore tummy).

[whispers] does anyone else's bottom really hurt after all the D? I can hardly sit down!

ChristianaTheSeventh Mon 15-Feb-10 17:57:50

Message withdrawn

queenoftheslatterns Tue 16-Feb-10 08:17:02

weve been using bepanthen here, hate sudocreme anyway, only used it once with ds while bepanthen actually soothes any soreness. still a touch of D but at least am off work anyway because of ds's half term.

ChristianaTheSeventh Tue 16-Feb-10 10:54:46

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Tue 16-Feb-10 20:04:21

Hi all, sorry to hear about DD1 Christiana your poor DD.
After two days of nothing to eat I think, fingers crossed, I am better. I have eaten normally today. Hoping going to be ok. But dd who had it and got over it, then had D two days later so prepared for a return. But feel so well today, like I have been on a detox, so hoping it is over, it was horrid.
Hope you are all ok, virtual hair stroke to all smile

pregnantpeppa Tue 16-Feb-10 23:26:05

Oh no, your poor DD Christiana. I am better today - hurrah and went to work, but sure it is just a matter of time before my DD gets it, given that I couldn't keep her out the loo while I was in there (over those many, long hours!).

ChristianaTheSeventh Wed 17-Feb-10 09:29:04

Message withdrawn

eggandsoldiers Wed 17-Feb-10 22:17:47

she will be fine, children, i think, are much more in tune with their bods and food than us

me too i felt fab today, radiant even - after my enforced detox, eating normally no unpleasant repercussions....

so pleased i am over it, thought I would feel drained and low for days

hang in there any of you who still have it, sending lots of 'there theres smile'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now