Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

What happens if you leave a mirena longer than 5 years?

(40 Posts)
akhems Sun 24-Jan-10 05:42:36

Does it still work like a normal iud?

teaandcakeplease Sun 24-Jan-10 10:00:59

Presumably you're asking as yours is almost 5 years old? I would go and get it changed if the hormones have run out on this type at the 5 year mark, as unless you want a baby, I really wouldn't risk it personally... Although I am no expert but it must be 5 years for a reason?

I have a standard IUD that lasts for 5 years myself but I will be back in that GP surgery asap on the 5 year mark wink

akhems Sun 24-Jan-10 10:34:47

It is 5 years old and I hadn't realised, gp reminded me last week. However, I'm feeling so healthy at the moment, energetic, sex drive back etc I'm reluctant to have another one in case it was the mirena that caused me to feel crap in the first place.

I had a copper coil years ago and it was horrendous.. I bled heavily constantly until it was removed, so I'm reluctant to try that again.

I have malapsorption issues so the pill wouldn't be safe for me, and I'm not sure about anything else. I don't want to be sterilised just in case we decide we'd like another baby in the future so I'm feeling a bit lost. I was hoping that after 5 years the hormones have worn off but it would still work as an iud.

I did read about a contraceptive patch called Evra but I don't know if it's used over here.

teaandcakeplease Sun 24-Jan-10 14:08:38

I had an IUD before kids and it didn't agree with me very well but me and the pill did not work either. So after kids I had another one fitted and it's fine now. I don't know whether after kids my body is different, or something else? But certainly works better for me now than pre-children. No pains/ aches down below and my period is a lot better as well this time round.

Maybe it's a slightly different make or something I was given.

Worth having a chat with your GP again maybe on ideas?

bellavita Sun 24-Jan-10 14:14:55

When I went for mine removing my gp said it doesn't have to be removed dead on 5 years there is quite a bit of leeway for about another year. Obviously you don't want to take that chance but it doesn't have to be to the exact date.

akhems Tue 26-Jan-10 09:16:24

Thanks all, am seeing gp this afternoon so will have a chat about it then - I'm just feeling soo good and full of vavavoom if you know what I mean, I'm scared to change anything that might ruin that blush

aristocat Tue 26-Jan-10 13:34:56

akhems
hello my mirena is 5 years old too. i have an appointment with the nurse next week as i was thinking of having the implant. not sure about another coil and i am not sure what to do.

hope all goes well at the GP today, what did you decide to do?

akhems Thu 28-Jan-10 08:25:32

Hi Aristo

he gave me some leaflets and I think I'm going to try the patch and see what happens with that.

I had thought my Mirena was fine but I've suffered from depression on and off over the years and very low (non-existent) libido. Now, I'm not sure if it's because the hormones in the mirena have worn off or because I'm taking supplements but at the moment I feel fantastic - super healthy and very rampant.. my poor dp doesn't know what's hit him.. he said it's wierd going from once a month if he's lucky to once every 12 hours

I'm very reluctant to tamper with the nice balance I've got now so I figure if the patches make me feel crappy in any way I can take it off with no long term effects.

Need to make another appointment now to get the Mirena out and try them.

aristocat Thu 28-Jan-10 11:08:43

hope you get on ok with the patch akhems.
i have app. on monday and dont really want another mirena.

akhems Fri 29-Jan-10 07:25:31

Thank you aristo.. will post my findings when I've had them

Good luck with finding something that suits you. My friend loves her arm implant.. I don't know much about it but might be worth a think?

aristocat Mon 01-Feb-10 11:41:01

akhems well i am still not sure.

i will either have the injection or the implant so need to make my mind up.
the patch isnt available here sad

i can have the injection at the doctors but need to go to the nearset FP clinic to have the implant done.

good luck - smile

morningpaper Mon 01-Feb-10 11:45:56

it explodes

aristocat Mon 01-Feb-10 12:49:12

MP grin

lematthedogs Mon 01-Feb-10 13:21:32

CONDOMS!!! use condoms!

I swear my mirena is responsible for my anxiety and depression and general feeling on apathy - i can't wait to have it removed and i wont be having another one. The reason i haven't had it out yet? Because i really REALLY don't want another child.

But i think condoms have to be the way forward. Trouble is I hate them

arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhh

kitschmum Tue 02-Feb-10 17:51:04

I would personally keep a check on it as I had one and decided to have it removed just after 5 years as having bad pains, I had pelvic inflammatory disease which needed treatment with awful tablets. If left it can make you infertile I however was fine and had more children. Keep checks on it with your doctor or nurse would be best! Best wishes

akhems Sun 07-Feb-10 21:04:18

doesn't matter now, my relationship has ended so I can just get it out and not worry

Thanks all

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 07-Feb-10 21:09:14

Only just seen this. My Mirena is blush seven years old, and still working fine. Reluctant to have it changed because is is all fine...

differentnameforthis Sun 07-Feb-10 21:20:18

oldlady...there must be a reason they 5 years & if yours isn't as effective as it was & you get pregnant there is a high risk of ectopic pregnancies.

If you are lucky & this doesn't happen, you can miscarry after they remove the mirena.

Not worth the risk really!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 09-Feb-10 11:36:38

Thanks for your concern, differentname, and your advice is sound; you're right to point that out. But I'm in my late 40's and my DH was sterilised almost 20 years ago, so no such worries for me. I'm still not having periods, I'm still not getting PMT - and that's good enough for me!

Rubyrubyruby Tue 09-Feb-10 11:41:57

Mirena coil is licensed for 7 years on the continent.

Are you ok akhems?

akhems Tue 09-Feb-10 16:32:20

I'm ok thanks Ruby, bit sad and low but I'll live

Lemsip07 Tue 16-Feb-10 21:27:25

I've had my mirena coil in for nearly 5 yrs now.
I went to the docs today for the dreaded smear and thought while she's givin me the smear she'd be as well taken coil out and that would save me goin back in 2months 2 get it out.
When i mentioned takin the coil out she said no need as i'm not using it as birth control.
she said Mirena's can stay in till whenever as long as not for contraception and not causin any problems.
I must say it's been great for me - i've never had a period in the near 5yrs it's been in and i'm fine and healthy

revitalised Mon 14-Feb-11 11:50:32

Seeing all these comments about weather to have the coil replaced after the hormone has 'run out' ... I had the Mirena Coil for 10 years and thought it was great - even recommended it to friends because of the lack of periods BUT I thought my COMPLETE lack of sex drive was a left over symptom from serious depression. IT WAS NOT!!! I had the coil out and like many of you who have commented, have now gone back to an incredible sex drive. I thought I was going to be a bit of a dried out prune for the rest of my life ...I am now having the time of my life at 46...so blessed my husband was prepared to hang around through the desert years ...he is certainly reaping the rewards now!

wigglybeezer Mon 14-Feb-11 11:58:58

Interesting thread, I have been wondering about the same issue, i too am perkier now that my Mirena has been in for 4+ years (periods have started to come back a bit too). For a long time I felt a bit like I had permanent PMT! I don't want to go back to that, DH is considering a vasectomy.

notevenamousie Mon 14-Feb-11 12:02:53

It gradually wears out and becomes less effective, there isn't a 5 year magic switch. If your periods are coming back, it's probably wearing out. It is used my most gynaecologists for 10 years if you are over 40 (currently off license). akhems I'm so sorry, was it unexpected? Hope you are ok.

happymess01 Mon 06-Aug-12 13:09:45

Hello. I have the same question here. Does anyone really know what can happen if i dont remove my IUD after 5 yrs.?
Mine is a little over 5 yrs. Old and it has work perfect for me. I totally love it and i'm very happy w it. The problem is that haven't been able to remove it and get a new one since my insurance doesnt cover it anymore and to have all that done it will cost me around $1400 a bit much for us to cover right now so i figured i'll just wait for now until we can afford it. (Hopefully soon) But i'm scare of some really bad side effects happening or that i could get pregnant since i don't want any more babies right now. I'm about to turn 30 and have two beautiful babies already.

Hope someone can out there has some helpful info about this.
Thanks. H

traceys1 Mon 15-Oct-12 08:36:48

Well I feel some what ripped off lol. I have had my mirena in for 5 years and will get another put in this week but in all the 5 years I have only missed 2 periods grrrr wish I was like others and didnt get it at all

miller64tdm Thu 28-Feb-13 17:39:24

wow that was a ton of info, I have had mine for 5 years and maybe 2 weeks, but reading all the comments I had no idea that my not really wanting to have anything to with sex could have something to do with mirena, that would explain allot, but are some of you saying that after the 5 year mark while leaving it in your sex drive might come back or is it when you have it removed.

woodland Thu 28-Feb-13 17:56:11

I know someone who kept it in for 10 years. It became embedded in her uterus somehow and she has had to have a number of painful procedures and a lot of time off work to put it right. I don't know details but she has been warning anyone who will listen.

miller, eventually the hormones will run out, but that could be after 5 years or 7 years or 10 years. In your position I think I'd get it taken out (given you're supposed to get it taken out now anyway if you were going to get another one), use condoms for a few months and see whether your sex drive comes back.

platinum5060 Fri 29-Mar-13 23:30:08

I have had my marina in for 7 years and I am having it taken out next week, I had no idea my lack of sex drive was because of the marina, this is my third Marina that i have had, I have had no periods for all of the time that the marina's have been in place, I am hoping that my sex drive comes back, I am sure my hubby will be happy with that, although I have never abstained from it, it would be nice to actually really feel like it...!!!! I always enjoy it once we get started, but to actually want to would be fabulous for me. http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/4.gif

FrankWippery Fri 29-Mar-13 23:38:32

I had my mirena coil fitted in August 97, and had it removed in May 2008, I was pregnant with DC4 within 2 weeks.

No periods for almost 11 years, it was bloody marvellous grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 30-Mar-13 00:05:22

Since this thread has been reinvigorated, can I just say that I still have the same Mirena that I had three years ago, (so, about a decade with the same device) I'm still not having periods (or PMT) but my sex-drive has vanished. sad

OTOH, I'm 50, nearly 51, and my (two years older) sister was put on HRT recently.

peaches43 Wed 18-Sep-13 15:32:43

I've had mine for just over 5 years and wanted another fitting but GP said to leave it for one more year and then have it removed as I'm 51 and probably peri-menopausal (or even menopausal). Interestingly I've just begun to get spotty which seems unfair at this age (spots AND wrinkles?). Anyone had one at this ripe old age? Or had one removed? What happened?

onmiwei Wed 02-Oct-13 00:40:01

I have had my mirena for just over 5 years. I went to the gyn to get my yearly check up and she told me it can stay in for 7 years even though it is only approved for 5 years. She said new studies show it can be effective longer. She said it was up to me if I want it taken out of not and replaced but it is still working fine. I am 41. Both my sister and mom had early menopause in their early 40's..so I am hoping I will be there before I have to have it replaced. It was very hard to insert and caused a lot of pain due to a tilted small uterus. I haven't had a single problem after that. Love love love love..wish I would have had it earlier in life :D

Yogamomma3 Fri 24-Jan-14 00:22:48

I realize this thread is old but do you still have your iud? Mine is 10 years old and I like it more now than I did when I first got it! No periods, no mood swings from the hormones. I see no need to fix something that isnt broken. My dh has been snipped so no worries about getting prego. My biggest fear at this point is getting scolded when I finally do go in.

Yogamomma3 Fri 24-Jan-14 00:27:31

Just wondering the outcome of getting your iud removed. I have has the same iud for 10 years and can't imagine getting a period after not having one for so long. What are your thoughts?

mamasbaffled Fri 21-Feb-14 06:19:11

My IUD is almost 9 years old. I too have been blessed to never have periods but I can't seem to lose weight and I too seem to have a less than healthy libido. Since my "hormones" are supposedly expired my husband and I use the pull out method just to be safe since my own nature defenses and the IUD seem to do the trick. Any women that have had their IUD in just as long as me use the IUD as if it were brand new or do you use different methods with the "expired" IUD?

flow4 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:02:51

Just a word of warning to people who have had their coils in a long time... When mine was fitted, I was told it would last 5 years. When I went back to have it removed, they told me they now left them in for 10... After about 7 years I started getting pelvic pain and feeling ill; i was ill and in pain for months and months, although I tested negative for NSU and various other infections. I asked if it could be my coil, but was dismissed... But I followed my instincts and had it removed. It came out literally black and stinking. shock I then had a course of anaerobic antibiotics and was fine within a week.

My coil was great for the first 6 years or so, but I really wouldn't recommend leaving it in longer.

NurseBrunnie Fri 28-Mar-14 05:47:21

This is such an interesting thread. It's almost been 7 years that I have had the Mirena and I have had nothing short of an amazing experience. I never get my period nor any negative symptoms. I looked up having the mirena for more than 7 years to see what others experiences were. I feel like it's a mixed bag. I have a Pap smear coming up so I will talk to my GYNO soon. I'm in love but not married yet so I'm torn about taking it out and using any other type of contraception. I got the IUD when I first heard about it and I was a poor nursing school student. I had it inserted by planned parenthood free of charge because I was unemployed at the time. My libido has not been affected. It did really hurt to insert, I have never been pregnant so I think it is particularly painful to those who have never conceived. I highly recommend the mirena to anyone looking for an effective form of birth control. I honestly do not ever want my period again but I can't wait to have babies so I guess I have no choice but to eventually have it removed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now