Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can adults get croup?

(9 Posts)

Because I am coughing like a seal and and over the past few hours I have been steadily losing my voice.

Feel rotten and the cough is so, so sore!

Best thing to do, please? smile

Waaaaaaaaah no one cares.

[bark] [bark] [bark]

FluffyForLifeNotJustForXmas Fri 08-Jan-10 22:57:05

No, adults get laryngitis. Poor you sad

Have you had a whooping cough jab by any chance? Can you breathe OK? Swallow OK?

Lots to drink and some paracetamol will help.

Ah having googled I think I may have. Thanks.

I can breathe ok, am occasionally struggling to catch a breathe between coughs at times iykwim, but fine apart from that. My throat is sore but I can swallow.

As for whooping cough jab, I don't know? Perhaps as a child?! No idea really.

Thanks will take some more paracetamol (am due some anyway) and will go to bed and prop myself up and see if I can get a sleep. I hate winter!! smile

FluffyForLifeNotJustForXmas Fri 08-Jan-10 23:42:23

It should pass, it can be mixed up with epiglotitis, which can get really serious, that's why I asked if you could swallow OK. It should pass by itself in a few days. Pop and see your GP if you are worried or if you feel worse though.

I hope you are feeling better soon smile

Thanks again Fluffy. Felt much worse this morning, but better as the day has gone on. Expect it will get worse again at bedtime grin

FluffyForLifeNotJustForXmas Sat 09-Jan-10 19:55:18

You're welcome. Try to rest as much as you can. smile

A brandy for um...medicinal purposes maybe grin

I was diagnosed with croup and a viral wheeze in feb, started with a sore throat - it was horrendous, very very painful and hurt to breathe, very tiring too. The only thing that helped was loads of ice pops. In the end it took antibiotics to clear it. Worth seeing a gp if you are at all concerned.

hope you feel miles better soon.

abcd106 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:58:21

You can know Can Adults get Croup from Kids? and more like What is Croup, Croup speard through by which way...

What is Croup?

According to Google, Croup is the Inflammation of the larynx and trachea in children, associated with infection and causing breathing difficulties

According to Kidhealths, Croup is a condition that causes an inflammation of the upper airways — the voice box (larynx) and windpipe (trachea). It often leads to a barking cough or hoarseness, especially when a child cries

Most cases of croup are caused by viruses, usually parainfluenza virus and sometimes adenovirus or respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)

Who's always get Croup?

Croup is most common in children 6 months to 3 years old.

Can Adults get Croup from Kids

Also according to Kidshealth, Croup can be spread to Children from 5-6 years old but never seen in teenager and Adults. Because, kids have a small airway, so they're easier to get croup than you - an adults. If it affects, An adults might just have a hoarse voice (or “laryngitis”)

So now, you knew You cannot get Croup from Kids. You can take care of your kids better! smile

Source: www.canadults.info/2013/02/can-adults-get-croup-from-kids.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now