Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS needs glasses - long sighted and lazy eye, please can you chat to me about it?

(47 Posts)
ForestFloor Sun 03-Jan-10 19:21:12

DS is nearly 5 and this was picked up by the school optician person, who has referred him to the eye hospital for further investigation. The letter we got just said he had a lazy eye and was long sighted - much more in one eye than the other. It said he will need glasses and possibly patches.

Will he need glasses forever or can they help sort the long sightedness? I think the figures the optician said were +2 is that bad or not too bad?

Any experiences really welcomed!

Also, how much will it cost - I can see DS going through pairs of glasses at an alarming rate shock

Thanks!

DBennett Fri 09-Jul-10 20:39:41

Maryam,
Hyperopia (Long Sightedness) of that level is unlikely to correct itself as she gets older.
Babies are born long sighted (around +3.00DS) and get less and less until teh age of 10.

If you're more long sighted than this it's still possible but much less likely.

This is made even less likely if there is strabismus (a turn in the eye) or amblyopia (a lazy eye).

As to whether the glasses have to be worn full time, it's very likely.
If she is under the age of 10 it'd be sure of it.
But you didn't say how old she was.

Dysgu Fri 09-Jul-10 21:21:55

DD1 is 3.10 and has hyperopia, strabismus and amblyopia! Her prescription is now +7.5 in both eyes.

She goes to the eye clinic at the hospital every 10 weeks and they told us to be guided by her with regards to whether she needed to wear them all the time - she puts them on as soon as she wakes up and they are the last thing she takes off before going to sleep (in fact there have been times I have had to remind her to remove them as she doesn't notice they are still on they are such a part of her!)

She even wears them in the bath!

We have been patching since she was 2.3yo and we love her patches - although she is not as keen sometimes! - and she only wears her patch for 1 hour a day now instead of 3. She wears her patch at the childminder's or at pre-school and is much happier wearing it with friends than around the house!

She has 4 to choose from bought online from
www.framehuggers.com/

DBennett Fri 09-Jul-10 21:34:51

Dysgu,

I would be very suprised indeed if the option was left open for less than full time wear with that prescription, let alone the other factors.

I would go so far as to say that was a miscommunication, I don't like to imagine that staff can go so far from all the guidence on this topic.

Oblomov Fri 09-Jul-10 21:42:47

DS1(6) been wearing glasses for many years. we have patched aswell. his eyesight is getting better. is still cross eyed but they keep insisting its not bad enough to operate on. looks pretty bad to me, especially when tired when its worse.. but we'll see.

muffint Sat 10-Jul-10 20:05:21

My DD is long sighted in both eyes (6+) with a squint, diagnosed aged 2. We have orthoptics appts every 3 months and an annual eye test with the consultant. We're told if we could get her to wear the glasses as much as possible she wouldn't need a patch or surgery. Fortunately, although she doesn't wear them all the time, we have avoided these. we're told she'd never grow out of it at a 6 but that she could probably wear contacts if she wants to in later life and that laser surgery may well have advanced by then to correct it, again if that's what she wants. We go to Boots and the glasses are free. They're willing to do repairs whenever you need them on the spot - she's chewed both ears off, lenses have dropped out, frames bent beyond belief and they've made them look like new. I sometimes ask when I see the orthoptist if we can have another prescription if the glasses are looking a bit ragged and they've never refused. It's really difficult (particularly when aged 2) to keep them from being broken. I think a +2 is not too bad at all - my nephew was a 9+ and he's now 14 and wearing contacts. It's actually not too bad - I think the worst thing is the regular appointments - if you're working.

Ciccia74 Sun 24-Oct-10 21:53:51

Hi 1st time i have posted here but have been reading lots on long sightedness on here. My son has just been given a +4.5 and a +5 but because I had no idea I didn't have any sensible questions to ask the optician and I didn't find her very helpful. My son has been wearing them for a couple of days now and has spent most of his time looking over the top of them . Is this quite normal? Will he stop doing this as he gets used to them? Also we have to go back to the hospital to see the orthoptist in 8 weeks but nobody has said what for. When do you next get to see the optician to see if the prescription needs altering? Sorry to go on but I don't know who to ask. Are opticians always so vague?? Hope someone can help.xx

Ciccia74 Sun 24-Oct-10 21:58:12

Oh and I forgot to say he is 3.8 and we have been having hospital appointments to monitor a cyst in his eye he has born with. The cyst is unchanged but they did some eyesight tests and came up with this. Scary that I might not have known about his longsightedness for ages had it not been for this. Makes me sad.xx

suzikettles Sun 24-Oct-10 22:12:59

We've just had a letter to say that ds (nearly 4) has failed his pre-school eye check and needs to be re-tested.

It says that it could just be that he wouldn't cooperate with the test or that there's a possible problem.

Can I ask if you noticed your dc's eye problem or was it just picked up by a routine test? I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary but then I suppose that's the point of the test.

Neither dh or I wear glasses and I'm feeling a little wobbly about the idea of ds needing them. Which is completely daft, but there you go.

DBennett Sun 24-Oct-10 23:15:34

@ciccia74

The orthoptist will be monitoring the vision to make sure the glasses are doing their job.
He will have a glasses check every yr or so routinely but may be early if there are concerns.

But he does need to look through them and should be encouraged to do so.
It's fairly common for children to be resistant to this but it you persevere they generally settle into them well.

Does that make sense?

@suzikettles

Most parents of children who have a vision problem picked up at screening have not noticed anything.
Firstly, it's hard to notice these sometimes.
Secondly, kids don;t tend to complain as they don't have a standard of comparison.

This why the screening is done.

Having said that, a substantial portion of these follow ups turn out to because the child wouldn't do one of the tests, or got bored or distracted (especially in open plan nurseries).

So try not to worry.

Ciccia74 Mon 25-Oct-10 16:27:18

Thank you so much for your advice. He is much better today so that's encouraging. Am so proud of him I could cry and I do think now that he has mr tickle ones as well as Mickey mouse we will be fighting off all the girls!!
Suziekettles, I understand how you feel completely. I wobbled for a whole 2 days and cried about it too, then felt terrible for getting so upset about something that was going to help him. Hopefully your little one was just being uncooperative but it's really brilliant that they are checking him again to be sure. Good luck.xxx

DBennett Mon 25-Oct-10 19:04:52

Glad to hear he's doing better with his glasses.

The first couple of days can be difficult.

summer111 Tue 26-Oct-10 19:44:16

Forestfloor, I am in my early 40's and was diagnosed with a slight squint and longsightedness when I was aged about 3 yrs. I was prescribed glasses and had patching intially (can't recall for how long I had patching) but by the time I was about 12yrs old, the time I wore glasses was gradually reduced and I stopped wearing them altogether at aged 14 ish. I have never worn glasses since, and my optician has remarked upon how good my eyesight now is, despite my age grin and past history...

tjacksonpfc Tue 26-Oct-10 20:32:46

Hi all just beeb reading this thread. I took my dd 6 and ds 5 on thursday to our local opticians today for there first eye test.

I wasn't overly impressed as ds couldnt recognise half the letters due to only just doing letters at school only started in sept.

So test wasnt that thorough as he had nothing else he could use for son to read.

He said both dcs we slightly long sighted in both eyes and that was it. No prescription no explinantion no nothing. I would have thought if they we both long sighted they would need glasses.

Would it be worth going else where for a second opinion?

DBennett Tue 26-Oct-10 21:48:54

It's not good that they didn't have age appropriate vision tests.
Even matching letters on a card tends to work from about 3 and a half yrs.

May I ask whether eye drops were used?

Oh and children should be long sighted at those ages.
Babies are bong long-sighted and get less and less until about the age of 10.

It's only abnormally high levels of long-sightedness that need correcting.

tjacksonpfc Tue 26-Oct-10 21:53:05

Hi DB thanks for the reply no there were no eye drops used should there have been?.

I assumed when I phoned up and booked they eye test it would have been age appropriate seeing as they asked the age.

Do you think I would be daft going to another opticians for a second opinion?

DBennett Tue 26-Oct-10 22:15:36

The adult letter chart is OK (not good) for kids, as long as you have a matching card for those who aren't sure of the letters.

There are a half a dozen vision tests aimed at younger children.

As I said, it's not good that neither option were available.

RE: the drops. A lot of opticians have their own ideas about using them depending on the age of children, whether they have been seen before or findings on the day.
However, all the guidance I'm aware of on the issue would strongly advocate it's use, especially for a first check.

As to whether you should go get a second opinion, I can't answer that.

Despite what sound like short falls in the test, it's unlikely that anything sinister would have been missed.

In addition, you may get charged a private eye test fee as the NHS won't cover a 2nd eye test so soon without new symptoms.

It just makes me crazy that this kind of thing is allowed to happen.

Sorry, that's probably quite unhelpful.

tjacksonpfc Tue 26-Oct-10 22:24:23

Thanks for advice DB ill have a word with school nurse when they go back to school and see what she says.

I no one thing I wont be going back there in a hurry.

DBennett Wed 27-Oct-10 09:58:17

It may be uncomfortable but it might be worth telling them that.

Might give them a kick towards doing better.

Oblomov Wed 27-Oct-10 10:59:45

Sixtyfootdoll, where are your ds2's Star Wars glasses from. Ds1, almost 7, would like some of those, I think.

Ds1 has been patched for his squint. and is still quite cross eyed, but they say not bad enough for surgery. not happy.
But don't fret OP. Seems awful initially, but it will be o.k.

Karoleann Wed 27-Oct-10 18:38:21

tjacksonpfc - I wouldn't worry, I wouldn't use drops for an asymptomatic 5 or 6 year old. We can do something called retinoscopy which we can ascertain the prescription without all the "is it clearer with one or two".
With children the test does tend to be quick - 15 mins max - I tend to bring children back if its taking longer than that.
Most children of that age are long sighted - I'd expect them to get a little less longsighted with time in a process called emmetropisation.

DBennett Wed 27-Oct-10 23:03:34

My understanding is that College of Optometry guidelines indicate that cycloplegic refraction would be standard practice in this age group.

I would have thought this requirement would have been highlighted by this being the first eye exam and the lack of accurate measurement of visual acuity.

SunshineDeb Tue 12-Feb-13 17:34:27

Can anyone help me to understand about lazy eyes please? I am so upset, my daughter has just developed a squint in her right eye, this has only just happened in the last 2 weeks. My daughter is 20 months old. Have been to an Opticians, and the outcome is she is long-sighted in both eyes (+5 in both eyes), and due to being longsighted has developed a slight intermittant squint in her right eye. They have said she needs to wear glasses all the time and for the rest of her life. They said if she doesnt wear her glasses all the time then the squint will get worse and she could lose her sight in that eye. I am currently at the stage (in a couple of days) of choosing her glasses. We are also being referred (to a hospital). Can anyone give me any advice at all about squints, whether this will get better in time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now