Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dh's swollen feet are leaking fluid.

(32 Posts)
misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:30:54

he has odemea(spelling) in his feet and ankles. the skin on his feet became ceacked and inflammed and has been treating it woth hydrocortisone 1% which has been helping. but now the worst foot is leaking fluid.

hunkermunker Sat 18-Jun-05 21:31:31

Oh, poor Peter!

Has he been told this might happen? Can he ring NHS Direct for advice on what to do?

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:33:06

not sure what to do. we knew about the odemea but not the sores and leaking.

Tipex Sat 18-Jun-05 21:33:43

oh misdee how awful. can he try elevating them to see if it helps at all?

Donbean Sat 18-Jun-05 21:34:14

This isnt unusual with oedema, any small puncture will allow the fluid to leak out and in large volumes too.
Can you elevate his feet (not above heart level) and put something absorbant under the leaky foot?

Flossam Sat 18-Jun-05 21:34:14

This does happen misdee. Your poor DH. Does the oedema look worse? If the surface is broken then all the fliud which makes up the oedema escapes. Try dressing it in dry absorbant non - adhesive dressings if you have any? NA dressings can be brought in the pharmacy, then pad up with surgipads, again in pharmacies I think and secure with bandage. If you are having problems finding it, ask the chemist. HTH.

strugstu Sat 18-Jun-05 21:34:41

good idea to get feet higher than his heart - if thats possible

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:35:10

it helps a bit. his dirutics have been increased to try and shift the fluid. he has clinic on monday.

Tipex Sat 18-Jun-05 21:35:24

if there is enough oedema it will start to leak thru any cracks. Compression can help also but perhaps shouldnt do this without having them checked. Must be careful not to get them infected tho if there are open cracks so watch ofr any cellulitis ie hot, red spreading skin or any temperature ect in him.

mummylonglegs Sat 18-Jun-05 21:35:42

Message deleted

Flossam Sat 18-Jun-05 21:36:25

Dressing the area should help protect against infection. Strugstu, why above heart level?

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:37:10

still on the list. has had 3 calls in april and may. nothing this month yet.

Donbean Sat 18-Jun-05 21:37:44

i wouldnt recommend above heart level TBH

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:38:28

havent got any dressingsd here and tbh i dont trust my own judgement on hoe tight to do them. will keep an eye out for tempt and hot spreading rash. his feet are so swollen not even his larger slippers fit atm.

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:39:06

he cant get his legs about heart level. they are up on the arm of the sofa atm.

Flossam Sat 18-Jun-05 21:41:53

Thats why I was asking DB! You could attach the surgipads (absorbant dressings) with tape if you prefer. Then you don't need to worry so much about doing it up too tight as much.

Donbean Sat 18-Jun-05 21:45:27

Possibly new research regarding reducing peripheral oedema????
Im not sure why Strugstu recommended this but id be interested to know.
(im so out of touch these days)

strugstu Sat 18-Jun-05 21:46:29

Did a course on management of arterial and venous leg ulcers. Taught by CNS raising the legs higher than the heart helps shift the oedema from the legs (as the fluid always settles at the lowest point)therefore alleviating the oedema as much as possible promotes wound healing (thats why multi layer compression works well on venous leg ulcers)- altho if u have heart problems can increase the strain on the heart and sorry i didnt realise missdees dh was on transplant list.

Flossam Sat 18-Jun-05 21:48:21

Whoops! Intersting about the other stuff though.

Donbean Sat 18-Jun-05 21:48:43

Oh i see, thanks.
I realy am very rusty since having ds so im always interested in new research etc.

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:50:56

the sores cover the whole of the top of the foot. will see if local chemist is open tomorrow so i can get some pads, but he has promised he will speak to harefield about it on monday.

Donbean Sat 18-Jun-05 21:53:25

Misdee, you will need lots of pads as you will be surprised how much volume can be lost from a leaky oedematous foot.

misdee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:57:02

thank you. just told dh what people ahev said and he just nodded at me lol.

strugstu Sat 18-Jun-05 21:58:42

misdee - can u ask gp to get the district nurse out tomorrow - although they dont have a huge amount of stock they may be able to put their hands on something- these things are very expensive at the chemist- they will also be able to give u good advice- they do a seven day a week service too.

hunkermunker Sun 19-Jun-05 19:42:23

Misdee, how is DH today?

Tipex Mon 20-Jun-05 18:22:03

how is he doing misdee?

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 18:31:30

he has been readmitted to harefield today. they were waiting for him and pounced as soon as he got to reception. good job too as dh was going to demand they keep him.

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 21:02:20

he has an infection in his leg. it can cause to ulcers etc so they are trying to find out what it is through swabs and blood tests, and treat ASAP.

mummylonglegs Mon 20-Jun-05 21:17:24

Message deleted

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 21:18:45

feeling pretty low atm. he is feeling good, which can only be a good thing really, but his blood pressure is dangerously low, as is his sodium and potassium levels. apparently with levels as low as his he should;ve been passing out all the time, which he hasnt.

Clementine Mon 20-Jun-05 21:25:21

Sorry to see you down in the doldrums Misdee. Hope things get better soon.

Flossam Tue 21-Jun-05 07:57:23

He sounds like quite a fighter Misdee. Hope he is well enough to be out soon. Make sure they look after those feet over there. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now