Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does Vicks First Defence actually work?

(13 Posts)
bluejeans Sat 31-Oct-09 08:27:48

I've been snorting it today and yesterday as DD has had a very sore throat and I've felt the beginning of a cold (although I always seem to when I'm around someone who has one!) Just wondering if anyone else tried it. It was on offer at superdrug the other week and thought it might be handy to have - was probably tempting fate!

nappyaddict Tue 19-Jan-10 09:41:46

Does it work if you only start taking it on day 2 of a cold? It's only £3.91 from Sainsbury's or Waitrose but cannot get there until this afternoon. Cold started yesterday morning.

AngryFromManchester Tue 19-Jan-10 09:43:42

I don't know but I have pluerisy following a really quite nasty virus (which started the end of nov <grim>) and I have been using sambucol for the last week and my god, it is fantastic. I feel like I have improved beyond belief in a week

nappyaddict Tue 19-Jan-10 14:00:07

Is this it? Can you buy it on the high street?

nappyaddict Tue 19-Jan-10 14:04:36

Hmm apparently it's £8.99 but 3 for 2 in Boots. Not sure I really need 3 bottles of the stuff though ...

brimfull Tue 19-Jan-10 14:17:58

Yes it worked for me , whole family had snotty colds and sore throats. I started snorting the stuff and despite sneezing most of it straight out it seemed to stop me getting the virus.
I was sceptical but whether it was just luck ot that I don't know

auntycam Tue 19-Jan-10 14:24:22

It works for me. Makes you sneeze violently but then the same day you feel better.

AngryFromManchester Tue 19-Jan-10 17:01:00

oh you will need 3 bottles of the stuff nappyaddict it goes quicker than you can say...well anything really!

nappyaddict Tue 19-Jan-10 18:29:44

Do you take it each day or just when you are ill?

brimfull Tue 19-Jan-10 21:37:09

you take it when you feel the first signs of a cold , then you squirt about 4x day for a few days

sugartits Tue 19-Jan-10 21:41:38

Doesn't it have zinc in it? I read something years ago about a study that proved if you took zinc at the first sign of a cold it reduced the symptoms. I bought a huge jar of zinc losenges (sp) from that expensive herbal company that I can't remember (this was pre children). Every time I thought I was getting a cold, I'd take a losenge a few times a day - I never got a full blown cold. Also zinc makes your hair grow, which was good at the time.

Dillie Tue 19-Jan-10 22:57:49

My colleague swears by it. Havent tried it myself, but I will give it a shot

Horton Tue 19-Jan-10 23:09:00

My dad thinks it is fabulous. I tried it once and accidentally sniffed as I was pressing the thing and it hurt so much I nearly wet myself. So, er, I have no idea if it works but DO NOT SNIFF WHEN YOU PUSH THE THING. Sorry for shouting. It hurts like nothing on earth. Like someone shoved a knitting needle up your nose only worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now