Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mastitis - but not pregnant/BF

(8 Posts)
Eve4Walle Sat 26-Sep-09 16:30:25

Can you get Mastitis without being pregnant or BF? What else could it be if not that?

TheOldestCat Sat 26-Sep-09 16:31:20

Sorry, I have no idea. But if you suspect it, I would get to the doctor to get some treatment or a diagnosis of something else.

Hope you feel better soon.

Eve4Walle Sat 26-Sep-09 16:33:10

Not me, a friend. She's on anti-biotics to see whether that'll sort the problem out, but her GP wasn't overly helpful and she's worried.

TheOldestCat Sat 26-Sep-09 16:43:55

If she is worried, can she go back to the doc's (or ring the out of hours service?). Poor thing; I've had it and it's rubbish. What helped me was having a warm bath and expressing a little, but if she's not BF that's not helpful.

Hope this bumps it for someone with more know-ho.

Whedonzgal Sat 26-Sep-09 16:45:42

Does she have a lump at all? If so tell her to INSIST on a proper biopsy or whatever. My aunt was treated for mastitis but it turned out to be cancer.

Eve4Walle Sat 26-Sep-09 17:39:20

No lump. But she's in a lot of discomfort and the GP insiting she take the Anti-Biotiics before they do anything is is worrying her. If they haven't made a difference in a week, she's to go back for 'tests' but GP was not forthcoming on what they are likely to be.

liliputlady Wed 07-Oct-09 11:02:38

A relative of mine has had an ongoing problem with this - had loads of antibiotics and finally an operation to remove the blocked ducts. It's been a right pain, but not life-threatening. I think it's a condition that mainly affects smokers, which she isn't.

Guad Wed 07-Oct-09 18:33:28

My friend had something like this when she wasn't pregnany or bf and it turned out to be cellulitis (sp?) or something. She needed some very strong abs. It can be quite bad I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now