Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cluster of pimples on my neck, over tender lymph glands

(12 Posts)
AvrilH Wed 16-Sep-09 13:18:01

Hey all, has anyone had this? I rarely get spots but suddenly have two small clusters of them, one on each side of my neck, over where I think my lymph glands are. That area feels v. tender.

I also feel a bit under the weather, achey, tired, irritable, and phlegmy but am otherwise well and have had no unusual food or medication.

Googling just brings me to links about Rubella, which I am sure it is not(had immunity checked while ttc). That has made me mildly concerned that I should find out what it is in case my 8 month old catches it, or I gave it to anyone at the baby and toddler groups I usually go to.

Thanks in advance smile

MrsPurple Wed 16-Sep-09 14:38:47

Hi

I have had a cold for about a week, and yesterday have got a few lumps on base of scalp at the back of head, thery're very tender and DH said they look like a bite, but I've not been biten. Does it sound similar?

I've also had rubella jab. I do remember when I got chicken pox in my teens and again in my 20's that the first spots were at base of scalp.

Let me know if you hear anything.

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 16-Sep-09 15:34:14

Are they pimples or more like small blisters?

I am thinking Shingles or (and my DH has had this on his neck)a cold sore?

It could well be shingles - I had exactly the same thing, on only on one side of my neck, and it turned out to be shingles. My glands were raised and the patch of skin was red, raised and bumpy and became very painful to touch. I would go to the GP about it as if it is shingles there is a tiny chance you could be infectious.

FWIW I didn't feel particularly ill either - just a bit under the weather and groggy.

3littlefrogs Wed 16-Sep-09 15:50:09

Another vote for shingles.

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 16-Sep-09 16:21:42

People can't catch shingles from someone with shingles BUT it is possible to catch chicken pox from someone infected with shingles if they have never had it.

Yes, that's what I meant! It's only a small risk but given that you have a baby yourself and are regularly coming into contact with other little ones I would definitely get it checked out as soon as you can.

AvrilH Wed 16-Sep-09 19:27:38

Thanks all, I'd best see a GP then. The rash seems to have almost gone on one side but is worse on the other - like small red raised pimples.

It does look almost exactly like this picture of shingles from wikipedia, though I am not a man and it is a bit higher up

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Herpes_zoster_neck.png/155px-Herpes_zoster_neck.pn g

Damn it. Last thing I need right now is my baby catching chicken pox, or anyone else's babies for that matter.

Have you got the same thing Mrs Purple?

KurriKurri Wed 16-Sep-09 20:26:43

I had shingles earlier this year, and they were very painful. If you think you might have them, I'd go to the doctor as quickly as possible, because if they get them early they can give you anti virals (which I had) so they clear up more quickly, I seem to remember they said they like to catch them in the first 72 hours. On the other hand, shingles tend to appear on one side not both, because they follow a nerve. HTH.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 18-Sep-09 10:23:19

Did you see the GP Avril?

AvrilH Sat 19-Sep-09 13:15:25

I could not get an appointment until Wednesday. Will let you know how I get on.

edd021208 Sat 19-Sep-09 15:20:11

shingles.....i had them right there in the neck too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now