Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

trapped wind - why does it happen and how can I stop getting it again, because it's painful!!

(17 Posts)

I have NO idea why I'm in so much pain, I'm presuming its trapped wind. I'm bloated and have horrible pains in my tummy.
How on Earth does trapped wind happen? How long does it last? I want to put a straw in my stomach to let the air escape!!

anybody...? its really painful!

HeadFairy Mon 24-Aug-09 22:14:41

Are you active enough? I know inactivity can cause constipation, I'm sure I get trapped wind when I don't move enough.

Lie on the floor and do that cycling thing when you prop yourself up on your shoulders with your arms and cycle your legs. Or take some Windeeze if you've got it.

clutteredup Mon 24-Aug-09 22:15:35

Drink hot water - that helps, also try to burp if you can - as for it no happening again....dunno - no more fizzy dinks too quickly? grin

Katymac Mon 24-Aug-09 22:18:44

Hot water bottle & sip hot water

Chalomine or peppermint tea is supposed to help but tbh I can never drink it when I am bad

dizzydixies Mon 24-Aug-09 22:21:22

you need to lie on your left side - don't ask me why but it works - am a fellow sufferer too sad

if, like me you hate peppermint tea, you can take peppermint cordial instead

try hot water with a slice of lemon first thing in the morning to help kick start your digestion

stay away from all beans/peas/pulses - they're NOT your friend and unfortunately garlic does it for me too even though I love it

I did have some particularly fizzy coke at my MIL's house on Sat night at a BBQ, but I've had pain since Sun morning. Haven't had fizzy pop for ages (been living on cranberry juice, yummy! so perhaps not used to the fizz anymore?)
Have got some windeeze, am going to take some more before bed. And try the cycle thing - luckily DH is out so I wont get questions as to why I look like a loon grin
Should the hot water be plain or something in it?
Thanks

dizzydixies Mon 24-Aug-09 22:24:18

Elf, just go straight to lying on left side, I promise it works like a charm

and walk away from fizzy pop!

Katymac Mon 24-Aug-09 22:26:41

I don't think it matters if you put anything in the hot water

It is the only time I have plain water I can't face any tastes

right, am off to bed to watch a film, will be lying on my left side - will report back tomorrow

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 24-Aug-09 22:36:12

I had this loads a few weeks ago.

Started taking the pro/prebiotic drinks daily and drinking peppermint tea.

Amazed at the difference.

dizzydixies Mon 24-Aug-09 23:03:23

good luck Elf - you have my deepest sympathies, tis not funny at all

oh and agree completely with brigitBigKnickers - one aptimel a day here too smile

ThingOne Tue 25-Aug-09 21:10:39

There's a good list of windy foods on wikipedia.

tulpe Thu 27-Aug-09 13:41:52

chamomile tea also has tummy/wind easing properties too - for those who don't like peppermint tea

Other thing which may help is laying on back and massaging abdominal area using firm strokes with the flat of your hand in a clockwise direction. That's the same direction your digestive system moves in so will help ease things along.

alypaly Sat 29-Aug-09 17:07:21

its not yur gall bladder is it.So many women have gall stones and just think its wind.My stomach bloated out like a tight drum and i cud hardly lie down. next thing i was in 6 months later havin gall bladder out. no problems since

PuppyMonkey Sat 29-Aug-09 17:10:55

I remember getting trapped wind so bad once I seriously thought I was dying. I could hardly breathe. The emergency doctor was just on his way out to me at 5am or something. Then I walked around a bit, bent down to touch my toes and did an enormous fart. Voila!! All gone.

I'm told Gaviscon helps sometimes too.

ThingOne Sat 29-Aug-09 19:10:09

Yes, moving around and lying on your left hand side definitely work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now