Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you can't take NSAIDs for pain/inflammation, what else is there apart from paracetamol?

(13 Posts)
EldonAve Mon 24-Aug-09 19:19:05

If you can't take NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for pain/inflammation, what else is there apart from paracetamol?

I will ask the GP of course

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Mon 24-Aug-09 19:20:17

TENS, aspirin, codeine

EldonAve Mon 24-Aug-09 19:23:37

Thanks, I'm not allowed aspirin but codeine sounds good

ThingOne Tue 25-Aug-09 21:05:18

You can take a drug called omeprazole to enable you to take NSAIDs. I get it on prescription but IIRC you can get it OTC too.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 25-Aug-09 21:44:50

I use a witch Hazel compress on inflamations that needs reducing. I stick to paracetamol generally but use the variety with caffine in as that makes the effect stronger. (could bore you with the science of why but wont) Watch out for codeine. Some people are allergic to codeine and it is addictive and you can very easily become codeine dependant (it happened to meover a 2 month period whilst waiting for knee surgery and not taking it every day or maximum dose).

Heat and cold compresses are also useful depending on the type of problem.
You willing to divulge area of problem /type (eg pain pain+inflam) could advise which i would use if you like but you have to get a feel for it.

Eg back problems = heat
knee swelling = witch Hazel compress and cold

it was more exciting for anthestiast when i had knee surgery. grin I think he hated me as i have issues with anathestia too. blush

EldonAve Tue 25-Aug-09 21:55:20

Thanks for the suggestions
I have hurt my back and would previously have taken diclofenac or ibuprofen

What is omeprazole? Does it just reduce gastric acid?

Witch hazel and heat sound good

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 25-Aug-09 22:03:16

Heat has always been best for my back - witch hazel tends to make it colder. Can you use external NSAIDs or are those off to? Movalate is good and less aspirin based the ibrufen gel stuff.

EldonAve Tue 25-Aug-09 22:07:04

All NSAIDs are out I believe as I have a blood clotting problem

Tramadol?

I take amyltriptaline for a bad back. Its actually an anti depressent but in smaller doses is very good for nerve pain. So if its nerve related it may be worth trying.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 25-Aug-09 22:10:26

Stripy interesting as i took Amyltrip for migrains.
EldonAve - i have issues with blood pressure. Anything that thins/lowers bp and i fall <splat> but can manage a tiny bit on the surface. It might be worth asking.

Heated Tue 25-Aug-09 22:16:48

Omeprazole has had nastier side effects than the NSAIDs it's said to protect against.

Am well aware results aren't conclusive but I hope to gain some benefit from taking glucosamine & chondroitin for joint pain and inflammation.

Heated Tue 25-Aug-09 22:17:44

sorry, that first bit should say - nastier side effects for me

nellie12 Tue 25-Aug-09 22:22:46

heat wraps are fantastic even better than brufen and I never thought I'd say that but I had to use one as I was getting desperate one day and now I'm evangelical about them.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now