Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Watery 'thin' period

(11 Posts)
claireybee Sat 25-Jul-09 20:58:07

My period this month is really strange, it came bang on time and felt like normal but it's really watery. The blood is bright red but looks almost like it's been mixed with water and thinned down. I'm leaking out of mooncup despite it not being full (mooncup has NEVER leaked for me before) and am soaking a pad as well, the blood is red on the pad but then kind of spreads out to leave a watermark. Every now and then I feel a gush and more comes out.

My last few periods have been fairly light and the blood has been mainly in clots-this month there have been no clots so far (day 3).

Any idea why this could be? Is it normal? (haven't had that many periods over the past few years so can't really remember how they used to be)

whomovedmychocolatestarfish Sun 26-Jul-09 16:01:11

Have you done a pregnancy test? shock

Also are you perimenopausal, your periods can be weird during the year before the menopause.

Finally it's worth saying that for six months after your periods come back post birth - which for me is just recently after a three plus year gap for pregnancies and breastfeeding - they are very weird and unpredictable!!!!

But it does sound like a pregnancy bleed rather than a period to me - sorry! Perhaps you could do a test?

claireybee Mon 27-Jul-09 15:45:49

No haven't tested but I am 99.9% sure that I couldn't even be pregnant.

I hope I'm not perimenopausal, am only 28!

Maybe it's just strange breastfeeding period...

harrigeorge Tue 14-Sep-10 07:20:25

i notice this was last year, just wondering what ur result was, and if it might have been hormonal eg. pill or implant.

i ask because this is happening exactly the same to me, although i am using the implanon contraceptive implant which has done some weird things to me already so i figured it might have been something to do with that.

i'm only 25 so my research of early menopause was alarming but kind of not plausable in my mind, it's only been 4 days so i haven't had it checked out cos my implanon weirdness usually sorts itself out in a few days, however i would like to know what u found about your situation, as mine is so alike

hopefully it all worked out fine

harrigeorge Tue 14-Sep-10 07:20:45

i notice this was last year, just wondering what ur result was, and if it might have been hormonal eg. pill or implant.

i ask because this is happening exactly the same to me, although i am using the implanon contraceptive implant which has done some weird things to me already so i figured it might have been something to do with that.

i'm only 25 so my research of early menopause was alarming but kind of not plausable in my mind, it's only been 4 days so i haven't had it checked out cos my implanon weirdness usually sorts itself out in a few days, however i would like to know what u found about your situation, as mine is so alike

hopefully it all worked out fine

JJMAM Mon 11-Oct-10 17:02:18

Hi harrigeorge
I was hoping you'd had a response.
My periods have been strange in the last 3 months but only bothered me this month when those exact gushing and watery symptoms occured, now I have just started my 2nd period only 2 weeks after the last one started.
I've had pain using tampons since my cycle started again 10 months ago and a failed smear due to excruciating pain before that.

With no sex since February (that was the only time since conceving DS in 2008!) I am 100% not pregnant. I know I should go back to the nurse but how do you justify the time!
Hope you're sorted out.
X

anjii Sat 06-Nov-10 19:49:25

I am also 3 days into a VERY watery, BRIGHT red period, with far less cramping than usual. I have endometriosis, but this is not a normal period for me, despite that. I've also had a suspicion that I might have some kind of ovarian cyst for the last few months, and was thinking maybe it ruptured with this period, but I've heard that that's usually associated with extreme pain, which I don't have. I'd love to know what the OP ended up finding out...

tiff22 Tue 15-Mar-11 00:28:27

hey im 22 i was two days late but came on to but this time its bright red and watery its not loads of blood but a bit

Emily404 Tue 24-Apr-12 10:14:48

-ANJII please tell me you found something out!??

beanified Mon 14-Jul-14 00:19:12
lorr1e1 Thu 17-Jul-14 09:35:08

Hi i'm new to this site, i too have been having bright red, thin-watercolour type period.
I'm 36 i have been for an ultrasound as doctor think i have fibroids i'm waiting on my test results next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now