Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible to have 'flu' without cold/sneezes etc.

(7 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 23-Feb-09 16:35:01

I feel like total cack atm. Achey, shivery, sooo tired, no energy, skin is sore and dry. Running 4 miles nearly killed me yesterday. I have a sniffle and a slightly runny nose but nothing more than that.

mrsgboring Mon 23-Feb-09 16:43:29

I think unless it escalates to lots of snot and sneezing fairly soon it's not 'flu, but definitely sounds like something unpleasant. You poor thing. (Am suffering too but mine is only a cold exacerbated by pregnancy)

By no means flu expert or anything though, except I've had it twice and it's a box of tissues a day at least.

Bucharest Mon 23-Feb-09 16:48:14

Highly possible. I've had flu twice in my life, once at 5 and once at 33 and neither time did I have typical cold symptoms. I had a fever, ached all over with a weakness so awful that I couldn't get out of bed, a racking cough, but no snotty episodes at all.

If you're my dp however, every sniffle is of course, flu at least, bronchial pneumonia if he gets to the point of needing a lemsip.

MissisBoot Mon 23-Feb-09 16:51:35

I had this recently - took me a good 10 days to get back to feeling like normal. Achey, fever, coughing but no snot!

OrmIrian Mon 23-Feb-09 17:07:53

Thanks.

I just want a reason to ring work and skive TBH blush. I hate this something and nothing sort of thing. Don't want to struggle in (especially as we have no car atm and it's a 30 min walk) but dread telling my workaholic boss that I' feeling 'a bit under the weather' hmm

Pinkchampagne Mon 23-Feb-09 20:54:08

Yes it is very possible to have flu without any cold symptoms. People often associate the flu with colds or mistake made colds for flu, which I did until I actually caught proper flu (now know I have only had flu properly the once) & felt like death warmed up, but no cold symptoms at all. I was laid out in bed for 10 days with a raging temperature, no energy, achey, coughing (as also had chest infection), terrible night sweats & no appetite at all. I felt so so poorly & the doctor came out & told me it was flu & chest infection. I was too ill to even get out of bed & care for my children, so had to rely on others to do it...awful!
Hope you feel better soon.

Pinkchampagne Mon 23-Feb-09 20:55:36

Meant to put "mistake bad colds for flu" Goodness knows where the "made" came from!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now