Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

How early can you detect a heartbeat at a scan?

(17 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 10:03:09

Have previously had a mmc so I have a scan booked for 7 weeks Monday week. Would it be best to wait until I am 8 weeks pg? TIA

belgo Sun 22-Feb-09 10:07:22

Usually it's six weeks.

I also had a miscarriage so I wanted an early scan to make sure all was going well. I asked for one at 8 weeks, as you should definitely be able to see a heart beat by then, and if you do, and all is going well with the pregnancy, the chances are very high that all will continue to go well.

Good luck.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 10:54:56

Thanks Belgo.

PortAndLemon Sun 22-Feb-09 11:13:20

I've been told it's not worth booking a scan before 6+2 as you are very unlikely to see a heartbeat before then. By 7 weeks if all is well you're quite likely to see a heartbeat, but if there isn't one it doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem -- they'd probably want to rescan a week or two weeks later in that case.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 11:58:36

Thanks PortAndLemon.

You should be ok to see a heartbeat at 7 weeks. My first pregnancy was IVF so got an early scan - saw a heartbeat at 5 + 5 but that was v early. Normally 6 weeks + is ok. Good luck!

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 13:21:47

Thanks hairygodmother.

blinks Sun 22-Feb-09 14:43:43

got one at 6 weeks +5 with DD1

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 17:39:09

Thanks Blinks.

Nabster Sun 22-Feb-09 17:47:42

I had a flashing heartbeat at 6 + something with one baby and they were unsure about the other.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 22-Feb-09 18:41:17

Thanks Nabster.

Pheebe Sun 22-Feb-09 20:42:04

DS1 - 5 weeks and 2 days !!!!

mortica Sun 22-Feb-09 21:27:44

I had an internal scan at 7wks that was v clear. Mine also due to an miscarriage with 1st pg.

xtineenie Tue 14-Jan-14 00:01:31

Can I ask, what does 5 + 2 mean? I conceived on or around 7 Dec. had early scan today because of bleeding and cramps, but they said too early to tell? The midwife said she could see a flicker, but very non committal. They told us it was best possible picture for how far along I am..

Matildathecat Tue 14-Jan-14 12:19:07

Xtineenie, your cycle and dating works like this:

1st day of your last period (LMP) is day one
So if you have a regular 28 day cycle you will conceive around day 14.
So 5+2 means that's how long since your LMP, and 3+2 since conception.

If the dating scan disagrees with this then the scan dates are used (unless you are absolutely certain of conception ie IVF. The date of conception is always week 2 though.)
So 40 weeks which is 'your due date' is actually 38 weeks from conception.
(Full term is actually 37-42 weeks).

Hope that helps. Try the pregnancy boards for more info.

Good luck

toffeelolly Tue 14-Jan-14 14:46:27

Went for scan at 7weeks, could not find a heartbeat thought I had lost baby , they told me to come back a week later at 8weeks and great news they said there was a good strong heartbeat. Doctor told me sometimes it can be 8weeks before they can pick up a heartbeat.

GinSoakedMisery Tue 14-Jan-14 14:49:50

I had internal scans with first two pregnancies at 7 weeks and saw heartbeats and what looked like little prawns.

5 + 2 is 5 weeks and 2 days

Only on mn have I heard people refer to how many days they are pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now