Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Itchy chest, neck and sides of face - what could it be?

(17 Posts)
rosealbie Tue 25-Nov-08 11:20:17

I've had an itchy rash for about a week now which comes and goes and is only on my chest, neck and face. The areas are also hot.

It's most itchy around my jawline and although it comes up red, I can only see one or two pimply spots. My cheeks are also red and it seems to come up more when I have eaten, also in the evening and I wake up with it too.

My ears are beginning to itch this morning.

What could it be? It doens't seem to be connected with any particular food and i'm not allergic to anything I know of.

shitehawk Tue 25-Nov-08 11:25:17

Have you changed your washing powder, soap, bubble bath or anything in the past couple of weeks?

rosealbie Tue 25-Nov-08 11:27:08

No nothing that I can think of. It's really odd.

rosealbie Tue 25-Nov-08 12:05:07

Any other suggestions please?

Itch, itch, itch

countingto10 Tue 25-Nov-08 12:35:55

Have you taken some some Priton/anti-histamines (sp?) ? I have this - I became very sensitive to things whilst pregnant with DS4. Massive reactio to a face cream I used (swollen, closed eyes etc). Now, my neck and chest becomes very itchy from time to time (maybe stress/pollen etc) and I found priton etc helps.

rosealbie Tue 25-Nov-08 12:45:21

I did try some the other day but did fell very drowsy after taking it. I'm not sure if it helped either, I do need to try it for longer.

My skin did become sensitive after dd was born for a while but that was 4 and a half years ago and its not been affected again until now.

countingto10 Tue 25-Nov-08 13:10:38

You can get non-drowy ones and ones where you can also drink alcohol grin - needed these for my brithday party and had a reaction to the Fake Bake I had done specially for the party shock (they had done a patch test first as well).

rosealbie Tue 25-Nov-08 13:13:46

Thanks, I will try a non-drowsy one, we had Piriton in the medicine cabinet already smile

smlljsprsn Mon 30-Mar-09 01:05:02

I get exactly the same thing, even the severe itching around the jawline, and it lasts about 2 days. My face looks burned - as though I've spent an hour on a sunbed. I just wake up some mornings and its there. Wasn't sure what wwas causing it but have noticed the past 2 times it happened I took an evening primrose oil supplement and multivitamin the evening before (a new brand I've not tried before - mean to take every day but keep forgetting). Driving me mad.

roaringkate Tue 15-Jan-13 17:05:18

helloooo rosealbie - did you get this diagnosed ever? I have itching on my chest, neck, jaw and the sides of my face. No discernible redness (unless I scratch), itches more when get in shower/it gets hot. All bizarre. Starting to avoid moisturiser to see if it makes any difference but no impact so far...
Any suggestions appreciated.

schnickelfritz Mon 01-Apr-13 15:01:18

I have this just as described by roaringkate. About a week now. Intense itching of neckline - collarbone to jawline. No rash, ruled out products, etc. Would love to know what you learned!

Thanks.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:04

I was just about to post the same in a new thread. I feel mine is being made worse by the constant cold weather/wind/central heating cycle.
Mine was so bad today I look like a beet root, and ended up spending a small fortune on skin products at john Lewis. I wondered if mine was rosacea. I also wonder if there is a link with the mirena as I think mine may be cyclical?

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 02-Apr-13 13:13:42

Could be rosacea.
Mine erupted yesterday after being clear for nearly a year. I have the face and neck from hell...dozens of tiny pustules, bright red face, itchy and sore. I normally get it in heat but think this happened after a bracing walk on Sunday.
I had to go out this morning as Dd was having highlights for the first time...felt like the elephant man.
I have civered it with concealer and foundation, but now I'm home will have to take it off.

Dermatoligist last year put me on 12 weeks of antibiotics. I think it's hormone related as I've only had it the last couple of years since being perimenopausal.

It is a bastard.

Seashell123 Sat 02-Nov-13 04:07:57

I have an itch face and neck mainly at night. I wondered if it could be ice cream.

Seashell123 Sun 09-Mar-14 03:31:56

Do for game me Dermol Cream to use both as a cream and as a face cleaner....no soap. This eventually worked.....but my nightly neck and jaw itch at night ....is back. Any ideas?

Bunbaker Sun 09-Mar-14 19:52:23

Could it be impetigo?

DD has just had it and had some antibiotic cream from the doctor. It is very contagious.

Twighlightsparkle Sun 09-Mar-14 20:16:57

Slapped cheek?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now