Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pulled elbow in a toddler?

(20 Posts)
Indigochild Sat 29-Dec-12 16:20:21

My little girl, now 19 months old, has had pulled elbow twice, and the elbow now seems to be a very weak spot. The first time it happened was when I was playing with her and swinging her around, as you do with children, and an ambulance got her to A&E within 40 minutes and they popped it right back with one motion and sent us home. The second time (two days ago) she pulled it out herself trying to climb over the stairgate! I rang for an ambulance and they said it wasn't an emergency (!?)....I was told it would take up to 3 hours to get someone out to us, which is ridiculous! So I ended up googling the procedure and put it back myself. Incredibly scary, and I was in floods of tears the whole time. Thankfully she is okay now! No thanks to the 'emergency' services, which I then had to ring and tell them to forget about the ambulance!. What I want to know, is there anything my child can wear to perhaps prevent this happening again? Maybe to give extra support to the joint?

Also, as Pulled elbow happens because the joint is immature, I'm guessing this is something the child grows out of??

chipmonkey Sat 22-Nov-08 23:36:46

ds1 got this a load of times! I think he must have had particularly loose elbows as we're not all that rough as a family!grin And <<<whispers>>>> at BIL's wedding I popped it back in myself as I coudln't drive him to A + E as had drunk too much! I had watched the doctor and just copies what she didblush It worked though!

gigglewitch Sat 22-Nov-08 22:44:03

just popped back in to get an update. Glad she is ok. don't be surprised if she complains of aching in the arm for a couple of days, a bit of baby nurofen should keep her comfortable smile

jollyholly Fri 21-Nov-08 22:44:34

Glad she's OK. Happened to my dd2 - swinging her between my dad and me, as I had done to me a million times as a child... the guilt's the worst!

castille Fri 21-Nov-08 22:37:25

DH is an A&E doc and says pulling a small child up by its arm(s) alone is a huge no-no, and this includes swinging a child between 2 adults. Pulled elbow is extremely common in toddlers, because people don't know how fragile their little elbows are

Glad your DD is oksmile

Amapoleon Fri 21-Nov-08 22:31:54

This used to happen to my dd quite often. The docor said that she would grow out of it.

Danae Fri 21-Nov-08 22:29:15

Message withdrawn

Danae Fri 21-Nov-08 22:26:15

Message withdrawn

emma1977 Fri 21-Nov-08 20:35:10

A&E

Easy to pop back in.

PortAndLemon Fri 21-Nov-08 20:21:59

A&E. Not uncommon at this age and a trained professional can pop it straight back in, but it REALLY hurts until they do.

EffiePerine Fri 21-Nov-08 20:20:53
EffiePerine Fri 21-Nov-08 20:19:35

A&E. Happened to DS, they just popped it back in. It's really common in young children, so don't feel bad

gigglewitch Fri 21-Nov-08 20:18:34

two of my dc have had the thing medics called a 'pulled elbow'. Basically a ligament twangs round the bone. not far off a dislocation, and obv very painful. Drs at a&e can put it back.
The child is likely to hold their arm in to their body, perhaps protecting with their other arm. Defo A&E, x-rays and treatment asap.

bambi06 Fri 21-Nov-08 20:16:08

im afraid i would take her straight to A&E..my ds pulled my dd`s arm when she was little and she cried and wouldnt move it..at the hospital they said she`d dislocated it and it was very common in young toddlers because theyre joints are very loose still

littleducks Fri 21-Nov-08 20:15:35

might be worth giving her a dose of calpol so when they examine her it is less painful

(only useful thing nhs direct ever suggested)

suncream Fri 21-Nov-08 20:15:28

Aw bless her. Has she had some paracetamol?
Sounds like a pulled elbow, which is where one of the forearm bones (the radius) comes out of its loop of ligament that is holding it in place near the elbow.
I'd take her to A&E tonight (I know, easily said when I'm sat in a nice warm house with dd asleep), they might want to xray it then they may be able to put it back tonight (simple twist on the forearm by doc can sometimes do it).

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 21-Nov-08 20:13:58

A&E my friend dislocated her 2 year old daughters shoulder because her daughter was having a tantrum and decided to sit down suddenly in the street my friend didn't let go quickly enough.

trip to A&E they popped it back in - it hurt for a couple of days but the more long lasting was my friends feeling of guilt... could have happened so easily to me many times

Elbow may have popped out.

My friend (the surgery nurse shock) did this to her daughter hauling her around tesco during a tantrum.

A and e asap, poor little thing.

AmIWhatAndWhy Fri 21-Nov-08 20:11:31

A%E for sure, could be a dislocated shoulder?

Danae Fri 21-Nov-08 20:09:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now