Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'Getting the snip' - If your husband has had this whats the procedure on getting it done, how long do you have to wait etc ... ?

(24 Posts)
EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Wed 05-Nov-08 09:21:52

We have decided to do this and was wondering what the next step is?

GP?

Is it him that decides if we can go ahead or not?

How long is the waiting list?

Thanks

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Wed 05-Nov-08 09:35:26

And will he have to 'see anyone' because he is young? I think we have a very strong case for it though.

PandaG Wed 05-Nov-08 09:40:12

DH went to GP's - got a referral to the clinic at the hospital.

Had to go in for a video and chat - I went too, but was not necessary for partner to attend - I think they would do the snip for single men too so your fears re age shouldn't be a problem.

We then had to wait for the appointment for the op, didn't take very long - but I know from friends that the timespan can vary from place to place

HTH

my dh is in the list for the 'snip' hes 40 so no question about his age but he was asked if he was sure he didn;t want anymore children. he said most def not. we alreayd have three and have suffered 3 m/c in the last year (after never having had one previous to having the dc)

so he was given a number to call and be placed on the waitign list, however 6 months laterr we're still waiting!

bronze Wed 05-Nov-08 09:48:13

DH is booked in for his at the end of this month. Hes just turned 33. He booked it about 8-10 weeks ago and they gave him a date almost straight away. He had to chat to his gp but was referred and then had to have a chat with the surgeon. I think the more children you have at a young age the easier it is to get them to agree.

PuppyMonkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:49:19

DP has just had it done. He went to GP in April, got refered for a session at the clinic almost immediately. They told him all the ins and outs and asked if he was really sure etc etc. I didn't go to either of these appointments.

He asked for a date after the summer hols as we were all going to be mad busy. They agreed and he had his op at beginning of October. In and out in half an hour. Recovery absolutley fine. Bit sore for two weeks... back to normal after. He has to have 25 ejaculations grin and then his sample gets sent off to be analysed to see if all the little blighters are gone. Then I can come off the farking pill.... yippeee...

TurkeyLurkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:50:34

Yes, make an appointment with GP. They should give you an idea of how long the waiting list is for NHS. Ours was quite long and I couldn't bear the thought of contraception/getting pregnant so we asked the GP for a private referal and DH was snipped the next week!

He had a meeting with the doc performing the op couple of days before the op who had a feel of his goolies. Then he went in a couple of days later, in and out in a couple of hours. He was fine after, bit of light rest, no heavy work etc, then he was fine.

We had to wait for the pipes to clear for a few good weeks after. He had to wank <sorry> into a pot and take it to the hospital for analysis. They then send you a certificate of all clear (or not!).

bronze Wed 05-Nov-08 09:52:30

Forgot to say as his spouse I had to sign a form saying I agreed to it.

PuppyMonkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:54:24

Did you bronze? I never even got asked my opinion - but we aren't married, would that be why?

TurkeyLurkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:56:12

25 ejaculations puppymonkey? Are you sure your DH wasn't winding you up about that one?! I'm sure the doc told us it didn't matter about the amount of spurts, more the length of time.

pagwatch Wed 05-Nov-08 09:56:19

my DH went private too. he was 35 but we were definately finished and he really hated condoms and really didn't want me to be on the pill.
He had an appt withing two weeks. it took half an hour. he was fine just a little sore for a few days.

easy peasy

TurkeyLurkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:57:55

Warning Alert!!!!Don't shag until you get the all clear. My friend did and now has a 2 year old to show for it.......

PuppyMonkey Wed 05-Nov-08 09:59:44

No he deffo said it's got to be 25 ejaculations! I was feeling a bit under pressure about it actually grin

TurkeyLurkey Wed 05-Nov-08 10:01:19

LOL, I would to. Think I would have to leave him to it with his Land Rover Monthly Magazines grin

PuppyMonkey Wed 05-Nov-08 10:02:21

Oh, I have been for the most part! We have a very comfortable shed out there.. grin

loopylou6 Wed 05-Nov-08 10:13:05

my dh has had it done and he is only 26 although we started our family at 16 lol, gp referred us, chat with the lady who carried out the procedure, then appointment for a couple of months later, the operation in itself was very quick and relatively painless, although dh complained about the smell of them burning his tubes grin he had small amount of swelling and bruising but recoveryw as very quick and he was suprisingly un-babyish about it lol

ronshar Wed 05-Nov-08 10:22:34

I am having this dicussion with DH. He wants to have it done as def no more children for us. But he seems very reluctant to make GP appointment.

Could I ask roughly how much the op is if done privately?

RubyRioja Wed 05-Nov-08 10:29:31

We keep meaning to get around to this. I am sure we don't want anymore, but as a friend found she was pg 6 months after the op, I have cold feet about trusting it. I know it is the safest thing, but it was about the year before I could trust the pill!

TurkeyLurkey Wed 05-Nov-08 12:58:28

ronshar - iirc I think it was about £400 privately, but that was 5 years ago.

My dh had it done about two years ago. He only had to wait a couple of months.

Re the procedure, I went with him to the clinic and when we went into the little room, we wondered what the funny smell was. Then we found out. They give the bloke an injection to numb the area, then they get a laser knife and burn the tube that goes from the testes to the penis, stick a stitch in it and bobs your uncle. Dh went home, went to bed with two pairs of pants on and a bag of frozen peas in between. He stayed in bed the next day (doctors advise) and then he was up and about the next day and back to work.

We've heard horror stories from friends but we reckon its cos they didn't rest properly.

I held his hand whilst they did it - after all, look at the pain he put me through - twice !

Sidge Wed 05-Nov-08 13:41:33

My DH saw his MO and was referred to the hospital, he had it done within 3 months. He then was told to provide samples after 24 ejaculations which they said was about 4 months (ha! more like 2 years of sex for us. I told him to get going himself...)

Unfortunately his op didn't work and he is currently waiting to have it redone. I had stopped using contraception so we were very lucky blush

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Thu 06-Nov-08 09:23:33

Ooh sidge thats not good!

I think I will get him to book an appointment with the GP!

bronze Thu 06-Nov-08 10:25:36

Puppy- No idea I can only assume its that or that different regions do it differently.

BCNS Thu 06-Nov-08 11:03:38

Just want to say that.. on going to the docs the other day I was asked if I might be preggers.. " no" I said "he's had the snip".

doc" well test anyway as I've had 3 pregnant women in my life time as a gp who's partners had the snip" hmm

I looked a bit shocked .. and she said " mind you none of them had waited for the all clear first"

PLEASE make sure that you get the sample off and wait for the results to come back when you go for this.

BTW we only waited a couple of months on NHS to get this done.. the procedure only took about 10 mins .. and dh was back to normal and not sore after about a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now