Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Which contraceptive is most effective at STOPPING periods all together ???

(38 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sat 18-Oct-08 23:30:44

I know the injection is one, as I had it before, and swore i'd never ever have it again, but I cannot put up with this period pain any longer.

I am currently on the pill and only having a break every 3 mths because of the severe pains I get, but I have just had enough, I don't want the pain at all, I cannot function properly in this state.

If I don't reply it is because I have gone to bed with a hot water bottle.

mamadiva Mon 20-Oct-08 08:23:55

Again like other people DON'T USE DEPO!

It is used to chemically castrate sex offenders in the US so not good! I was put on the injection to stop very painful periods when I was 16, luckily I didn't have any probelms getting pregnant but I did end up with an allergic reaction which caused my Eczema mad as it sounds but the doctor did tell me that, and I put ona lot of weight.

I have had the Implanon implant for the past 2 years and it is fab, no side effects that I know of anyway!

Seona1973 Mon 20-Oct-08 13:11:54

I put on tons of weight with the depo and bled constantly for months. I now use cerazette and havent bled for a year now.

ninavetnurse Wed 10-Apr-13 13:25:17

Hey Im Maya 21, I am so glad i have joined this site.
Ive been reading that the mirena works well?

I am in this no trust atm because i have the nexplanion and i bleed, alot. Seriously now for 3 months, non stop... emotional, a wreck,.....

I just want somthing that i dont have this really off putting period or by luck none at all..

I didnt know that it would be this bad, even if i sound negative but omg!!! its all the time pads... :S

cerazette all the way for me smile

Been taking it for a few years with no breaks, never bled, never put on weight, no snapping peoples heads off at the time I would have been having a period, just brilliantgrin

Hope you find the right treatment for you smile

Mirena, haven't had a period for years, BUT I'm having it taken out on Friday as I don't like the other side effects.

Mamuss Mon 15-Apr-13 20:57:30

Cerazette works for me

girliefriend Mon 15-Apr-13 21:02:06

Omg I have just gone cold reading that about the depo injection. I had it once and bled heavily for 3 months to the point of needing medication to stop bleeding. That was about 3 years ago now and I don't think my periods have ever been the same since.

Had no idea that it could effect my fertility sad I would like to think I could have another baby at some point.

pmgkt Mon 15-Apr-13 21:11:36

Carezzete made me bleed constantly for months, but as I was feeding at the time I was a bit limited.

What reasons did they say for having the break every 3 months?

UtterflyButterfly Tue 16-Apr-13 12:15:43

I used a Mirena for years and had no side effects - mummytowillow what problems did you have? The first couple of months after it was put in I had some bleeding but it soon settled down, and my periods stopped completely after about 4 months. I think it was great, but a friend had heavier periods with it, so it's obviously not for everyone.

Chocaholics Tue 16-Apr-13 13:31:37

Cerazette. I have never had a period when using it and no other side effects either. Is brilliant as use to get bad period pains and heavy flow.

INeedtoDrinkLess Tue 16-Apr-13 13:41:30

has anyone out there switched from cerazette to mirena? that's what I'm about to do.

I am on cerazette (past 2.5 months) and bleed a lot on it. Will mirena be different? Please say yes, fed up with periods.

Madsometimes Tue 16-Apr-13 17:23:29

I would love to know the answer to this. I'm nearly 10 months into Mirena and still having quite heavy periods. Lighter than before but can still flood a pad in a couple of hours. Definitely not spotting.

I don't think any progesterone contraception will get rid for me. I'm a bleeder.

INeedtoDrinkLess Wed 17-Apr-13 07:46:29

Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now