Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Which contraceptive is most effective at STOPPING periods all together ???

(38 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sat 18-Oct-08 23:30:44

I know the injection is one, as I had it before, and swore i'd never ever have it again, but I cannot put up with this period pain any longer.

I am currently on the pill and only having a break every 3 mths because of the severe pains I get, but I have just had enough, I don't want the pain at all, I cannot function properly in this state.

If I don't reply it is because I have gone to bed with a hot water bottle.

mamadiva Mon 20-Oct-08 08:23:55

Again like other people DON'T USE DEPO!

It is used to chemically castrate sex offenders in the US so not good! I was put on the injection to stop very painful periods when I was 16, luckily I didn't have any probelms getting pregnant but I did end up with an allergic reaction which caused my Eczema mad as it sounds but the doctor did tell me that, and I put ona lot of weight.

I have had the Implanon implant for the past 2 years and it is fab, no side effects that I know of anyway!

Seona1973 Mon 20-Oct-08 13:11:54

I put on tons of weight with the depo and bled constantly for months. I now use cerazette and havent bled for a year now.

ninavetnurse Wed 10-Apr-13 13:25:17

Hey Im Maya 21, I am so glad i have joined this site.
Ive been reading that the mirena works well?

I am in this no trust atm because i have the nexplanion and i bleed, alot. Seriously now for 3 months, non stop... emotional, a wreck,.....

I just want somthing that i dont have this really off putting period or by luck none at all..

I didnt know that it would be this bad, even if i sound negative but omg!!! its all the time pads... :S

cerazette all the way for me smile

Been taking it for a few years with no breaks, never bled, never put on weight, no snapping peoples heads off at the time I would have been having a period, just brilliantgrin

Hope you find the right treatment for you smile

Mirena, haven't had a period for years, BUT I'm having it taken out on Friday as I don't like the other side effects.

Mamuss Mon 15-Apr-13 20:57:30

Cerazette works for me

girliefriend Mon 15-Apr-13 21:02:06

Omg I have just gone cold reading that about the depo injection. I had it once and bled heavily for 3 months to the point of needing medication to stop bleeding. That was about 3 years ago now and I don't think my periods have ever been the same since.

Had no idea that it could effect my fertility sad I would like to think I could have another baby at some point.

pmgkt Mon 15-Apr-13 21:11:36

Carezzete made me bleed constantly for months, but as I was feeding at the time I was a bit limited.

What reasons did they say for having the break every 3 months?

UtterflyButterfly Tue 16-Apr-13 12:15:43

I used a Mirena for years and had no side effects - mummytowillow what problems did you have? The first couple of months after it was put in I had some bleeding but it soon settled down, and my periods stopped completely after about 4 months. I think it was great, but a friend had heavier periods with it, so it's obviously not for everyone.

Chocaholics Tue 16-Apr-13 13:31:37

Cerazette. I have never had a period when using it and no other side effects either. Is brilliant as use to get bad period pains and heavy flow.

INeedtoDrinkLess Tue 16-Apr-13 13:41:30

has anyone out there switched from cerazette to mirena? that's what I'm about to do.

I am on cerazette (past 2.5 months) and bleed a lot on it. Will mirena be different? Please say yes, fed up with periods.

Madsometimes Tue 16-Apr-13 17:23:29

I would love to know the answer to this. I'm nearly 10 months into Mirena and still having quite heavy periods. Lighter than before but can still flood a pad in a couple of hours. Definitely not spotting.

I don't think any progesterone contraception will get rid for me. I'm a bleeder.

INeedtoDrinkLess Wed 17-Apr-13 07:46:29

Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now