Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why would my periods stop in the middle for 24 hours?

(19 Posts)
WilfSell Mon 18-Aug-08 10:58:53

That's it really. It has been like this for the last few years (at least since second baby but possibly before, can't remember). Now after third baby seems more pronounced than ever.

After the second day, my period just stops, completely, for between 12-24 hours. Then it starts again, lighter but still 'normal'. It does then 'go on' somewhat for some days, gradually getting sparser and brown and yucky. Even drags on somewhat.

Is this something I should worry about do you think? It is odd and wasn't always like this so I'd like to understand why... Any ideas?

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:01:25

Mine have usually been like that, it's like your body is playing games with you, you think it's all over and put away the tampons/pads etc for another month... and oops here comes a little bit more to piss you off! I figured it was all normal.

forevercleaning Mon 18-Aug-08 11:02:31

yep has happened to me on numerous occasions. no idea why, just when you think it is all over....and put those light coloured trousers on...!

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:03:32

or your nice non period pants... gah!

titchy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:03:53

Oh mine do that too. Every month. Do I learn? No. Each month I am lulled into a false sense of security thinking 'Oh good that one only lasted a couple of days'. Then on day 3 or 4 - another splurge... very annoying!

maidamess Mon 18-Aug-08 11:05:49

Mine does this too...I figured it was because I have a bicornate uterus which means two chambers.

So the first one bleeds, then the second.

But if you're all saying it too, perhaps I'm wrong?

Its a reet pain though isn't it? I can never get the timimg of the second bit right.

forevercleaning Mon 18-Aug-08 11:06:27

actually its funny really how we all have those pants for that time of the month. Mine are huge black ones!

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:07:37

Mine are the ones I wore post cs... giant black belly warmers...hmmm sexy!

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:08:51

maidamess - can I ask how you found out about your bicornate uterus?

forevercleaning Mon 18-Aug-08 11:11:16

yes i was wondering that. perhaps we all have them, i may even have 3 as mine have done stop start stop start for 2 weeks before!

maidamess Mon 18-Aug-08 11:12:22

I found out when I was in the delivery room having child number one!

I was never able to use tampons successfully, they always leaked. Upon investigation they discovered I had two vaginal canals! Aren't I lucky.

They snipped the septum that divided them (ouch) and out my daughter came.

maidamess Mon 18-Aug-08 11:13:26

They scanned me to see if I had two of everything! Luckily not.

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:24:10

oh... I've wondered since I had ds. He was breech for as long as I could feel him. Everyone kept saying "he'll turn" but he never did, his head was always under my ribs. No somersaults, nothing. We tried to turn him and he steadfastly refused. I wondered if it was something to do with that, but is that the sort of thing that would have shown up on a scan? No one mentioned anything like that, it only really occured to me after he was born.

WilfSell Mon 18-Aug-08 11:33:52

I don't think I've got two wombs! Well, you'd think after 3 kids and 3 sections someone (including me) would have noticed?

I was wondering about fibroids though... They run in my family and was wondering if something might be blocking off a bit of the uterus somehow?

I certainly haven't always had periods like this so something must have changed...

HeadFairy Mon 18-Aug-08 12:14:12

You may laugh, but the woman who does my waxing told me the other day they only discovered she had a bicornate uterus after three breech deliveries... they gave her a cs for the fourth. Not sure why after three breech deliveries, they might as well have done the fourth....

Perhaps your hormones have changed slightly and you get a little surge of something that makes you have a little extra bit of period.

Jackaroo Mon 18-Aug-08 12:25:09

It's something to do with your adrenal glands. ie not workign sufficiently well. Although a propery symptom, not a very important one - as in you don't need to worry about it, as long as you aren't crawling on the floor with fatigue - and other symptoms.

I finally got sent to an endocrinologist with all sorts of symptomes, this is what they said, but I wasn't sufficiently sick for them to have a solution... excellent result ???

On here for an emergency question, but couldn't let this one go.

Don't worry!

J

HeadFairy Tue 19-Aug-08 19:43:05

oh thanks jackaroo, that's resolved something I've always wondered about.

Kyoung1 Sun 04-Aug-13 16:09:42

Hi ladies I am hoping someone can help me. Similar to the problems some of you have had I was due a period on wednesday and like clockwork along it came, however it was only a very pale pink on the tissue, it then went away and along it came on saturday but this time it was brown and only on the tissue and very pale. Then sunday I wake and I know from the moment I stand up its not good. Very heavy and very painful. My husband and I are ttc. Is my body having a laugh at my expense? Help!

Foxmummy Sat 25-Jan-14 21:54:33

Hi, don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread.. I had a miscarriage last August with failed medical
Management then an emergency d&c. My periods went from a regular 4-5 days of gradually reducing flow to 1 heavy day (more like 12 hours) then nothing for about 48hours then 2-3 days of very light brown bleeding. I conceived again in November but have just miss arrived again at 6 weeks. I had a d&c last week and have retained products. I am wondering whether the change in my periods was actually due to scarring from the d&c and if I could have ashermann's syndrome. That can cause sudden alterations in menstruation.
Sorry for TMI. Does anyone out there have similar symptoms and have any idea why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now