Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in tongue - I feel sick, wish I hadn't googled.

(11 Posts)

I have had a lump about the size of a pea in my tongue for a few days. It is not visable from the outside but I can feel it if I pinch my tongue. The first day it felt tender when I squeezed it and felt fluid filled, now it doesn't hurt so much and feels more solid.

I just googled tongue lumps and the only thing I can find is about tongue cancer - I feel totally freaked out and will try to see the doctor on Monday sad but until then I know I'm just going to be worried and I know I won't sleep tonight now. I just can't have cancer, my family need me too much. I feel gutted.

Dior Sat 31-May-08 22:46:23

Message withdrawn

notjustmom Sat 31-May-08 22:47:24

i am sure it could be a huge number of things. cancer of the tongue is very rare. please try not to worry too much until you have seen the GP xx

I know cancer of the tongue is really rare and I'm not in the risk groups but it's just weird that there is no other info about tongue lumps that aren't cancerous. Why did I wait till tonight to start looking this up? sad

chequebookjerry Sat 31-May-08 22:51:19

my sister had a lump in her tongue a few years ago that sounded like yours. she had it out under general anaesthetic and was a bit sore for a while but that was it. think it was an enlarged saliva gland or somesuch so don't worry.

on the bright side she could only drink soup for a week and lost a stone. biattch grin

Be careful what you google. This time last year I spent a terrible night convinced I had kidney cancer and that I would not see my ds's (then 12m and 2.6yo) grow up.
Blood in my wee y'see, and I had googled to find out about it in the early hours.
Next day I rang NHS shaking and in tears. They asked some initial questions and one of them was 'have you eaten beetroot yesterday'

blushblushshockblushblush

Yes I'd bought a huge fresh one the previous lunchtime and eated it all myself as dp hates it.

Blood in wee? Renal cancer? No, just too much beetroot grin

(Just wanted to lighten the mood, ring nhs direct if you can't wait to see the doc on Monday)

chequebookjerry Sat 31-May-08 22:58:36

basically don't panic

its probably nothing. go to bed and stop worrying, and when you've been to the docs come back and enlighten us smile

handlemecarefully Sat 31-May-08 23:00:01

www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/mouthdiseases/bumpsinmouth.cfm

some non-cancerous reasons for bumps on the tongue!

Dior Mon 02-Jun-08 21:10:07

Message withdrawn

well I read that GPs will only look at tongue lumps that have been around for more than 10 days. so I have made an appointment for monday next week so at least if it's still around then he won't tell me to go away and wait 10 days. In fact in the last couple of days it has really gone down in the last couple of days so I'll see how it goes. I think it is some kind of zit that is now going down blush

Dior Wed 04-Jun-08 21:49:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now